Trial By Fire, revisited

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited November 19, 2008 in Landscapes
I spent a little time reworking post on this shot. as you can see from the timeline i seriously have no time for this type of work. I do love it though:D

anyway, since entering this into the mega challenge ive learned a few new tricks and i feel they have made the image more true and natural which is important to me. but i really like POP too, so i hope this sits well with you all. let me know your C&C good & bad please.
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Very nice improvements, Aaron. What a great capture!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Very nice enhancement Aaron.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Excellent work my friend
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Great stuff, I like the newer one even better...

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Hi Aaron. The revised processing looks better and has more pop. I actually prefer the composition of the original one though. I like the way the rock-lines flow thru the lower right corner. Also the pool in the FG is less dominating in the original. Both are sweet, nice capture.thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    thanks everyone! and Fred i have been on the fence about cropping the revised image like i did with the original.... i too kinda like the diagonal line ending up in the corner of frame...
    i will hope for some more feedback toothumb.gif

btw, this image is a result of 9 exposures within a 2 minute time frame...but the revised image is only using 2 of them, so having many exposures of the sunrise/sunstar it gives me the ability to leave out the top portion of the sun star, i felt with a full star it pulled the eye to fast to the center.... with the half star i think it forces the eye to stay in the FG longer... what do you all think?
    Aaron Nelson
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I like the second better in a lot of ways. The colors are more natural looking- the middle area is sharper than the previous post.

I disagree about the star though. I prefer the full star to the half star.

At first I wasn't sure about the crop of foreground but after looking at the shots for a while I prefer the second. In the 1st there is a diagonal line that leads to the corner but the degree in which it leads into the center is too low and too sharp. It makes all of the focus very centrally composed (middle 3rd) even though there are other things going on. The framing of the 2nd shot does a better job of leading the eye through more of the image.

Very nice though! clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    #2 rocks Aaron! I love it!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    thanks everyone! and Fred i have been on the fence about cropping the revised image like i did with the original.... i too kinda like the diagonal line ending up in the corner of frame...
    i will hope for some more feedback toothumb.gif

btw, this image is a result of 9 exposures within a 2 minute time frame...but the revised image is only using 2 of them, so having many exposures of the sunrise/sunstar it gives me the ability to leave out the top portion of the sun star, i felt with a full star it pulled the eye to fast to the center.... with the half star i think it forces the eye to stay in the FG longer... what do you all think?

I was about to ask that question because the lense flare is at different locations on both pictures. Great job Aaron, it looks marvelous.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I spent a little time reworking post on this shot. as you can see from the timeline i seriously have no time for this type of work. I do love it though:D

anyway, since entering this into the mega challenge ive learned a few new tricks and i feel they have made the image more true and natural which is important to me. but i really like POP too, so i hope this sits well with you all. let me know your C&C good & bad please.

Trial By Fire,

original:

revised:

Aaron,
    Both are amazing shots!!thumb.gif

I like the sun star more complete as in the first one, but I like the comp and the colors better in the second. I especially prefer the blue in the sky of the second. If you could add a couple more layers to get the full sun star while still retaining that blue, well... bowdown.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited November 6, 2008
    thank you everyone, those are good words to my ears!...
    now whos got the spare time to loan me so i can get to more post processing:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    thank you everyone, those are good words to my ears!...
    now whos got the spare time to loan me so i can get to more post processing:D

Isnt the the photographers entire creedo? Why is it we dont get assistants in the lab, while we get to shoot in the field
    :D

Great shot Aaron! Mind if I give it a go in simulated IR?
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited November 6, 2008
    Pezpix wrote:
    Isnt the the photographers entire creedo? Why is it we dont get assistants in the lab, while we get to shoot in the field
    :D

Great shot Aaron! Mind if I give it a go in simulated IR?

i look forward to what you come up with, lets see it asap!

though i hope to be able to be shooting IR soon...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 7, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Aaron,
    Both are amazing shots!!thumb.gif

