Different ideas for #12 - C&C please

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 12, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had thought of this as soon as the competition was announced, but didn't expect to be in the area where it's located in the time period. However, had to travel yesterday on a last-minute trip, and this time remembered to take the camera with me! Yay.

I had NO IDEA how to convey the size of it, however - the immediate surroundings/background are just ugly (it's at a train station) and it was nearly impossible to get an attractive angle (esp since my widest lens is only 28mm!!). There was also ZERO sky yesterday. However, here'sa sjot pretty much SOOC:

~40ft high Statue in the grounds of Hamilton Train Station

IMG_3380s.jpg

There's also this across the street - NO photoshop involved except to clone out the highway signs and boost curves/brightness a little (the "man: in the background is part of the sculpture!). There was NO good angle for this, particualrly with traffic at 70 mph!! On the other side is an Amtico factory - I tried juxtaposing that, but it just looked ugly rather than meaningful ;)

I'm not convinced it has much of a message beyond capturing an image of .... well... this somewhat WEIRD sculpture. I have NO IDEA what it's supposed to be, but it makes me laugh every time I see it... (giant tooth? Tusk?). However, since it makes me laugh every time I drive by it, I share it both for the humour factor, and to see if anybody else thinks it should be entered. Massive it most certainly is... ;)

IMG_3437s.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    That giant tooth nails the theme! thumb.gif

I didn't know you lived near Grounds for Sculpture/Hamilton. eek7.gif They have some pretty cool stuff there, eh?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    That giant tooth nails the theme! thumb.gif

I didn't know you lived near Grounds for Sculpture/Hamilton. eek7.gif They have some pretty cool stuff there, eh?

Actually I don't live near there, but it's the bottom end of the NJTransit train line, so I use it as a park and ride to get to NY (after a 3hr drive from home!).

Thanks! If the tooth works, I'll use it, it just seemed such an oddly "non-interpreted" image (considering how much I'm struggling with being TOO literal, I'm trying to think outside the box a little more!)

Thanks for the feedback! :)
    edited November 8, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Actually I don't live near there, but it's the bottom end of the NJTransit train line, so I use it as a park and ride to get to NY (after a 3hr drive from home!).

Thanks! If the tooth works, I'll use it, it just seemed such an oddly "non-interpreted" image (considering how much I'm struggling with being TOO literal, I'm trying to think outside the box a little more!)

Thanks for the feedback! :)

That tooth is very cool. I know exactly where it is. I don't blame you for not driving into NYC. If you ever get the time, do try to get to Grounds for Sculpture. They have a lot of really bizarre statues there -- some even more bizarre than that tooth. I can easily spend an entire day there. The place is about 10 minutes from that train station.
    edited November 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    That tooth is very cool. I know exactly where it is. I don't blame you for not driving into NYC. If you ever get the time, do try to get to Grounds for Sculpture. They have a lot of really bizarre statues there -- some even more bizarre than that tooth. I can easily spend an entire day there. The place is about 10 minutes from that train station.

Shoot - I wish I'd know that, as I could easily have stopped in yesterday while I was up there! Ah well... next time.... :) Thanks!
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    That huge tooth is cool! Strange, yes. :D Fits the theme perfectly!
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
    edited November 9, 2008
    Working one of the tooth-statue shots I took from a slightly different angle, but still not entirely happy with it. HOWEVER... today got the below. What do we think? I wish I had a wider-angle lens (28 is currently as wide as I go, alas) - would have been neat to get the ENTIRE statue from this kind of angle underneath, especially with the clear lue skies we had today!

However... does it work to suggest size as it is? And does the contrasty light bother anybody? (unfortunately it was high noon - simply when it was possible to get down there, so I was stuck with it!)

THANKS as always for all the feedback - I'm still new enough at this that I don't really trust my own judgement/perceptions, especially about my own shots (if only because my mind fills in the "real life" aspects of what I saw), so I really REALLY appreciate the responses y'all are so kind to give!

welcomewagonf.jpg
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Is it a boy or a girl?rolleyes1.gif

At least you have ideas and are shooting. I've only come up with 1 idea and haven't decided how to shoot it yet (it only struck me yesterday (almost literally)).
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
    edited November 9, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Is it a boy or a girl?rolleyes1.gif

At least you have ideas and are shooting. I've only come up with 1 idea and haven't decided how to shoot it yet (it only struck me yesterday (almost literally)).

Ha - these aren't ideas, these are happenstance bits of luck where I thought, "Oooo! That's BIIIIGGGG!"

