Options

Laser Printer recommendations

jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited November 9, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hi
looking for recommendations for new laser printer. Must be photo-quality and capable of running 80 pound paper.
My primary use for this printer will be to print calendars.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jsmiley

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited November 6, 2008
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear. Good hunting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear. Good hunting.
    Thanks Ziggy I did not know where to put this one..
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    Hi
    looking for recommendations for new laser printer. Must be photo-quality and capable of running 80 pound paper.
    My primary use for this printer will be to print calendars.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jsmiley

I was hoping someone would jump in with more knowledge than I have, but let's start with some questions.

I presume you want a "color" laser printer. Is that correct?

Aside from the need for 80# paper, are there any other special needs?

What paper sizes do you want to cover?

What do you anticipate for your monthly duty cycle?

Is color fidelity more important than cost per print?

What are your resolution requirements?

Will you need to print halftones? If yes, what halftones will you need to print?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I was hoping someone would jump in with more knowledge than I have, but let's start with some questions.

I presume you want a "color" laser printer. Is that correct?

Aside from the need for 80# paper, are there any other special needs?

What paper sizes do you want to cover?

What do you anticipate for your monthly duty cycle?

Is color fidelity more important than cost per print?

What are your resolution requirements?

Will you need to print halftones? If yes, what halftones will you need to print?
    HI Ziggy
    Before I get started answering your questions. Are you expecting to have snow tonight? I see on the weather Channel 44, inches in the Dakotas.

Now down to business. Yes a color laser is what I have in mind. 13 x 17 maximum size. Currently I produce a 12 month photo calendar. Last year it was done on a offset press for $14 a calendar. This year I'm working with a local printer using a laser printer at a cost of $12.90 per copy.

Currently I'll know very little if any about a laser printer and its resolutions. Currently from a proof I use an Epson 2200. My thought was to possibly get the cost down so I could afford to do more. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    HI Ziggy
    Before I get started answering your questions. Are you expecting to have snow tonight? I see on the weather Channel 44, inches in the Dakotas.

I think I heard some mention of the "S" word in the forecast, but I don't remember hearing anything too bad. 'Tis the season.
    jsmiley wrote:

Now down to business. Yes a color laser is what I have in mind. 13 x 17 maximum size. Currently I produce a 12 month photo calendar. Last year it was done on a offset press for $14 a calendar. This year I'm working with a local printer using a laser printer at a cost of $12.90 per copy.

Currently I'll know very little if any about a laser printer and its resolutions. Currently from a proof I use an Epson 2200. My thought was to possibly get the cost down so I could afford to do more. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Color laser printers that size are called "tabloid extra" or sometimes "tabloid plus". I honestly don't have any personal recommendations because the largest I ever used was a tabloid printer, Xerox brand, with a Fiery RIP, and that was years ago.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with experience and a recommendation.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 6, 2008
    I suspect that it is much cheaper to have a service do your printing, than doing it yourself. That said, being able to print what you want, when you want, and how you want is quite compelling.

The Epson Stylus Pro 3800 has served me very well. It will print up to 17 x 22 inches, and does not seem to get the inkjet clogging that I used to deal with a lot with my previous Epson Stylus 4000. It closely matches my monitor with the profiles I use from Red River who manufactures the paper I use most frequently.

I would not think of the 3800 as a heavy duty cycle device, but it produces quite lovely output.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think I heard some mention of the "S" word in the forecast, but I don't remember hearing anything too bad. 'Tis the season.

Color laser printers that size are called "tabloid extra" or sometimes "tabloid plus". I honestly don't have any personal recommendations because the largest I ever used was a tabloid printer, Xerox brand, with a Fiery RIP, and that was years ago.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with experience and a recommendation.
    Ziggy

Thanks for the information. I will check out some of the brands that you provided.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I suspect that it is much cheaper to have a service do your printing, than doing it yourself. That said, being able to print what you want, when you want, and how you want is quite compelling.

The Epson Stylus Pro 3800 has served me very well. It will print up to 17 x 22 inches, and does not seem to get the inkjet clogging that I used to deal with a lot with my previous Epson Stylus 4000. It closely matches my monitor with the profiles I use from Red River who manufactures the paper I use most frequently.

I would not think of the 3800 as a heavy duty cycle device, but it produces quite lovely output.

Pathfinder

Thanks for your information. The Epson printers have a great print quality.

Thanks