Options

Problem with prices

ewoldewold Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited November 6, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi. I'm having problems with prices on a private gallery. I want to set the prices to the default prices so that family can order at just printing costs. But it keeps defaulting back to my portfolio prices.

If I put a 0.00 on a product for this gallery it will remember that and not offer it, and if I put a price above the smugmug default that will work. But if I try to use the smugmug default - 0.19 for a 4x6 - it will not take the setting, but it will take 0.20.

If I use "Apply smugmug default" to "empty" field and hit preview it works and shows the correct price but when I hit apply everything goes back to my portfolio settings.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I not charge the smugmug default? What's going on?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Hi,

If you use these settings:

select gallery price then select smugmug default then all products; click on preview and you should see the default pricing set for the gallery.

Shout if you need more help

shay.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi,

If you use these settings:

select gallery price then select smugmug default then all products; click on preview and you should see the default pricing set for the gallery.

Shout if you need more help

shay.

I did all of this, the preview works, but when I apply it does not keep the settings. The gallery reverts to the portfolio price.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ewold wrote:
    I did all of this, the preview works, but when I apply it does not keep the settings. The gallery reverts to the portfolio price.

Hi Elizabeth,

I will get someone to check this.

Shay.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth,

I checked your prices while logged out and they are set at default. You're using IE7. If you download firefox and check Dominick's gallery while logged out, you will see that the gallery prices are at default. Using a second browser, while logged out, is a good way to check your pricing schemes.

Alternatively, just log out of ie7, go to the gallery and buy a print. You will see the prices in the shopping cart are at default.

Please shout if you need anything else (or if I'm wrong headscratch.gif )

Shay.

Thanks for the help. I'm assuming you work at smugmug or my gallery isn't as private as I thought! :D

I checked on a different computer with both IE and firefox(and I'm not logged in) and it's showing the prices of the 8x10 as $10.00 which is what my portfolio is set to, not what I set this gallery to. It should be the $1.99 smugmug default but it doesn't except that change. Raise it by one cent to $2.00 and it accepts it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Hi,

I found the answer! From the help page on pricing

"Note: If you've set portfolio prices and want to make prints from a certain gallery available "at-cost", we have to apologize for an inconvenience. You'll need to price the gallery at least a penny higher than SmugMug's default prices in order to override your portfolio prices."

I set your prices for the gallery to default + .01c and the price stuck. I'm sorry for the confusion.

If you check the prices while logged out, they should be .01c above default.

Shay.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ewold wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I'm assuming you work at smugmug or my gallery isn't as private as I thought! :D

I checked on a different computer with both IE and firefox(and I'm not logged in) and it's showing the prices of the 8x10 as $10.00 which is what my portfolio is set to, not what I set this gallery to. It should be the $1.99 smugmug default but it doesn't except that change. Raise it by one cent to $2.00 and it accepts it. ne_nau.gif

I do help out on the help desk, it should be good to go now. sorry again for the confusion.

Shay.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi,

I found the answer! From the help page on pricing

"Note: If you've set portfolio prices and want to make prints from a certain gallery available "at-cost", we have to apologize for an inconvenience. You'll need to price the gallery at least a penny higher than SmugMug's default prices in order to override your portfolio prices."

I set your prices for the gallery to default + .01c and the price stuck. I'm sorry for the confusion.

If you check the prices while logged out, they should be .01c above default.

Shay.

Ahh.... ok... it makes sense now. I should've checked the help first! I just didn't think this would be in there as I assumed it was some kind of bug or user error.
    Thanks for your help and for clearing up my confusion!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    ewold wrote:
    Ahh.... ok... it makes sense now. I should've checked the help first! I just didn't think this would be in there as I assumed it was some kind of bug or user error.

I'm sorry it took me so long to figure it out. Shout if you need anything else,

Shay.
  • Options
    tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Make a new gallery and move pictures
    ewold wrote:

The way I get around this issue is I create a new gallery and then move all of the pictures from the prior gallery to the new one - then I do not need to worry about the $0.01 since I do not want the "sales" from the gallery to appear in my Pro Sales stats.
    If I sell a picture CD to a client friends, I will often keep the gallery (moved as mentioned above so I can get default prices) so they have the option of still printing from Smugmug's fine printing services and have the ability to share the gallery online with their friends and family (and allow them to purchase too). Once I sell that CD, I am finished and do not want their pennies scewing my Pro Sales stats. Also, its a small and additional way to get more traffic to your site so more people to see who you are and what you do.
    Anyway, that's what I do.

Have a great day!