Options

New earrings

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited May 12, 2005 in Holy Macro
We were at a local flower show/carnival on Saturday and picked up these handmade Swarovski crystal earrings for my Mom's Mother's Day gift. I need to come up with a light tent and fishing line for this kind of shooting, but the umbrellas and dowel did ok, I think. What does the peanut gallery think? :D

earrings.jpg
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Something keeps making me takes my eyes off the picture, maybe too bright?

David
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    It's done on my new Dell monitor. Maybe I have it cranked it up too high. The background is the white part of a white/gray/black card.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    I agree with David, a too little bright for me. I think maybe a pale blue background would work better.

Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    is300soonis300soon Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    id even go with a french vanilla maybe or light light gray to bring it all out.

David
  • Options
    willow56willow56 Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    earrings
    TristanP wrote:
    We were at a local flower show/carnival on Saturday and picked up these handmade Swarovski crystal earrings for my Mom's Mother's Day gift. I need to come up with a light tent and fishing line for this kind of shooting, but the umbrellas and dowel did ok, I think. What does the peanut gallery think? :D

earrings.jpg
    i'd put them against jewelrs velvet.. the deep purple color because of the colors of the jewelry..
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    I'll see if I can get some different backgrounds and try again. Here's another from the display at the show itself. Handheld, I'm surprised it came out so well.

earrings2.jpg

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    willow56 wrote:
    i'd put them against jewelrs velvet.. the deep purple color because of the colors of the jewelry..
    Is that something I can get at the fabric store?

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    When we shoot jewelry for my dads gf's advertising (she does high end bead work on very expensive necklaces and the sort), we always us a pure white background, and halogen studio lights. If the background isn't pure white the color of the stones doesnt look right. I like your original shot minus the dowel rod. The "normal setting" picture of the trade booth makes the gems not look as brilliant. The background does look off white to me though almost blueish (did you use a cooling filter?), which might be the thing taking davids eyes off the picture cause it was doing it to me too. The frame looks white and the backdrop looks blueish white. This slight difference in the colors can be distracting and make things look not right. Then again maybe it's my monitor but thats my opinion..
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    I just checked the pic in PS. Moving from bottom to top, the RGB values go from ~255 across the board to ~250/252/254. Maybe that's that's where the slight blue tinge is coming from? I added a new Threshold layer and was able to see how the color changed slightly. I nudged the levels slider down to 249 and checked again. Everything came back as 255, top to bottom (as it should have). New pic is posted below. I'll keep that in mind from now on for white backgrounds. Thanks for your comments.

earrings3.jpg

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Maybe I am just to anal but I can see the difference in that and I do think it looks better now.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com