Options

First Order with Metallic Paper - WOW!

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited December 28, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just received my first prints ordered on metallic paper. They are AWESOME! I showed them to a photographer friend who uses a local printer and he was really impressed. I ordered one with bright colors, one with subdued neutral colors, and one in B&W (digital conversion). All three were sharp and vivid. I am excited to have this option and will definitely be buying more.

Thanks, SmugMug!!!

Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    Lauren, thank YOU for posting your thoughts :D You totally made our day!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I ordered one with bright colors, one with subdued neutral colors, and one in B&W (digital conversion). All three were sharp and vivid.

Lauren,

Which of the three seems best suited for metallic? bright colors, subdued, or B&W???

Thanks,
    John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2008
    John-

That's a hard question--I guess it depends on what you want to do with the print. I think the B&W on metallic paper, in a black frame, would be very classy. I plan to do some of my work that way. But it's hard to beat the vivid look of the color print on metallic! I chose a brightly colored image I'd shot of Pemaquid Light in Maine: bright white lighthouse, a mix of rock colors, and a deep blue sky. The metallic paper made the colors just jump off the page!

You might try one of your favorite images in color and as a B&W conversion, then print both on metallic paper, and see what you think.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I just received my first prints ordered on metallic paper. They are AWESOME! I showed them to a photographer friend who uses a local printer and he was really impressed. I ordered one with bright colors, one with subdued neutral colors, and one in B&W (digital conversion). All three were sharp and vivid. I am excited to have this option and will definitely be buying more.

Thanks, SmugMug!!!

Lauren

Sweet! I just placed a large print order using nothing but Metallic, and I'm glad to hear that you were happy with you results. I won't get my prints for a few days, but I am very excited to see them! iloveyou.gif

James
  • Options
    bosvgbosvg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 11, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I just received my first prints ordered on metallic paper. They are AWESOME!
    I can second that. I am pretty new here and wanted to try it out what the final result looks like before a customer buys it. So I ordered 2 (20x30) poster of a 8MP and 10MP camera. They arrived today and the quality is nothing but stunning.

Vasco
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    It's funny, I'm not really a fan of high gloss prints but I love love love metallic. :D
  • Options
    valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Me too Baldy! I don't care for gloss either, so I was hesitant to try a metallic. I got my first ones today too!!!! WONDERFUL!!! I had a bride pic - and the same on that I turned b&W - Both look totally fantastic! I can see selling a ton of wallets of the metallic! Thanks smugmug!

Baldy wrote:
    It's funny, I'm not really a fan of high gloss prints but I love love love metallic. :D
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I just recieved my first order of 100 or so prints using Metallic, and they look great! I love the quality of the finish, as well as the intensity of the contrast. Definately something I would recommend for any type of landscape shot, especially the black and white ones. thumb.gif

James
  • Options
    S-ManS-Man Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    My clients haven't purchased any metallic prints :(
    They've bought Lustre, but not metallic...

I want to copy the page from the catalog describing metallic prints and put it on my site to promote them.

But I wonder if the average snapshot-keeper client would appreciate the higher-quality print, or just see it as another picture.
    Sam
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Well, add me to the list! My prints (3 8x12, 1 20x30 and a pano printed on 36" wide paper) are absolutely jawdroppingly gorgeous!

Wow! clap.gifclap

:jawdrop
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, add me to the list! My prints (3 8x12, 1 20x30 and a pano printed on 36" wide paper) are absolutely jawdroppingly gorgeous!

Wow! clap.gifclap

:jawdrop
    Told you so. :D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Told you so. :D

Yes, and thank you!
    I showed the prints off at work and got a steady stream of OoooooohAaaaaaaaah! and maybe a flikr->smugmug convert for the ability to order metallic!

Here is a new question - how to frame that gorgeous paper - high quality glass?

ann
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    I ordered them also, the photos were of some basic flower shots and they are absolutley gorgeous!!!clap.gif
    My husband was showing them off to all his friends and showing them how to angle the picture so they could really see the metallic.
  • Options
    MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Metalic is awesome for portraits as well! Everything justs POPS off of the print. I love this stuff

Mary
  • Options
    VixxVixx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2008
    Metallic
    Just throwing my 2 cents in, ordered two metallic 11x14s. Simply amazing. One is a head shot with a greenery background. It looks three-deminsional. Simply great!
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Just got my first metallics
    I just my order this past week of my first metallic prints. I did two of my sunrise shots. They are sooooo nice clap.gif . I can't wait to try some portrait shots in metallic.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    A client just received her order with herself and her horse. She ordered all metallic. She was simply blown away. I have also ordered metallics for my own use. The colors and sharpness are outstanding. This is the best thing that smugmug could have done to their already awesome prints.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    I am blown away by the metallic prints, too! I am doing the "Santa Pictures" at our church, and I ordered prints of the same shots in both regular and metallic to put on display at the site. The difference is stunning.

I plan to price the metallic at a higher margin, and I think they will still be preferred.

I want a metallic 5x7 Christmas Card option!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    I am glad I started this thread--it's nice to see so many people pleased with the metallic prints. Way to go, SmugMug--you've made some happy photogs!!

Getting ready to order my second set today . . .

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    CoryJenksCoryJenks Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I just received my first orders on the Metallic paper.

Simply awesome.

I was blown away, well done!
  • Options
    cappicappi Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    I ordered a few metallic prints for Christmas presents for the family. They were awsome! Looked real nice. Delivered on time and in good shape. First time ordering prints from Smumug. So far so good. Much better results than Wal-Mart. Thank you!wings.gif