Options

Thelma and Louise, Bonnie and Clyde

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in Journeys
I love traveling and what can be better than taking a road-trip, with an awesome friend?

I've recently been to the United States and did some non-work related traveling; a road-trip! I had the pleasure of having the very lovely and talented Schmoo as my road-trip partner :clap

It started with the Dgrin Shootout, actually. I've wanted to be part of one for a very long time and this year it was finally going to happen! I had signed up, paid the deposit and got some time off from work. Since Arches National Park is a bit of a bicycle-ride away for me, I decided to take some extra time off from work and do some traveling before the actual shootout. Schmoo doesn't have a problem with traveling either and at some point (I'm not even sure what point or how it happened exactly; it was just 'there' all of a sudden :D ) we agreed to take a road-trip together. Sort of like Thelma & Louise, except for the fact that we are a boy&girl, didn't have a gun and that we didn't drive of a cliff in the end. (Actually, one of us hasn't even seen that movie yet. I won't tell you who it is, but it's not me :lol3)

Tickets were booked, cars were rented, and hotels were reserved.

The general idea/route.
Initially we both flew in to San Jose (California). We stayed in the Bay area for a few days, then moving south towards San Luis Obispo (California). From there, we'd go east/north towards our interim destination Salt Lake City (Utah). From there, the final destination, Moab to meet up with the other shoot-outters :D After the shootout, Schmoo was going back home, and I was going to Florida to visit some friends.

A picture says more than a thousand words:
20081106-kpki9i8iyh7jp9cgc6f9b5mhiw.jpg
The markers you see are just some places we stopped, definitely not all :D

The images that are used in this thread, are a mix of images shot by my Canon 30d, an IR converted Rebel XT/350d, an iPhone and a Canon G9. Also, some photos are clickable and bring you to a (bigger) lightbox version.

The first day we visited SmugMug headquarters, I had actually never been there before.
I was in luck, since quite a few Smuggers were around that day, so I got to meet a lot of them. (Later in Moab, I met some of the other ones, too.) They were all very awesome, actually.

Baldy's quest for the perfect pano of San Francisco was ongoing and at some point it was decided that the three of us would give it a shot (lame pun intended :lol3). We headed up to SF, and found a spot:

This is a 6-shot Panorama of San Francisco:
401256864_VLwV3-XL.jpg

Later, we also found another spot. Baldy suggested it was great for getting a shot of the Bay Bridge, but by the time we made it there, it was actually quite foggy:
410702528_k4zJp-L.jpg

Baldy showed us around San Francisco a bit more, we took a few night-shots and then we headed back.

The next day, Schmoo and me went back to San Francisco to do some day-shooting and meet up with one of her friends.

Before we met up with her, we visited Chinatown; Of course, a shot of one of the many trams had to be done :D
410530866_Q8T5S-L.jpg

People sitting around, reading papers of which I didn't understand anything :scratch. It might as well have been Chinese :dunno
411997818_65cU9-L.jpg

We walked around a bit, had some sushi in the 'floating boat sushi restaurant' (When in Rome....) and took some photos. There was this one multi-story store that sold all sorts of Chinese things and a lot of them. The basement had a lot of Sake and tea bottles/kettles and glasses:
403726984_NE2Jd-XL.jpg

Across the street, another store; This 'cashier' was sitting on the counter and couldn't be bothered by anything happening around him (her?).
405216604_W5oSy-L.jpg

We also saw some decoration on the walls. I'm not sure exactly what it was about, but it looks interesting:
403713939_3JbnC-XL.jpg

More reasons to be very happy and excited; I got my hands on an IR camera :smo
This is San Francisco with the bay and the Palace of Fine arts in the distance on the left:
410523663_N3Fk4-XL.jpg

I've never seen signs like this, and I had never seen Alcatraz either:
411998254_JKbPX-L.jpg

San Francisco has a wave organ, too.
411998859_c58SY-L.jpg

At the wave organ, I also photographed Schmoo:
403706155_r9ukz-XL.jpg

After the Bay area, we drove South, towards San Luis Obispo.
There was a hotel there which apparently is pretty famous, for the type of rooms they have. They are all.... different. In every way you can think of.

