Options

cs4

Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited November 10, 2008 in Finishing School
So i am running windows vista and CS4 and it is running like crap when trying to edit photos. Really laggy and slow at processing and such. Anyone else having these problems?
http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
jtrankler@gmail.com
Canon 60D
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Canon 70-200 F4 L IS

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Upgraded to CS4 from CS3 (and all versions previous) and I have seen nothing but performance improvement.

However, I did experience a serious performance degradation earlier this year when I was still running CS3. For example, if I was using Bridge to run Image Processor to batch resize a group of RAW files to smaller jpegs. Each image should normally take about 4-6 seconds to process on my machine. It was suddenly taking 45 - 70 seconds each.

I am running 32-bit Vista Ultimate, 4Gb RAM, 2.2 Ghz Core2 Duo processor, nVidia Geforce 8800 GTX video card, with lots of swap space, etc. I tried the LR2 demo and it performed slowly as well. After looking at lots of threads on Adobe and elsewhere on performance issues, I couldn't find anything that worked. But one day I stumbled upon a thread that fixed everything ...

I don't know why, but PS just dies for several types of processing if you have a network printer as your default printer. We bought a wireless all in one printer for use at home. Never thought my default printer would affect my photoshop! So now I have my default printer set to a dummy local printer and all is back to normal. Turns out the rest of the family had the same problem with their photoshop elements and didn't know it. They thought they just had slow machines!

So that is the Shot in the Dark solution. The one other area that I would look closely at is your video card. If it's an Nvidia card, I've seen lots of posts on that (most of them fixed by driver updates and default setting changes).
  • Options
    Budley007Budley007 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2008
    It might be related to the OpenGL feature. If you search Adobe forums, you should find several post concerning slow performance along with various solutions that seem to work. Maybe you can try your luck there.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Budley007 wrote:
    It might be related to the OpenGL feature. If you search Adobe forums, you should find several post concerning slow performance along with various solutions that seem to work. Maybe you can try your luck there.

15524779-Ti.gif

I haven't loaded CS4 on my Vista machine, but it's on my super-deluxe beloved XP workhorse. I had to update my video card drivers and now CS4 is like smoking crack-- I'm totally addicted. Not that I've ever tried crack, just a figure of speech. :D

Seriously, the smoothness of zooming in and out the way images are displayed is killer. I tried working in CS3 a bit last night and it felt so jerky and clunky. I am awed by the the new CS4 graphics features alone. Yeah, it took a bit to get used to but now it's fantastic-- panning around images is like ice hockey compared to street hockey. Okay, okay, enough silly cliches!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Guess i will have to check for new drivers.

Because there is no reason my computer couldn't handle it lol.

Intel 3.0ghz dual core, 4 gigs DDR2, Nvidia 260 video card...

I can handle running multiple games browsing web, running itunes, vent all at once with no issues.

But running just PS cs4, when i change to say the paint brush tool and move it across the picture it just lags up.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS