My first Bar Mitzvah

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 10, 2008 in People
Shot my first Bar Mitzvah last week. It was another family from my temple who has always liked my photos.

What a fun event. I was a bit nervous, but the photos came out OK.

Any thoughts on these first few?

407549409_FV6Df-L.jpg

407551375_7Hivk-L.jpg

407552701_gEk73-L.jpg

407553341_pHJF7-L.jpg

Rabbi giving his blessing.

407551591_wYrvS-L.jpg

Proud Bar Mitzvah boy.

407548998_GxEkR-L.jpg

Comments

• TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Very nicely done.
    The window behind the boy's head in the first one is a bit distracting, but that is really being critical.
    Were you allowed to shoot during the ceremony?
    The one I did, I wasn't allowed to so everything was posed.
    Did you get any shots with the rabbi and the cantor in the photo?
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Very nice...good skin colors...good lighting. Good job. I know your clients will be happy that you were doing the shooting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Great job, really. You seemed to capture natural expressions and beautiful light.

Caroline
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    Very nicely done.
    The window behind the boy's head in the first one is a bit distracting, but that is really being critical.
    Were you allowed to shoot during the ceremony?
    The one I did, I wasn't allowed to so everything was posed.
    Did you get any shots with the rabbi and the cantor in the photo?

I agree about the window in #2. I tried a few angles but just couldn't improve it.

No shooting during the ceremony. The rabbi was kind enough to take out the torah for some posed shots before the ceremony.

Unfortunately, the cantor was not there early enough to take some portraits. I agree it would have been nice to have the boy flanked by both the cantor and the rabbi.
    edited November 5, 2008
    Great job, really. You seemed to capture natural expressions and beautiful light.

Caroline

Thanks, Caroline.

The lighting here was pretty simple. I used a single SB800 flash in a shoot through umbrella. I shot manual and set the flash on ttl. I was pretty impressed with the consistent exposures I got.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Wonderful set of photos ! that 4th is my favorite
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    You've given the family something that they will cherish for years to come. The Rabbi reaching out to the boy (or is that "man" now?) is especially moving.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Gorgeous lighting! I'm always in awe of yours... Great photos!!
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Well done...
    Well done! You were lucky that the Rabbi allowed photos of the open Torah. I did one recently where I was not allowed any photography during the time the Torah was outside the ark. Even before the service started and he reviewed with the Bat Mitzvah girl. No flash (which was expected) and the aisle was so tight that when they took the Torah out and down into the seats they moved so quickly that I had no chance to get photos. I was required to be in the back row and told that I had to use a tripod and that I was not allowed to move from my designated spot. So many rules.

The photos are really nice. Are you making an album or some framed shots?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited November 6, 2008
    Gorgeous lighting! I'm always in awe of yours... Great photos!!

Thanks, Andi.

So great to see you back here!!
    edited November 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Well done! You were lucky that the Rabbi allowed photos of the open Torah. I did one recently where I was not allowed any photography during the time the Torah was outside the ark. Even before the service started and he reviewed with the Bat Mitzvah girl. No flash (which was expected) and the aisle was so tight that when they took the Torah out and down into the seats they moved so quickly that I had no chance to get photos. I was required to be in the back row and told that I had to use a tripod and that I was not allowed to move from my designated spot. So many rules.

When I did a mitzvah no photos during the ceremony, so I video taped it, but it was through an opening in the back of the temple. I felt like I was spying, but that's where they told me to go. Aftewards, it was anything goes. I was allowed flash, etc.
    -Anthony

edited November 6, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:

Sounds like you had a crazy time with your photos. We got there very early at the Rabbi's request. He allowed us to open the ark and take out the torah only with his supervision since we had that extra time. I sent the rabbi a photo of him blessing the boy. Hopefully this will drum up some more business.

I understood ahead of time that no photos would be allowed during the service.

They only paid me to take the photos and provide them with the files. I'm going to see if I can convince them to let me make some prints and order an album. Mom is thrilled with the photos so it won't hurt to ask.
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    ... I was required to be in the back row and told that I had to use a tripod and that I was not allowed to move from my designated spot. So many rules...