One of the most obvious 'different' things, was this dining room :lol3
405222653_gmwF2-L.jpg

I liked the shadows of the deck:
405221011_w8HBo-XL.jpg

This was one of the staircases. It reminds me of "What's behind door number 1?!"
405219213_VmZAf-XL.jpg

Breakfast time! This was shot in a mirror. Every room was 'special'; This whole room was filled with copper chairs and tables, flowery carpet and other things:
405222755_L6uTG-L.jpg

We visited the city of San Luis Obispo to have food, and have a look around. We found an old mission, at least that is what the sign said :lol

Around the mission there were white trees, almost looking like elephants' legs; There also was an interesting, citrussy, smell there. This is Schmoo, trying to figure out if the smell came from the trees:
405227135_5SUy4-L.jpg

Back in the hotel, I noticed a penny-machine. I also saw this sign, which was funny to me; I could just see a whole line in front of the machine, someone discovering this sign, and then a stampede of half the line to the other machine :lol3
409028425_vsQSS-M.jpg

The next day, we drove on, passing the Mojave desert.
Along the road, there were tons of windmills. We have quite a few of them in the Netherlands, but I've never seen this many together really.
We stopped on the side of the road to take a few shots and record a small movie clip.
405237637_HvokW-XL.jpg

<object width="425" height="318"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDAwMTQ1MjY0Jms9b3hkZEUmYT02NDAxNzk3X3BBRzJWJnU9SXZhcg==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDAwMTQ1MjY0Jms9b3hkZEUmYT02NDAxNzk3X3BBRzJWJnU9SXZhcg==" width="425" height="318" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

We stopped in Mojave, too. It excited my very much, because of the fact that Scaled Composites is located there (not that I saw them :lol3).
Scaled Composites is an aerospace and composites company. They played a big part in developing Spaceship One. They have a lot to do with other interesting air/space-crafts. Maybe they need a test-pilot? :D

The Chamber of Commerce even had a big sign of one of their ventures on the building :D
405240052_QNrUb-L.jpg

Driving on! Along the US 58, somewhere, this farm:
410523975_6j7wZ-XL.jpg

And later on that same road, another IR shot of the US58 itself.
410524114_ZYHwF-L.jpg

More driving!!! We stopped in Las Vegas, but Las Vegas didn't like us :wxwax
We tried to find the strip, I got a sign of what is probably the most tacky store in Vegas and we had some dinner, before we moved on.
405241104_yasmG-L.jpg

We actually stayed the night in Mesquite, NV;

The next day we drove on to Salt Lake City, but not without making some stops on the way.

We got very close to Zion National park, so how could we not stop there?
We made the mistake of going in to the park by car; You can only park your car in the beginning, after which a shuttle takes you around. Too bad there was no parking space anymore, though :wxwax We must have been looking for one for about 45 minutes? Just by the time we decided we were going to leave, a spot opened up! I guess all we need to is threaten;
410530588_APCrS-L.jpg

More to come, later!

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    We got very close to Zion National park, so how could we not stop there?
    We made the mistake of going in to the park by car; You can only park your car in the beginning, after which a shuttle takes you around. Too bad there was no parking space anymore, though umph.gif We must have been looking for one for about 45 minutes? Just by the time we decided we were going to leave, a spot opened up! I guess all we need to is threaten

More to come, later!

We used our battering ram to nudge our way into some bushes and park in Zion. :Drolleyes1.gif Nice pictures Ivar, looking forward to seeing more!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Love the deck and staircase shots - great perspective and color.

I am also looking at your SF shots for ideas for my December trip! mwink.gif

Looking forward to more.

ann
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Fantastic photos and story, especially the fisheye and IR shots.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    very cool, i love the US58 road shot.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Nice summary of what looks like a great trip!

