Options

Montreal - where to shoot?

BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited November 24, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi,
I'll be in downtown Montreal next week, staying near Mcgill University.

I'm looking for suggestions of interesting places to photograph while I'm there- I'll have a car, so I'm not tied down to the immediate downtown area.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Blaker

Comments

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Peel Street at at night would be cool. Especially after the Canadiens play.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    SMP_HomerSMP_Homer Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2008
    The Old Montreal is a nice area... some of the bridges are very old as well and would worth spending some time if you're into that kinda thing... subway lines... Mount Royal...
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I stayed at the four points sheraton right there.
    The cemetery is excellent for views of the area.
    Oratore St. Joseph is incredible!!
    74750476_DoBQS-M.jpg

So is the Notre Dame Cathedral, yes OOF, but still,

259683387_S65d4-M.jpg
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    AndrewTAndrewT Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    There are tons of places to shoot. Before I travel I sometimes research other people's images on Google Earth or a stock site like GettyOne for some great ideas.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor AF-S 105 VR | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | SB-600 | Gitzo G1227 MK2 | Arca Swiss Z1 | Nikon P6000
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    For sure the Old Port area.

For Urban or street photography: Rue St. Denis, Rue St. Catherine, Place Ville-Marie, the underground city.

The subway is of particular note, at least to ride and see. The cars are on rubber tires, not rails. So its quieter and smoother.

Mount Royal. Oratoire St. Joseph.

A little bit outside the island, but Old Terrebonne is the second oldest historical site in Quebec after Quebec city (the link is to get you there). Some of the remaining buildings are over 350 years old. 5 star restaurants in the area if you want fine dining. Ile des Moulins is right there.

And speaking of dining (since everyone needs to eat!):

Gibbys Restaurant is one of the best Steak Houses anywhere. The best location is right there in the Old Montreal.

Les Cons Servent is a very hip little restaurant in an older neighbourhood, about 5k from McGill area. Great food, an excellent wine cellar (thanks to Frederic Simon - Sommelier)

St. Hubert, is a popular chicken restaurant. This location is my favorite (in the Windsor train station)

just my thoughts,
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    digismile wrote:
    For sure the Old Port area.

For Urban or street photography: Rue St. Denis, Rue St. Catherine, Place Ville-Marie, the underground city.

The subway is of particular note, at least to ride and see. The cars are on rubber tires, not rails. So its quieter and smoother.

Mount Royal. Oratoire St. Joseph.

A little bit outside the island, but Old Terrebonne is the second oldest historical site in Quebec after Quebec city (the link is to get you there). Some of the remaining buildings are over 350 years old. 5 star restaurants in the area if you want fine dining. Ile des Moulins is right there.

And speaking of dining (since everyone needs to eat!):

Gibbys Restaurant is one of the best Steak Houses anywhere. The best location is right there in the Old Montreal.

Les Cons Servent is a very hip little restaurant in an older neighbourhood, about 5k from McGill area. Great food, an excellent wine cellar (thanks to Frederic Simon - Sommelier)

St. Hubert, is a popular chicken restaurant. This location is my favorite (in the Windsor train station)

just my thoughts,

Thanks, very helpful! I was wondering if there is an accessible waterfront area where you can see some of the bridges? If so, what is the best route to take from Sherbrooke O /University ave area by car?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    AndrewT wrote:
    There are tons of places to shoot. Before I travel I sometimes research other people's images on Google Earth or a stock site like GettyOne for some great ideas.

Great idea! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2008
    You have lots of places that you can see the Jacques-Cartier bridge while visiting the Old port. Just google Old Port, Montreal, QC at maps.google.ca and you can see the overall area. I usually just head to the old port and find a place to park. You can pretty much walk your way around.

But if you take the Jacques-Cartier bridge, you can exit on a small island (Ile Ste. Helene) that has a beautiful park. This is where they had Expo 67.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2008
    Blaker wrote:
    Hi,
    I'll be in downtown Montreal next week, staying near Mcgill University.

I'm looking for suggestions of interesting places to photograph while I'm there- I'll have a car, so I'm not tied down to the immediate downtown area.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Blaker

so, where did you go?