The statue is actually the "man/woman" statue outside Baltimore Penn station - depending on which side you're looking at it from (oooo... bad English... but you know what I mean!) it either looks like a man or a woman, with the heart being present no matter which side you're seeing. It's kind of cool although, like the tooth and the handshake statue, it's surrounded by visual BLECH and almost impossible to take an artistic picture of it. This was the best I came up with - do we like this, or the sheer silliness of the tooth better??!!?? :)

And I'm sure you're just flying high from the last round rather than stymied... (or should that be SURFING high?! rolleyes1.gif) Congrats again on that pic - it still makes me laugh when I look at it!
    edited November 9, 2008
    Oh, and fwiw, here's the other version of The Tooth (the whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth...::rimshot daboom CHING:: ) I like the other statue better, but I'm open to persuasion....

IMG_3397bw.jpg
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Or maybe 'You Can't Handle the Tooth'.

IMHO the tooth looks better with the person in the shot, more sense of scale.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
    edited November 9, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    Or maybe 'You Can't Handle the Tooth'.

IMHO the tooth looks better with the person in the shot, more sense of scale.

OMG....I love that title. rolleyes1.gif

I like your current entry but can you please show us a version of the tooth photo at 800 px at the longest side and with the person in it? Pretty, pretty please? :curtsey
    edited November 9, 2008
    Picasa's cranky about displaying at selected sizes when you can't embed, however let's try this and see if it works... (I'm playing around w/ b&w too, but with the creamy sculpture against the light sky it doesn't quite work....) I think I need to clean up the background still more, too.... (having seen it in real life you know just how much has gone into the bg work!!)

IMG_3437scloned.jpg

Edited to add another angle/possibility. I guess my problem is that it's a reallly cool object that doesn't lend itself to particularly good photos - the actual SUBJECT is neat, but due to the restrictions of sightlines (and not having a wa lens) I just don't think they're photographically terribly good, even after I've cleaned up the bg's as best I can :(

IMG_3400wip%20copy.jpg
  • GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    A tooth is a great example of how an apparently Miniscule issue can end up having a Massive effect, as we all probable know from painful experience.

I like the figure and trees adding colour and scale.

Stretching the metaphor....Autumn leaves = decay, but strong roots...

Steve

PS - apologies for hijacking your first thread - I'm still learning to tie my shoelaces here...
    edited November 10, 2008
    Ok, y'all talked me into it - I updated the entry under the title "We hold this tooth to be self-evident...." (grrrooooaaaannnnnnnnnn:gigglerolleyes1.gif)

statuecrossprocessf.jpg

Does the cross-processing work? It seemed to minimise the inherent problems of the distracting location and background ....

Also, could somebody check the exif link in the entry for me and make sure it works? For some reason the final image lost the metadeta, so I had to use a previous save for the exif file. Picasa's been cranky lately, so I want to make sure it displays for somebody other than me :)

Thanks!
  • GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    EXIF link appears fine...

Nov 7, 2008
    1583×1600 pixels – 539KB

Filename: statuecros<wbr>sprocess.j<wbr>pg
    Camera: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/40 sec
    Aperture: f/9.0
    Focal Length: 79mm
    Flash Used: No
    Latitude: n/a
    Longitude: n/a

:)
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    My 0.02 €. Re-shoot the Tooth (gotta love the titles that gives lol3.gif) as a landscape, with someone standing right next to it looking up. That should really put some size to it. Try to get some detail in the sky behind it if the weather plays nice for you.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 12, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    My 0.02 €. Re-shoot the Tooth (gotta love the titles that gives lol3.gif) as a landscape, with someone standing right next to it looking up. That should really put some size to it. Try to get some detail in the sky behind it if the weather plays nice for you.

Thanks. In fact I agree you and I wish I COULD reshoot, but no go :( For starters it's 3 hrs drive away, and then there's the problem that there IS no other angle without a wider lens - or at least not one I'm prepared to try: it's surrounded on 2 sides by high speed highway, and the other side is a factory with a high fence close to the site. I shot from about the only places I could :(

The figures are part of the sculpture, btw!!

These give some idea as to the problem.... (to the right of the 2nd picture is the entrance to the train station - more wires and non-photegenic STUFF!)

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Btw, I love your updated entry - looks great!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Huh, not the best place to put a tooth I'd say.

This isn't gonna help without something bordering on a diagonal fisheye (rent/borrow one!), but I've just had a vision of someone next to the Tooth, scratching head, holding a toothbrush...
    divadum wrote:
    Btw, I love your updated entry - looks great!

Thanks!
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/