Oh, and nice shots, too! :D

I like the off-kilter b/w road shot. Oh, and aside from the camera in her face, that's a mighty cute (intentional use of the word for Schmoo's sake) shot of Schmoo!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    I like the map! Looks like you had a great time.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    I really like the IR shot of SF. Well done.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like the off-kilter b/w road shot. Oh, and aside from the camera in her face, that's a mighty cute (intentional use of the word for Schmoo's sake) shot of Schmoo!
    umph.gif

We totally should have done what John and crew did to find parking at Zion. Why didn't we think of that after 30 minutes of circling? lol3.gif

Man, what I wouldn't give to be on the road again, Thelma. Photos don't do the experience justice! But you're giving it a real run for the money. I really can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Thanks for the compliments so far, guys! I agree Schmoo, this thread doesn't do the actual trip justice. But it's still fun to relive it :D
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Here is a little more:

After we visited Zion National Park, we stopped in a little place in Springdale to get some food. Besides food, they also do drinks. HUGE drinks, like ice tea:
    405230076_BkECx-L.jpg

After some food, we drove on again. This is our car, around sunset:
    (I think Chronologically, this actually goes before Vegas, but I forgot about it earlier lol3.gif)
    405238661_WYrvb-L.jpg

And we thought WE had a lot of crap with us....
    409033631_oH4iz-L.jpg

We arrived at Salt Lake City (close enough, anyway :D). We were staying with someone who lived up a little higher, and from the end of the street, Salt Lake City could be seen.
    We tried to shoot Salt Lake City by night; I'm not sure about Schmoo, but my attempts failed miserably. This was our spot, Schmoo and some of our gear:
    409035814_iN8dH-L.jpg

Onwards! To the Dgrin Shootout '08! (Moab/Arches National Park area)
    The first spot we visited was 'Delicate Arch'.We were not alone; Photographers were all over the place;

Some (Andy) had the tendency to get in front shots and then say "Is this annoying?" lol3.gif
    409040634_4H7xB-L.jpg

Other photographers (Ian408) were found, sort of cocooning on the ground:
    409044003_uyMCg-L.jpg

Did I mention we weren't the only ones? lol3.gif
    409045632_Ctpfg-L.jpg

The sunset was gorgeous, and a lot of people were enjoying it:
    409032525_ti4Rx-XL.jpg

After Sunset, most people left. We stayed around for a little bit.
    414808744_gRvnx-XL.jpg

And, I had my first try at Startrails! :smo wings.gif
    409047656_uy6Gj-L.jpg

We also visited Dead Horse Point: (also posted here)
    406751698_7q7hi-XL.jpg

Chip 'n' Dale made their appearance at Dead Horse Point were since the goal of a Coldclimb and Prezwoodz' (photographic) hunt (which was successful, too):
    409080391_FTwBf-XL.jpg

The same two guys, together with 3 others, decided to, well, basically jump in to a big whole in the ground:
    414812421_LNtiC-L.jpg

I think it was Jess who dared Tracy to play the "can you eat 7 saltines in one minute?"-game. She didn't win:
    409094218_9x9NY-XL.jpg

Jess is reconsidering before her first jump:
    409090476_uut8g-XL.jpg

Richard, on the other hand, is totally ready:
    414812727_CpfVt-XL.jpg

Near Landscape Arch:
    409109463_YwH94-L.jpg

Again, there always seem to be other photographers in the way of shots :D
    This is the sunrise at Landscape Arch:
    408969213_GwaZH-XL.jpg

The last day;
    Again: and we thought WE had a lot of crap with us....
    You may have seen shots of their car in other threads, but I still wanted to record this as it was just too funny (and impressive at the same time) to see lol3.gif
    399378201_KL6Pd-L.jpg

Tea! This was shot with my G9, during our last real breakfast together, at 'the love muffin' (where they didn't know the difference between vegan and vegetarian).
    For two people who drink a lot of tea, we sure didn't drink a lot of tea during our trip, even though we carried several pounds of it, at least. On most days it was even limited to one cup a day :( BUT we got to have some nice tea, here:
    399378523_UjdLh-L.jpg

