Family Self- Portrait

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited November 7, 2008 in People
My fiancé wanted a fall shot of the entire family. It didn't sound to tough, since I would just use a timer... but then I remember the dogs...

Three dogs on a ten second timer while I was rushing to get in the photo... It took 20 minutes for this one shot. I told her it was as good as it was going to get! :D

396946846_cZFBA-XL.jpg

Yup... thats a shih-tzu eating a leaf.

My setup was fairly simple. Natural light from the side throught the trees (especially so I get the sheen on my black dog's coat), my sb-800 to fill in and light needed, my D700 on a timer and my induro tripod with an Arcatech ballhead.

Note. *The printed version has my fiance's sock cloned out of the photo.
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I think you did awesome especially having to corral 3 dogs. They add a little more dynamic to the photo - the lab with the ears up staring at the shepard. My only nit is the horizon line...it appears slightly crooked.
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Hence the blurring in post-process! :D The photo was taken on a slope. I also threw a little velvia post-processing into the foreground grass a leaves. Thanks for the look Travis (nice galleries by the way).
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Hehe, I was going like, "why is my head tiltiing"...Laughing.gif Yea, for sure square that baby up. It's a real nice capture. This is only a suggestion if you want: Take it now to a new processing level....give it that family portrait "look".
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Wow, you look so different in real life, from your Avatar I thought you resembled Ron Burgundy just a tad rolleyes1.gif

This is a gorgeous shot of a gorgeous family! Kudos on the nice lighting, sharpness in all the right places. I especially commend the nice group posing (very hard to do when you're IN the shot!) and getting the 3 dogs to cooperate so nicely! Print this one big!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited November 6, 2008
    I'll work on it a little and get some different versions up.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    That's pretty awesome considering that you put it on a timer. Great job, good PP, sweet looking dogs. And your family looks great also! clap.gif
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited November 6, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow, you look so different in real life, from your Avatar I thought you resembled Ron Burgundy just a tad rolleyes1.gif

This is a gorgeous shot of a gorgeous family! Kudos on the nice lighting, sharpness in all the right places. I especially commend the nice group posing (very hard to do when you're IN the shot!) and getting the 3 dogs to cooperate so nicely! Print this one big!

Thank you. The dogs were glued into place and the kids where threatened with the strap if they moved... just kidding!

Actually, it was quite easy. Our dogs are trained very well. One trick I did was place a mirror to the camera's left for two reasons.

1) So malamute-shepherd on the right would by amused by himself in the mirror (if I looked that good I would be too).

2) the sheen on the black dog's jacket would show up.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited November 6, 2008
    After a little more pp....
    Viola...

Before
    396946846_cZFBA-XL.jpg

After
    411293542_au6t2-XL.jpg

Straighter horizon (just for you Swartzy!) and created a very slight s-curve to boost colours. I'm not sold on it yet though. This is serious stuff here people, it's going on the wall... and I hate photos of me on the wall.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Viola...

This is serious stuff here people, it's going on the wall... and I hate photos of me on the wall.

Oh, then you need to definitely clone yourself out! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif but with a beautiful family like that, you can clone me in! wings.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Beautiful shot with some nice, natural lighting.

Good job with the fill. Was the SB800 off camera with any modifiers?
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Love the shot, especially that you got the dogs in as well. The natural setting is nice, the colours, lighting, etc. :) Very nice.

-- Lisa P.
    edited November 6, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Oh, then you need to definitely clone yourself out! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif but with a beautiful family like that, you can clone me in! wings.gif

I've got a huge head in photos. Really... my cranium is massive. I bring everyone down. Seriously though... you want in.... :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited November 6, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Beautiful shot with some nice, natural lighting.

Good job with the fill. Was the SB800 off camera with any modifiers?

Nope... just used a small mirror close to the black dog to get the sheen on the coat. Straight-on fill flash and some good ol' dodgin' and burnin'. Thanks.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    awesome family photo and the colors are great with the Velvia! I took some of a family this weekend that are very similar but it was about 3pm and the sun was very intense and while the family was in the shade, the background is somewhat blown here and there. The light in your photo is spot on to me!
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Nice lighting! I can't believe you pulled off a photo with 3 dogs, using a self-timer. Bravo!

Next time if you are orchestrating your own family photo, I would have changed just a couple things.

Oldest daughter in a white blouse to match Mom and sis.

Dad definately loses the jacket and even better if he's in a white button down or a white sweater if that's your thing.

It's oh so cliche but it's that way for reason. The image instantly jumps a bunch of notches. The two dogs of contrasting color (from the white topped family) perfectly frame the group and it just works.

And if you want to get really cliche, the whole family should be wearing earth tones (maybe like your sweater) to blend with the BG and then the viewers attention will be drawn more to your faces.

Great work!!
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Beautiful portrait! Very well done!