Options

Help me quick please

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited November 7, 2008 in People
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, so please feel free to move if it isn't.

I'm going to a NIN concert Saturday at Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH I want to capture some good shots, or atleast ones that aren't completely blurred :rofl I am sitting in section 107 if you look at the map link. I have my Rebel XTI, and my lens choices are, Canon 24-105L, Tamron 70-300, and Canon 50mm 1.8 (which I'm sure will be useless for this) What would be the best choice to bring, and what the heck would my settings be on the camera? I've never taken pictures in such low light before, without my flash (and I'm sure my 430EX won't help either)

NIN is know for having a great show with tons of crazy lighting, so I may be able to catch some shots, but being a novice photographer I don't want to bring my camera and have every shot look like utter crap!! :D
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    First, you might check with Verizon to see what the restrictions on SLRs are. Typically, larger venues enforce the band's desires to restrict what they deem as "professional photography". This usually is defined as cameras with a detachable lens. If that is the case, your best bet would be to take the 50mm because on the Rebel (assuming you don't have a grip, in which case I would ditch it) it might look like a small enough set up to get past security.

I am not familiar with the 24-105 L to know if that would be great here. The IS will help, as well as the reach, but if memory serves it's not very fast (f4?)

I would start out with ISO 800 (1600 if you need it) and try to shoot wide open...with enough shutter speed to hand hold (focal length x2)

hope that helps...
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    First, you might check with Verizon to see what the restrictions on SLRs are. Typically, larger venues enforce the band's desires to restrict what they deem as "professional photography". This usually is defined as cameras with a detachable lens. If that is the case, your best bet would be to take the 50mm because on the Rebel (assuming you don't have a grip, in which case I would ditch it) it might look like a small enough set up to get past security.

I am not familiar with the 24-105 L to know if that would be great here. The IS will help, as well as the reach, but if memory serves it's not very fast (f4?)

I would start out with ISO 800 (1600 if you need it) and try to shoot wide open...with enough shutter speed to hand hold (focal length x2)

hope that helps...

Oh Crud I'm glad you told me that I would never have thought of that. I checked their policy and no I cannot bring it, so I will be bringing our Canon PowerShot SX100 IS Let's hope I can get a picture good enough to post ne_nau.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11