It started with Schmoo photographing Baldy, when we went shooting with him in San Francisco. Later, I was the target, and now I got Schmoo :D The funny thing is, we kept cleaning the windows, but only the right side of the car, since that was the non-driver's seat, and (s)he could take pictures lol3.gif
    399380792_vJrvP-L.jpg

After the shootout, we drove back to Salt Lake City; Sadly it was the last day that I would have my road-trip partner around :'(

My last shot of Schmoo; I shot this at high ISO, at the airport. I actually kind of liked the noise in it, so I added some more:
    399401503_WtnMd-L.jpg

After our trip, Schmoo went back home, and I continued my journey (not by car lol3.gif) to Naples, Florida.
    I have lived in there for several years and I wanted to go back to visit some old friends.

One of my friends gave birth to twins almost 5 weeks prior to me visiting;
    Meet Ella:
    414805437_zfmdR-L.jpg

and Jack:
    414805669_tRDYR-L.jpg

Finally, one last IR shot of one of my favorite places in the world, downtown Naples, Florida:
    414805854_FYXuy-XL.jpg
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I know I'm wierd perhaps in what I like....But I LOVE that shot of the Bay Bridge.

Besides that, I loved all your shots....your capture of memories is Mahvalous!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Oooh, wow, awesome stuff Ivar! :D Thanks again for sharing, I'm loving seeing everyone's different perspectives of the same event.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I love your take on things! And you already know how I feel about it but I have to tell the world just how awesome this shot really is to me, and I'll do it by getting publicly gratuitous with the smilies:

409032525_ti4Rx-S.jpg

iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust iloveyou.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclap bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Your photography is, as always, such a great collection of candids captured at the most precise, perfect moments, just when things are looking their best. That's not something that comes easily!

Thanks for preserving such a great two weeks so well.

(You missed a spot on the Rebel sensor, btw lol3.gif)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I love your take on things! And you already know how I feel about it but I have to tell the world just how awesome this shot really is to me, and I'll do it by getting publicly gratuitous with the smilies:
    I was thinking the same thing. For a place so crowded, this is awesome.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Ivar !
    Amazing photos man loved them iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    A nice collection of Schmootography! An insight for sure.

PS: Nice essay.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    This has got to be one of the most fun journey threads I've read. Coolness to you and Schmoo for doing that and sharing the images. thumb.gif
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    You have such a stunning journey. The photographs are like a diary. Wow! clap.gif
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Excellent journey. Loved all of them. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I know I'm wierd perhaps in what I like....But I LOVE that shot of the Bay Bridge.

Besides that, I loved all your shots....your capture of memories is Mahvalous!!
    Thanks so much! It's not that weird, is it? :D I just had the bay bridge printed, at 20x20 and it looks great! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    Oooh, wow, awesome stuff Ivar! :D Thanks again for sharing, I'm loving seeing everyone's different perspectives of the same event.
    Thanks! I have some more shots from/for you and the rest of the alaskan gang soon thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

409032525_ti4Rx-S.jpg

iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust iloveyou.gifclap.gifclapclap.gifclap bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow

Your photography is, as always, such a great collection of candids captured at the most precise, perfect moments, just when things are looking their best. That's not something that comes easily!

Thanks for preserving such a great two weeks so well. [/SIZE]
    Thank you so much, my dear. I had that one printed, also, 20x30 and it too looks great clap.gifwings.gif

See you next week!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I was thinking the same thing. For a place so crowded, this is awesome.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. It's one of my favorite pics from the trip too, actually.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Ivar !
    Amazing photos man loved them iloveyou.gif
    Thanks Awais! that means a lot coming from you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    A nice collection of Schmootography! An insight for sure.
    lol3.gif Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    This has got to be one of the most fun journey threads I've read. Coolness to you and Schmoo for doing that and sharing the images. thumb.gif
    Woah, thanks so much! I appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    You have such a stunning journey. The photographs are like a diary. Wow! clap.gif
    Thanks, I did have an AWESOME journey actually, I still think back about it a lot.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2008
    Excellent journey. Loved all of them. clap.gif
    Thanks so much! I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the images lol3.gif