Profile conflicts with Colorspace

monkeydeusmonkeydeus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 9, 2008 in Finishing School
This problem I am having is very odd. When I use a calibrated monitor profile, I get weird color shifts between color spaces. Specifically, what should be red, is orange, when I am using the Adobe RGB color space. If I change to the ProPhotoRGB color space, reds look fine. This happens in Lightroom, as when I switch between library and develop modules, as library uses AdobeRGB for display, and develop uses ProPhoto for rendering. It also happens in Photoshop, naturally. Colors look fine outside of the adobe products.

I am using vista 64 with an i1 display 2. I've tried different monitors (LCD and CRT), different graphics cards, etc. Always the same. If I do not use the profile, i don't get these red/orange shifts. I have tried profiling and reprofiling many times, so i don't think it is just a corrupted profile. Any ideas?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    monkeydeus wrote:
    This problem I am having is very odd. When I use a calibrated monitor profile, I get weird color shifts between color spaces. Specifically, what should be red, is orange, when I am using the Adobe RGB color space. If I change to the ProPhotoRGB color space, reds look fine. This happens in Lightroom, as when I switch between library and develop modules, as library uses AdobeRGB for display, and develop uses ProPhoto for rendering. It also happens in Photoshop, naturally. Colors look fine outside of the adobe products.

I am using vista 64 with an i1 display 2. I've tried different monitors (LCD and CRT), different graphics cards, etc. Always the same. If I do not use the profile, i don't get these red/orange shifts. I have tried profiling and reprofiling many times, so i don't think it is just a corrupted profile. Any ideas?

It sounds to me like you have double profiling going on somewhere. I would suggest checking your startup code and getting rid of any programs from your video card manufacturer that might be also applying the profile in addition to Lightroom.

Also your info about Lightroom sounds unusual. Why do you think that the library view uses AdobeRGB and the develop view uses ProPhotoRGB? I'm under the impression that they both use the same display engine and it's based on ProPhotoRGB.

The other thing that could be going on is if you had some double profiling going on when you made your profile, then your profile will be off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • monkeydeusmonkeydeus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Thanks John. I've come across those suggestions before, and haven't had much luck, although it is possible I don't know what I am doing. One thing that confuses me is, you'd think if it were a case of double profiling, or corrupt profiling, i'd see it in other contexts, besides the adobe tools, but I don't. And when I choose ProPhoto in PS, things look fine. You'd think everything would exhibit some "wrong" color shift if the profiles were off. I've checked my startup code and disabled at startup the nVidia routines - no luck. Maybe there are others, I'll need to double check. As far as double profiles - when I make a profile, there are none applied currently to the monitor. I'm not sure how I could be doubling it up, or what else besides the video card could be making the problem, but it is possible. RE: Lightroom - I read it on an adobe forum - it was from one of the adobe people, not just any poster - and it sure matches what I am seeing in photoshop. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333659
    jfriend wrote:
    It sounds to me like you have double profiling going on somewhere. I would suggest checking your startup code and getting rid of any programs from your video card manufacturer that might be also applying the profile in addition to Lightroom.

Also your info about Lightroom sounds unusual. Why do you think that the library view uses AdobeRGB and the develop view uses ProPhotoRGB? I'm under the impression that they both use the same display engine and it's based on ProPhotoRGB.

The other thing that could be going on is if you had some double profiling going on when you made your profile, then your profile will be off.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    monkeydeus wrote:
    Thanks John. I've come across those suggestions before, and haven't had much luck, although it is possible I don't know what I am doing. One thing that confuses me is, you'd think if it were a case of double profiling, or corrupt profiling, i'd see it in other contexts, besides the adobe tools, but I don't. And when I choose ProPhoto in PS, things look fine. You'd think everything would exhibit some "wrong" color shift if the profiles were off. I've checked my startup code and disabled at startup the nVidia routines - no luck. Maybe there are others, I'll need to double check. As far as double profiles - when I make a profile, there are none applied currently to the monitor. I'm not sure how I could be doubling it up, or what else besides the video card could be making the problem, but it is possible. RE: Lightroom - I read it on an adobe forum - it was from one of the adobe people, not just any poster - and it sure matches what I am seeing in photoshop. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here it is: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333659

That's interesting to know about the library module. It looks like they store generated previews in 8-bit AdobeRGB to save space (ProPhotoRGB needs 16-bits and that would be at least twice as large) whereas everything in the develop module is 16-bit ProPhotoRGB.

Anyway, I have no idea how else to help with your system. Maybe clear your Lightroom preferences in case they somehow got borked.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Check that the image HAS a profile assigned, it sounds to me as though it DOES NOT. Then each program deals with it in the 'best' way it can.

Not sure why you are seeing a change in two modules in LR, I've never had that. But I have had significant differences between LR and PS displaying the same image...

Cheers