Olympus E-30 DSLR officially announced!

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in Cameras
Olympus announced their new DLSR line with the release of the E-30. It has come sooner than expected, and looks to be quite a competitive offering!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1430

Also - a hands on preview from DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0811/08110503olympus_e30_hands_on.asp

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I am starting the official "Lets buy Jonathan an E-30" fund. Donations can be made to Jonathan at paypal via jonathan@swintonphoto.com
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Yep, it looks like a nice camera, but I'm anxious to see what the street price is going to be, since the MSRP is only $200 beneath the current E-3 street price. Furthermore I'm a but surprised that at that price point, they didn't include some weather sealing. It still looks like a very attractive offering though.

Anyhow, as I'm the happy owner of an E-3 which will hopefully be with me for a couple more years, and as a pure hobbyist don't need a backup camera, I'm going to pass on this one. I morally fully support your plan in getting one though. ;)
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I'm way too invested in Canon, but ....
    This really caught my attention:
    Also present is the ability to fine-tune the phase-detect autofocus that allows adjustment of each of the 11-autofocus points individually.
    I don't really know what it means, but is sure does sound interesting - especially for a guy who, when considering which toy to play with will go with the one with the most buttonsrolleyes1.gifwink
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Increased resolution, swivel out LCD screen, lighter weight, and improved autofocus from the E-3, sounds like a nice camera to go with the 420, and it will be great for macro work and landscapes with my 9-18
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I think its a compelling camera for those moving up from the E400/500 series.
    I picked up an E-3 a few months ago and still would choose it over the E30.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    cadguru wrote:
    I think its a compelling camera for those moving up from the E400/500 series.
    I picked up an E-3 a few months ago and still would choose it over the E30.

Ya - This is not a camera to replace the E-3. This is targeted at a slightly different audience. But it is nice to see a camera for a 400/500 series upgrade that doesnt have such an enormous price difference.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I am starting the official "Lets buy Jonathan an E-30" fund. Donations can be made to Jonathan at paypal via jonathan@swintonphoto.com

The button isn't working! headscratch.gifrofl
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com