I like the sun star more complete as in the first one, but I like the comp and the colors better in the second. I especially prefer the blue in the sky of the second. If you could add a couple more layers to get the full sun star while still retaining that blue, well... bowdown.gif

thanks, !!! the second shot is very close to what was to be seen....so prefer that sky too,
    only issue with adding the full star is the dark cloud...i gotta fix it somehow

i plan on trying again to do one like the second with the full star, but i just dont have a evening anytime soon.....maybe next week after next week:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 7, 2008
    thanks, !!! the second shot is very close to what was to be seen....so prefer that sky too,
    only issue with adding the full star is the dark cloud...i gotta fix it somehow

i plan on trying again to do one like the second with the full star, but i just dont have a evening anytime soon.....maybe next week after next week:D

Haha rolleyes1.gif

Well, I look forward to seeing it when you get around to it, but I know how you feel... I took a 2 week vacation in early September and so far have processed exactly 0 shots!! eek7.gif

I keep hoping for an evening or two to sit and do nothing else, but things always seem to pop up!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Really nice revision Aaron. The blue really makes it pop even more. Impressive!

Rags
    Rags
    edited November 8, 2008
    thanks!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 18, 2008
    im so happy, i made it to the top 100 in the outdoorphotographer.com colors contest!!!wings.gif

i feel stupid because im the only one with a watermark on the shot.....
    kinda like as if i think im so special...hahaha...UGH!eek7.gif what a dork i am....

anyway go check it out!
    http://www2.outdoorphotographer.com/colors/finalists_gallery.php?page=1
    Aaron Nelson
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    im so happy, i made it to the top 100 in the outdoorphotographer.com colors contest!!!wings.gif

kinda like as if i think im so special...hahaha...UGH!eek7.gif what a dork i am....

anyway go check it out!

Congrats! It's a fine photo to be chosen!!!!
    edited November 19, 2008

anyway go check it out!

clap.gif
    Great job Aaron!! You've got my vote!!thumb.gif
    And even if you're the only one with a watermark, at least it's somewhat unobtrusive, I didn't see it right away. One thing I did notice is that they're only creditting the photo to "aaron" perhaps you can contact them and ask them to put your last name on it too, so you get full credit!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited November 19, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    clap.gif
    Great job Aaron!! You've got my vote!!thumb.gif
    And even if you're the only one with a watermark, at least it's somewhat unobtrusive, I didn't see it right away. One thing I did notice is that they're only creditting the photo to "aaron" perhaps you can contact them and ask them to put your last name on it too, so you get full credit!!

haha, you voted for me....thumb.gif thats a friend! ive been looking at the gallery and some of those photos are WOW!

the "aaron" was my fault....i didnt realize they wanted my full name in that portion of the form...
    im kinda got into the habit of filling out online forms where my first name goes in the first block and my last in the second block....and since there was no second block i moved on without thinking hey! i gotta put my last name in there....:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 19, 2008
    haha, you voted for me....thumb.gif thats a friend! ive been looking at the gallery and some of those photos are WOW!

the "aaron" was my fault....i didnt realize they wanted my full name in that portion of the form...
    im kinda got into the habit of filling out online forms where my first name goes in the first block and my last in the second block....and since there was no second block i moved on without thinking hey! i gotta put my last name in there....:D

Well, there ARE some awesome shots in there, but I know I like that one of yours and I didn't have the time to inspect the other 99, so YOU WIN!! wings.gif

And on second thought, maybe you could just leave your name as is... start building your brand as just "aaron" Before you know it you'll be the Cher of the photography world!! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited November 19, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Well, there ARE some awesome shots in there, but I know I like that one of yours and I didn't have the time to inspect the other 99, so YOU WIN!! wings.gif

And on second thought, maybe you could just leave your name as is... start building your brand as just "aaron" Before you know it you'll be the Cher of the photography world!! rolleyes1.gif

just call me Prince. or better yet a symbol of sorts...like : $$$
    Aaron Nelson
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 19, 2008