Slight frustration with going from a 30D to a 40D

jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited November 5, 2008 in Cameras
Well with Microsoft Cashback through live.com and eBay I was able to upgrade from a 30D to a 40D for free after the cashback. Hooray! Anyways I was playing with the 40D a little today and I noticed something somewhat odd. Despite the number of improvements that I really enjoy, something that changed that did bother me a little is that the access buttons up by the shutter are now different with ISO being on the first button rather than the second like the 20/30D. I do alot of adjustments by feel and I kept catching myself changing the wrong settings. In addition to the buttons having different assignments, when you press the ISO button instead of adjusting ISO with the thumb wheel you now adjust it with the setting wheel by the shutter. I think Im going to really enjoy this camera but it does concern me a little with using a 20D or 30D as a backup that the buttons are different... Just wondering if anyone else had been bothered by this change. Happy shooting!
Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge

Comments

• rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I will admit
    I will admit that it is easier and more foolproof to shoot with two identical cameras (especially for a guy like me who has trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time). However, I shoot with a 30D and a 40D and can live with the differences. It does take a bit of concentration but, can be done.

I usually keep the same lenses on the same cameras which eases the problem a bit. Since I have a RRS L-bracket for my 30D and none for my 40D; I usually mount my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on the 30D and the 70-200mm on the 40D. I can change from landscape to portrait on the 70-200mm lens by using the tripod ring.

Now my first two camera combo was really a pain: the 10D and 350D; two totally different cameras. Not only were the controls different but, the batteries and remotes were not interchangeable.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    FWIW - I experienced the same thing when I went from the 30D to the 50D. It's something I'll just have to get used to. Of course, I've removed the 30D from my production lineup so I don't have the confusion factor to deal with. But, yes, I did find it a bit disconcerting for the first week or so.