Options

Quantum or Alien Bee

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in Technique
I was recently at a wedding where the photographer used a Quantum Q-flash off-camera with a small softbox triggered by Pocket Wizards. I don't know much about the Quantum Q-flash so I checked it out online a bit.

Not cheap ... lol. I was wondering if someone would tell me what I am missing. What is the advantage to having the Quantum over an Alien Bee?
I see that the Quantum will mount on a camera (but seems to need extra hardware to buy) not compatible with my Sony anyway. I see that the Quantum will do ttl off camera, again more accessories to buy. I also see that the battery pack is a lot lighter than the Alien Bee battery pack. Is there some other reason this set up is preferred over the alien bee to justify the large extra cost? For the price of the Quantum flash alone (no battery pack or other extras) I could get a 1600 W Alien Bee, battery pack and the softbox for just a bit more. The Quantum has more flash power than a hot shoe mounted flash but not that of an Alien Bee?

Someone with the know please teach me ... :scratch
LadyTX

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    you're paying for the implied portability of the Q-flash....the huge advertising budget that quantums uses just for the Q-flash.....it is a Hype thing.....I have watched the Q-flash for nearly 20yrs and decided it was not worth the cost since I could get at least 2 sunpak 622 Pro's for the money and they came with flash head, and a battery pack and handle to mount camera to......
    Then I started carrying my Paul Buff White Lightnings (the earliest mono light from Paul Buff) and could easily hook up an umbrella to them and run off 120 AC current (house hold electricity) since they were actually studio lights......
    Yeah that battery pack for the Paul Buff lighting equiptment is a heavy beast....but I am sure it is a workhorse also....all of Pauls stuff is quality, at least all that I have seen or used........
    If that were my only choices I would opt for the AB + battery pack......I have really liked Paul's customer service.....beeen a customer for over 20 yrs...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Thanks for the info Scott.

I have been using the HVL-56 off-camera triggered by Pocket Wizards for location shoots. I have been looking for small softbox to go on them. I found one by Alzo but it looks like the flash does not fit into the softbox and it seems there would be light escaping. That's what caught my eye at the wedding and started this whole Q-flash idea. I have been looking at the Alien Bees for studio and when I saw the price of the Q flash I figured I could kill two birds with one stone with the Alien Bees but don't know for sure about the portability with that battery pack. I will check out the Sunpak you mentioned. Are those a flash like the HVL-56 or studio or something in between. Maybe I could just go with an umbrella mount brolly box and use the 56's and still get a softbox effect?
    LadyTX