5d Mk II - getting closer to shipping?

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited November 30, 2008 in Cameras
http://tallyns.blogspot.com/2008/11/eos-5d-updates.html

Tallyn's has the pricing confirmed as official now, which makes me wonder if we'll be seeing ship dates in the near future?

Comments

• evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    A bit anxious are we? I've been hearing end of November/beginning of December since they announced it.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    A bit anxious are we? I've been hearing end of November/beginning of December since they announced it.

Tallyn's just posted another entry on their blog:
    http://tallyns.blogspot.com/2008/11/eos-5d-updates-part-2.html

First shipment expected around Thanksgiving but will only have 3 to 5 bodies... more numbers expected in December but no word on how many.

And yes I'm anxious, I pre-ordered this what seems like eons ago, lol. I want it here NOW. And I'd love it here before the wedding I'm doing December 20th, but w/ tight shipments like that, who knows...
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Coincidentally - from an email I got from Calumet this morning:
    Delivery is not expected to start at least until the end of November,
    subject to change according to Canon.

Due to the number of backorders, it depends on how many cameras Canon
    ships, so for now we are unable to determine when the orders will be
    filled.
    edited November 7, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Coincidentally - from an email I got from Calumet this morning:

I'm guessing Canon must have mass-emailed all of their vendors yesterday / today then.
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    I hesitated in ordering the 5DII trying to decide between it and the 1DMIII. My hesitation put me back to #22 on Tallyns list.

I am going to Mexico Jan 4 to photograph the Mayan ruins. With the cameras coming in, in such small shipments I just might be using the 40D.

I sure would like to have the camera at least a week before I go to get used to the camera and decide on what I want for custom functions.

"Note to Canon", PLEASE speed up production.
    RON
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Lots of places stoped taking preorders .. predictions center around november 20-22nd.

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/11/07/canon-5d-mark-ii-pre-order-and-shipping-status/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 7, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I hesitated in ordering the 5DII trying to decide between it and the 1DMIII.

I've been pondering the same question. It seems to me if you want to primarily shoot landscapes and portraits, choose the 5DII. If you primarily want to shoot sports and wildlife, choose the 1DMIII. Ideally you want to get them both. deal.gif
  • Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    I'm like a kid who can't wait to open presents on christmas morning...

I want my camera damn it..lol:D
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Rent it :D
    edited November 8, 2008
    I'm like a kid who can't wait to open presents on christmas morning...

Haha I'm right there with you. Doesn't help that I found a very affordable used 135L that arrived last week... and I bought that lens with the intention of it having happy times w/ the new 5D.

Santa, where are you? Tell Rudolf to put a rush on those reindeer!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    I've had the 5d mark II in my hands today for a little while, but unfortunately I had to give it back :(
    Canon is still being vague about the shipping date; End of this month, early next month is what I was told.
    edited November 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I've had the 5d mark II in my hands today for a little while, but unfortunately I had to give it back :(
    Canon is still being vague about the shipping date; End of this month, early next month is what I was told.

I assume getting to hold onto it for a while has made you want the production version even more?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I assume getting to hold onto it for a while has made you want the production version even more?
    Well, it's a nice camera, for sure. Do I want one, yes. Do I need one? No. I doubt anyone really needs it.
    Whether it's November or December, I think I'll live. The release of it took almost two more years than most expected, a few weeks more or less is doable :D
    edited November 12, 2008
    I need it so desperately! Unthinkable to not own a camera that is the latest
    and greatest ... mwink.gif I preordered mine with a 5 year warranty (shop offer).
    This sucker will be my main camera for a long time to come. And some years
    I will see if it's worth to jump to the then current model.

Sure,
    one can buy a old camera but once you put your fingers on a new one you're
    spoiled. Unless you cannot afford the new cam and don't earn any money
    you will kick yourself in the butt for not getting the better (faster, longer,
    more awesomeness) camera. But then, you mileage may vary. :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited November 12, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I hesitated in ordering the 5DII trying to decide between it and the 1DMIII. My hesitation put me back to #22 on Tallyns list.

I am going to Mexico Jan 3 to photograph the Mayan ruins. With the cameras coming in, in such small shipments I just might be using the 40D.

I sure would like to have the camera at least a week before I go to get used to the camera and decide on what I want for custom functions.

