Found nice Mark III, price?

PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in Cameras
I've found a used Mark III. It was purchased in March of 08. It has a serial number higher than the problem range (56,5xxx), so hasn't had to go back to Canon. It has 9,600 actuations. It comes with an extra battery, a remote release, and a $100 Canon repair voucher.

What would be a fair price for this camera, with the extras?

The more I read, the less I'm concerned with the focus issues. It seems that on later cameras that were past the mirror problem range, and with 1.2.3 installed from the get-go that there haven't been the problems, other than in very bright light. There seems to be a lot of speculation that the replacement model will be out by Spring 09, but who knows. If the price goes up like it did from the 5D to 5D mk II it would seem likely that the replacement will have a street price of close to $5,000.

Do all of the 1D's come with the repair vouchers?
Canon 1D Mark IIN
Canon 350D
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS
580EX II
1.4x Extender
Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates

Comments

• PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Just a shameless bump and I'm hoping to get an opinion on a fair price for this camera. They seem to sell relatively quickly, and I'm thinking of making an offer on this one.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 5, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    Just a shameless bump and I'm hoping to get an opinion on a fair price for this camera. They seem to sell relatively quickly, and I'm thinking of making an offer on this one.

The truth is that a "fair price" is whatever you and the seller agree to. You can go to KEH and other places that have used cameras to determine what a "typical" price is. You can go to EBay and review completed auctions to see what might be a range for that venue.

I think you will find that prices for used 1D MKIII can range from around $2800 to as much as $3600. If those accessories you listed have value to you then you might take that into consideration as well.

The reason for the sale might also be a factor, if you want it to be.

If you lose this sale there might be another just around the corner.

At some point you just need to make a decision for yourself and then not look back. Never second-guess a purchase but do live and learn. There is always some risk in every purchase and ownership.

Good luck and let us know what you do. (But you don't have to share the prices if you don't want to.) We will be happy to celebrate with you no matter what you do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy. I'm normally not at all indecisive, but for whatever reason I have been with regard to my next camera body.

The AF issues with the Mk III are still a concern for me. I am guessing that with all of the press and such about it that Canon will do a better job with the next generation. I'm not going to be doing much sports stuff until next August or so, and I'm going to probably see what Canon comes out with. If close to next fall when I have a need, I'll either buy the new model if it's out, or get the best used body that I can at the time.

In the meantime I think I'm going to order a new 40D. I've read quite a bit about the 50D, especially at FM, and I'm not convinced it's a better choice for me.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    PixNW wrote:
    The more I read, the less I'm concerned with the focus issues.
    PixNW wrote:
    The AF issues with the Mk III are still a concern for me.
    Are you sure price is the issue? ne_nau.gif

Seems like you need to resolve your AF equivocation first! thumb.gif