#12 - Perspective

GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited November 17, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Joining in the vein of thinking about thinking about this project...I tool these work in progress shots this morning.

I prefer the rope fence.... Tiny fibres, forming larger threads, which make the rope, which recedes down the Hout Bay River mouth, into the Atlantic, which follows the coast to Kommetjie Lighthouse (distant) beyond which lies Cape Point, the tip of Africa, and then the South Pole.

What I need is an insect on the rope and the moon in the sky to achieve the full range from miniscule to massive !

411852246_M3Nit-L.jpg

Hout Bay...

411852274_3ytLn-M.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Hey Gastro -

(I'll repeat my comments here just to keep them in the thread :)

I like the concept you explain, but the "busy-ness" of the plants kind of cut into the linear progression from small rope to large vista. It's a great idea, though - if you can find another spot to reshoot, I think it's a great idea!
  • GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Thanks Divamum

I agree. I need to demolish the house as well... seriously there are a couple of other places where I could work on this idea of massive and miniscule in the same shot.

I will try the beach - something intereting usually washes up most days.
    edited November 11, 2008
    C&C please - Scale and Perspective for #12
    Two more, pursuing the same idea...

Number 1 taken this afternoon but it is way too windy to have much control of composition - (only the mountain is keeping still at the moment)

Number 2 is from a couple of weeks ago so can't be entered, but I'm tempted to re-shoot. I like the detail on the pine bark... an obliging ant or other insect in frame would be perfect.

Comments welcome...

414846674_gq37q-L.jpg

Number 2... Wood and Granite

414102303_arGzv-L.jpg
    edited November 11, 2008
    I like #2 - if you can reshoot, it has potential. If there is no helpful insect around when you're there, could you perhaps "stage" something miniscule in the bark ... a flower or small something of some kind?

I wonder what would happen if you played with the depth of field between the foreground and background some, too - not quite sure what you'd get, but it might be fun to play with different options (that's the n00b in me coming out. "Gee, what does this do? Oh, ok, that really sucks. What about this? Oh... hang on... that's cool.... wow, I didn't know that would give me that effect". I think 80% of what I do is still trial and error, although I'm happy to say that percentage is gradually diminishing mwink.gif )

(PS and totally OT: I keep trying to "pronounce" your handle in Latin and/or Dutch, but it doesn't work! Gastro C. Nemius? GastroKnemius? Gas Troknemius? headscratch.gif Sorry - it's the curse of being a singer... I always assume that I can pronounce pretty much anything and my brain just won't let go of it....rolleyes1.gif ):
    edited November 12, 2008
    Thanks Divamum,

Re-shooting anything was out of the question today. As I write it has been raining solid for 22 hours.

Not to be outdone, I changed tack a little, whilst staying indoors.

The most massive land mammal modelled in miniscule...

Elephants don't mix well with human communities, and the competition for space, even on this massive, relatively under populated continent is intense.

The image is can be used as a metaphor for much else. But I will leave that to the viewer.

Re: pronunciation of my username - a silent 'c' - rare in English ?

Migrant

415582151_RSFS7-L.jpg

Steve
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I like the flower, if you can re-shoot from closer in and wider angle, preferably with a little bug in it, there should be more scale to it.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I like the flower, if you can re-shoot from closer in and wider angle, preferably with a little bug in it, there should be more scale to it.
    15524779-Ti.gif lower, wider, and more dramatic lighting
    but great concept
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited November 14, 2008
    Thanks Messrs Pyr (y) and (o) respectively.

The specific flowers have now faded (or were destroyed by yesterdays storm), but I think I'll go with the concept.

Steve
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Thanks Messrs Pyr (y) and (o) respectively.

The specific flowers have now faded (or were destroyed by yesterdays storm), but I think I'll go with the concept.

Steve

oh, i was actually talking about the elephant =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Great shots everyone. I keep meaning to enter these competitions, but never get around to it. clap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited November 16, 2008
    Thanks for the comments...

It has been interesting thinking about this over the last week or so, and to see how my thoughts have developed

I'm going to submit one of these two...last minute C&C welcome of course.

Cheers,

418262096_FemJS-L.jpg
    n
    edited November 16, 2008
    or... this one

418262820_EYGvR-L.jpg

Both are the same view as the first photo in this thread, but shot lying face down on the beach.
    edited November 17, 2008
    Gastro, I really like the entry you submitted. Above and beyond the challenge requirements etc, I think it's just cool to be looking at the BOTTOM of Africa the way you framed and explained it. Great job! thumb.gif