"Note to Canon", PLEASE speed up production.

Did you get the one w/ the kit lens? I ordered the body only and I asked them and they said that I'm #22 on the list. So I'm assuming either you ordered the kit lens package or they're confused and one of us isn't actually 22.
    edited November 12, 2008
    I got body only. I just checked the e-mail from them and it says I'm #22. I thought you were # 15.
    RON
    edited November 12, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I got body only. I just checked the e-mail from them and it says I'm #22. I thought you were # 15.

No, right before I ordered I asked how long the list was and was told "less than 15" that was the day before my pre-order.

What date did you pre-order? I pre-ordered on September 22nd. I'm going to email them again and point this out that someone else is saying they're also #22... much confusion.

from my email from them
    "Cat,
    You are number 22 on the list.

Cheers,"
    edited November 13, 2008
    Something is wrong for sure. I pre-ordered on 9/23.

Ron,

Right now you are #22 in line for the 5DM2 Body. As of right now, there
    is no way to tell how many or how quickly we will be receiving the
    cameras from Canon. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Craig Fager
    Tallyn's E-Commerce
    RON
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    No, right before I ordered I asked how long the list was and was told "less than 15" that was the day before my pre-order.

What date did you pre-order? I pre-ordered on September 22nd. I'm going to email them again and point this out that someone else is saying they're also #22... much confusion.

from my email from them
    "Cat,
    You are number 22 on the list.

Cheers,"

I bet someone took themselves off the list - either because they're further ahead in line elsewhere or they changed their mind.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Ideally you want to get them both. deal.gif

Don't $ay thing$ like that, Joel!!!naughty.gifD
    edited November 13, 2008
    I got a reply to my inquiry about it:

"Hi Cat,

We do have a couple orders with more than one camera ordered. You are the 18th person to place an order and you will receive the 22nd camera that comes in. Let me assure you that all cameras will be sold first come first serve without exception.

Thank you,"
    edited November 13, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I got a reply to my inquiry about it:

"Hi Cat,

We do have a couple orders with more than one camera ordered. You are the 18th person to place an order and you will receive the 22nd camera that comes in. Let me assure you that all cameras will be sold first come first serve without exception.

Thank you,"

I wish they had explained it that way in the beginning. Now I get camera #26. I just hope I have it in December so I can use it some before I fly out for Mexico Jan 3 or 4.
    RON
    edited November 13, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    I wish they had explained it that way in the beginning. Now I get camera #26. I just hope I have it in December so I can use it some before I fly out for Mexico Jan 3 or 4.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they told me the camera # I was in the queue and you the order # you were... but at least with a little prodding we found out what was going on with all that confusion.

I just keep hoping Canon will ship them a lot in December early on so we can have a chance of seeing ours soon!
  • bobcanbobcan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Amazon.. Note says HERE, but site says NO...
    ..... I just keep hoping Canon will ship them a lot in December early on so we can have a chance of seeing ours soon![/quote]

> > I just got a "It's Here" note from AMAZON today, but site still says BackOrdered/Out of Stock) Must be soon I guess... ne_nau.gif
    edited November 24, 2008
    News from Canon: The 5D II will ship to retailers on Tuesday Nov 25th:

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/11/24/canon-5d-mark-ii-ships-tuesday-nov-25th/
    ― Edward Weston
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 24, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    News from Canon: The 5D II will ship to retailers on Tuesday Nov 25th:

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/11/24/canon-5d-mark-ii-ships-tuesday-nov-25th/

Something a lot of people will be "thankful" for on Thursday (Thanksgiving).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Something a lot of people will be "thankful" for on Thursday (Thanksgiving).
    We'll see!

turkey.gif
    edited November 24, 2008
    ditto to everyone else's link postings about tomorrow being the first round of ship dates:

http://tallyns.blogspot.com/2008/11/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-update.html

soooooo antsy!

and for those of you wanting to see yet another 5D Mk II video, go here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2008/nov/24/dan-chung-5dmkii
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I was first on the preorder list at Tallyn's and as expected, mine shipped from Tallyn's today, and will be in my hands on Friday (tomorrow in US is a Holiday, Thanksgiving day, no deliveries).

If you ordered a Kit, preorder, from Tallyn's, they'll have 'em Monday they said and will be shipping out to those on the list thumb.gif

Contact them if you have questions!