I used to shoot a lot of weddings and Bar-Mitzvahs and I can really relate to this! It doesn't matter what the denomiation or religion, everything boils down to the specific clergyman you bump up against. Some are control-freaks, but most are just trying to avoid distractions.

Sadly, there are many photographers who decided that their role as paparazzi should outshine the religious and moral significance of the ceremony...and hence, such rules are put in place.

As a matter of fact, there are no religious or traditional rules against photographing the scrolls (obviously, not on the Sabbath). Just don't use them like a prop...give them the respect they deserve (I'm sure you do that anyway). In a Catholic church, don't penetrate the sanctuary area. In all cases, don't click loudly during quiet moments...try not to be seen...it's just common sense. Regardless of your religious affiliation, know the ceremony you're shooting and demonstrate your knowledge to the clergyman.

I used to show up at wedding rehearsals and try to meet with the clergy, before the day of the ceremony, to show respect and learn the rules. In this more relaxed setting I've had luck negotiating to reduce the restiction of, or even waive, rules once they knew my intent was to preserve and capture the sanctity of their ceremony without becoming the center of attention.

If you're really lucky, the clergyman is a closet photographer - then offering to come back and show them some of your results after the affair goes an awfully long way to relaxing the environment.

I understand why there are rules...and I understand how the clergy feel. They are the gate-keepers and key-holder all wrapped up in one and they have a lot of responsibility to much higher authority than the bride and groom! All most are looking for is someone who will respect the religious aspects of the ceremony and check the 'I've got a job to do' attitude at the back pieu!

- Gary.
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    These are nice shots. I love the dark and earthy stone/brick walls in the synagogue. So hard to get the creative juices flowing for these... I've got 3 booked for 2009 so far and I'm going to try to kick it up a notch. I am working with a 1-man studio that gets overbooked, and he is a stand em' up shoot em' down kind of photographer and likes me to do what he is doing... Booked one for May though that the mother prefers a pj style, so that should open a few creative doors for me. I find it real hard to get excited about b'nai mitzvah ... weddings are far more fun for me.

FME, never any photos during the service, and video only from a static camera. Rabbi sometimes comes out for the rehearsal shots, and hasn't been a problem taking out the Torah as long as he is there to do it. Actually, I think the cantor may have taken it out once but I may be mistaken.

I agree it is about respecting the customs. Speaking of which... to those that are not Jewish, do you wear a Yamicka?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
    edited November 10, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    These are nice shots. I love the dark and earthy stone/brick walls in the synagogue. So hard to get the creative juices flowing for these... I've got 3 booked for 2009 so far and I'm going to try to kick it up a notch. I am working with a 1-man studio that gets overbooked, and he is a stand em' up shoot em' down kind of photographer and likes me to do what he is doing... Booked one for May though that the mother prefers a pj style, so that should open a few creative doors for me. I find it real hard to get excited about b'nai mitzvah ... weddings are far more fun for me.

FME, never any photos during the service, and video only from a static camera. Rabbi sometimes comes out for the rehearsal shots, and hasn't been a problem taking out the Torah as long as he is there to do it. Actually, I think the cantor may have taken it out once but I may be mistaken.

I agree it is about respecting the customs. Speaking of which... to those that are not Jewish, do you wear a Yamicka?

Matt

Only if required.
    Sometimes the Rabbi requests it, other times they do not.
    -Anthony

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Respect
    The key to being a professional in any capacity and in any endeavor, photographically or not, is to be polite and respectful at all times. In a religious ceremony, wedding, b'nah mitzvah, 1st communion or whatever you'd be contracted to shoot, it would be very poor not to obey the customs of the house of worship and to be polite and professional. Sadly, I hear of many photographers who cross that line too often.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited November 10, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    I used to show up at wedding rehearsals and try to meet with the clergy, before the day of the ceremony, to show respect and learn the rules. In this more relaxed setting I've had luck negotiating to reduce the restiction of, or even waive, rules once they knew my intent was to preserve and capture the sanctity of their ceremony without becoming the center of attention.

- Gary.

Gary,
    I have done this as well, not just to get an idea of the space, etc. but to establish a relationship with the officiant.
    -Anthony

edited November 10, 2008
    Great advice from everyone here.

A little respect goes a long way in these situations.