Dominican School Boy

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 9, 2008 in People
I posted this on the Whipping Post for some C&C but no bites. Thought I would post it here in hopes of getting some feedback.

I took this image while visiting a school in the Dominican Republic. This little boy was sitting off to himself in class. I tried to speak to him but he was very cautious and would not come out of his shell. I gave him a lollipop and some crayons but still no dice.

I'm really trying to improve my skills and would love to hear some feedback on general composition and exposure of the image but also on the black & white conversion. I'm relatively new to photography and this is my first B&W conversion. I followed one of the tutorial on D-Grin.

Any tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Exposure: 1/30 sec @ f/3.5
Focal Length: 32mm
ISO: 400
Flash: None

410400109_5B9j5-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I saw this in the portrait challenge thread and think it is a spectacular portrait. The lighting is gorgeous here...nice light in the eyes, great exposure of his dark skin (no easy feat!) The expression and body language have just enough tension.

Personally I think this is a very timeless photo, a true journalistic photograph. A little softness goes a long way...looks like a film shot to me. Well done!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Beautiful! Truly a portrait with soul.

Virginia

Email
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I saw this in the portrait challenge thread and think it is a spectacular portrait. The lighting is gorgeous here...nice light in the eyes, great exposure of his dark skin (no easy feat!) The expression and body language have just enough tension.

Personally I think this is a very timeless photo, a true journalistic photograph. A little softness goes a long way...looks like a film shot to me. Well done!
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Beautiful! Truly a portrait with soul.
    Thanks. I am still learning so your comments are quite encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site