Samantha - 8 imgs

adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in People
I had the opportunity to photograph this sweet little 6 year old this past weekend. I finally made it through the pics and wanted to share some. Any c.c. is always greatly appreciated!!
410231979_VcMqG-M.jpg

410246146_YCmgS-M.jpg

410262791_uiu6z-M.jpg

410269193_chdDw-M.jpg

410271115_zqT8a-M.jpg

410272683_nEiPC-M.jpg

410287074_CV2BW-M.jpg

8. This one is just fun to me... may not be a great shot... but such a great smile / laugh!
410302443_fDMqw-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    I really dig #2. #3 seems a tad blue tinted. These really seem to capture her personality :)
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Thank you Shima... and I think you're right about #3! ;) I appreciate the feedback on #2! ;) It's one of my faves too.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    2 and 3 are the strongest of the set. The blue tint is not so evident in 2, but if you can do some levels adjustments, I'm sure you don't have to throw them away. They are great shots! Great work.clap.gif

---edit---

Want to try some B&W on 3? Maybe Sepia? I would love to see how those would look. Wish I brought my laptop with me to work, I would have given it a go. (With your permission ofcourse.)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Personality Rules
    I think I like the last one the best! Her real personality shows and she looks her age. I'm not sure the Senior posing sequence works as well (1,3,4,5). I just don't feel its a natural setting for a girl her age. I also really like number 2 - again, this is a place I'd expect to find her (and by the way, I wouldn't expect to find an older girl laying on a deck)...and I love that she's not distorting her face with her hands (my usual complaint).

I've always felt that environmental pics of young kids should be in their natural surroundings - playgrounds, lawns, ballfields, etc. When we take them to the 'brick wall', we tend to try to make them look more grown up than they are - and the result feels out of place.

2 and 8 are wonderful shots and have feeling, personality, presence, and are environment-appropriate...I can believe you just found her there and captured her image. Nice work!

- Gary.
    edited November 9, 2008
    A little more
    Oh...and I like your post processing on #2 as well...subtle vignetting and really drawing my eyes to her face...it works.

I liked #7 for it's location and your camera angle...the problem is all the stuff in the background. Perhaps your can post process some natural looking blur on those items, with a little vignette and you might salvage the shot.

- Gary.
    edited November 10, 2008
    Thank you Trevlan. You are more than welcome to try B&W on 3... I didn't get a chance to play around with it this weekend. I'm thinking b&w may salvage that photo! Thanks much for your suggestion and thoughts!!

Thank you Gary as well! Fantastic feedback. I didn't even think about the brick wall being more "senior" photo style! Sheesh, but I completely see what you mean. For what it's worth, we were hoping to send a couple to a modeling agency for her, but I am just not sure what people like that need. I need to do my research. Great advice on #7 as well! I'll see what I can do with it!

Thanks to both of you!!
    edited November 11, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    ...For what it's worth, we were hoping to send a couple to a modeling agency for her, but I am just not sure what people like that need. I need to do my research. ...

From my experience with talent agencies, first they want to see faces - and nothing to distract them. So plain or way-out-of-focus backgrounds are key at first. Secondly, they want to see full-figure, interests, and skills...but again, nothing to distract them. So really pretty location shots are not necessary. No one is interested in how good the photographer is...unfortunately :)

Lastly, unless the child has a special talent/feature you want to focus in on (a specialty), you want to portray versatility. So show a variety of expressions, activities, skills, etc.

- Gary.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Thank you Trevlan. You are more than welcome to try B&W on 3... I didn't get a chance to play around with it this weekend. I'm thinking b&w may salvage that photo! Thanks much for your suggestion and thoughts!!

Thank you Gary as well! Fantastic feedback. I didn't even think about the brick wall being more "senior" photo style! Sheesh, but I completely see what you mean. For what it's worth, we were hoping to send a couple to a modeling agency for her, but I am just not sure what people like that need. I need to do my research. Great advice on #7 as well! I'll see what I can do with it!

Thanks to both of you!!

I definately bring my laptop tomorrow. I'll have something for you by the afternoon.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    #7 is my pick...I like everything about it!!!...clap.gif

all keepers for sure!thumb.gif
    edited November 12, 2008
    Gary - Thank you!! I really appreciate the time to write that out. I was thinking that what you said was the case. I think we got a couple decent ones for this... we'll see.

Trevlan - sounds great!

jeffreaux2 - Thank you!! ;)
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Great photos!

I like #2 & #6 the best.

take care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com