Saturday's Senior....continued.

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in People
A few more to share from Garrett's senior shoot.

1-
413609122_g5gWu-M-1.jpg

2-
413632087_8Beb6-L.jpg

3-
413635231_QfjoD-L-1.jpg

4-
413637130_tV26h-L-1.jpg

5-
413614482_K4GXb-L-1.jpg

6-
413644870_663M3-L-1.jpg

7-
413613738_uaGoV-L-1.jpg

8-
413619227_uF8Ds-L-1.jpg

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 9, 2008
    very nice series

1 & 8 are my favorites
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Is he going to be using these for anything above and beyond family? I mean, they look like a glossy magazine spread or publicity piece (heck, if I lived near LA I'd be BEGGING you to do promo pictures for me, you can be sure!!!!). He looks like such a character - partly just who he is, I suspect, but also you have NAILED "selling" his persona in the images, for which kudos to you - that's not easy! And they're photographically gorgeous, too :)

See? You're taxing my arsenal of superlatives again. (and thanks for the before/afters earlier - cool!)
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    that's a great set, I love the bluesy feel (particularly #1, #8) with the saxophone (at least that's how I perceive it). thumb.gif
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Great series..#1 and #8 are my favoritesclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    All nice. Number 8 is my fav.
    Jaye
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Jeff, your work always inspires me to be a better photographer. You show me what's possible to achieve. I think we all learn from you. Thanks so much for posting.

Caroline
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nice series.

#6 is awesome. Out of the norm, composed well, processed well, etc.

Good work!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I'm really liking your "variety" of looks these days Jeff. Quite inspirational. These are very very well done. Kids love this sort of processing and look (heck, they like even way out stuff...Laughing.gif). Beautiful job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Is he going to be using these for anything above and beyond family? I mean, they look like a glossy magazine spread or publicity piece (heck, if I lived near LA I'd be BEGGING you to do promo pictures for me, you can be sure!!!!). He looks like such a character - partly just who he is, I suspect, but also you have NAILED "selling" his persona in the images, for which kudos to you - that's not easy! And they're photographically gorgeous, too :)

See? You're taxing my arsenal of superlatives again. (and thanks for the before/afters earlier - cool!)

These will be mailed out with graduation invitations (to family?) and will go to his family and also traded with friends. I give the kids medium and small sized downloads for their "myspace" and "facebook" pages too(great advertising!!!). No magazines!

You know....it's only a flight away...we could set up an appointment!!! I only need a few hours!!! rolleyes1.gif

ARe you a musician as well...or do you stick to vocals?

Seriously....I appreciate your kind appraisal. Thanks!
  • XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    You continue to amaze me Jeff. I could really use a few lessons from you on how to get that natural look. Your ability to manipulate light without it being obvious is mind blowing.
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    1 & 3 are my favorites, great set!
    edited November 10, 2008
    You continue to amaze me Jeff. I could really use a few lessons from you on how to get that natural look. Your ability to manipulate light without it being obvious is mind blowing.

There is a mixed bag of lighting in this set. Reflected light, shoe mounted flash, off camera flash, and existing light only....depending on what I thought each shot needed. There is really no pixie dust....just a quick assesment...set up...and shoot.

I appreciate your kind remarks!
    edited November 10, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    1 & 3 are my favorites, great set!

Thanks Cat!:D
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Wow!! I love all of these, especially the lighting in #4 and the color in #6.
    edited November 10, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ARe you a musician as well...or do you stick to vocals?

OooooOOOooo... them's fighting words - singers ARE musicians!!! rolleyes1.gif(Kidding in this context, but it IS one of those sore points among us operatic types when orchestra members make a comment about "oh, it's not for the singers - just the musicians".... rolleyes1.gifgiggle)

I was thinking about these pictures driving home tonight - you manage to make the pictures sharp, but the light SOFT, and it blows my mind every time I see it. And I see Xadventures has summed it up perfectly by describing your ability to subtly manipulate the light. Yup, that'd be it :)

Thanks for sharing - it's great to see what's *possible* (even if I can't come close to achieving it .... yet ;)
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I really like 1, 3, 6 and 8. Nice set!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    4, 6, 7 and 8 are my winners here! I am not sold on the pose for guys in #1. It looks like he's slouching? But overall I really like this composition and conversion.

Not a big fan of 3, maybe it's because I see that cute blonde's face in the same jacket and pose? I don't know. Maybe I'm just too familiar with your work!!! rolleyes1.gif

5-7 in the series blow me away!!! The colors, the DOF, the tone you strike juxtaposing his uniform and the scene really work...no small feat! Bravo!

And I'm totally in love with #9. Man, if only I were 10 years younger!!! rolleyes1.gif (ok.......12).
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited November 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    OooooOOOooo... them's fighting words - singers ARE musicians!!! rolleyes1.gif(Kidding in this context, but it IS one of those sore points among us operatic types when orchestra members make a comment about "oh, it's not for the singers - just the musicians".... rolleyes1.gifgiggle)

I was thinking about these pictures driving home tonight - you manage to make the pictures sharp, but the light SOFT, and it blows my mind every time I see it. And I see Xadventures has summed it up perfectly by describing your ability to subtly manipulate the light. Yup, that'd be it :)

Thanks for sharing - it's great to see what's *possible* (even if I can't come close to achieving it .... yet ;)

Uh OH......I think I have stepped in it.....eek7.gif
    edited November 11, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I really like 1, 3, 6 and 8. Nice set!

Thanks E!
    edited November 11, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    4, 6, 7 and 8 are my winners here! I am not sold on the pose for guys in #1. It looks like he's slouching? But overall I really like this composition and conversion.

I liked the one below better for pose, but couldn't get past the shadow from the mouthpiece on his face. I moved the flash and horn after that shot, but mebbe not for the better.ne_nau.gif
    413496570_kpifG-S.jpg
    Not a big fan of 3, maybe it's because I see that cute blonde's face in the same jacket and pose? I don't know. Maybe I'm just too familiar with your work!!! rolleyes1.gif

I hear ya. I am open to ideas...angles....suggestions for getteing good letter jacket shots. From above is the best angle for getting the patches and the face....especially if trying to get the back of the jacket. Im out of ideas.....so.....ne_nau.gif
    5-7 in the series blow me away!!! The colors, the DOF, the tone you strike juxtaposing his uniform and the scene really work...no small feat! Bravo!

Thanks....I only had one idea really beforehand borrowed from you....I am not pleased with the silloutte. I needed my 17-55 there and it was a block and a half away!rolleyes1.gif
    And I'm totally in love with #9. Man, if only I were 10 years younger!!! rolleyes1.gif (ok.......12).

Sheesh.....get a hold of yerself!!! There is no #9!!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 11, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Uh OH......I think I have stepped in it.....eek7.gif

Nah, no worries - it's a common use of the terms and only opera singers make a fuss about it, and only actually MEAN it when they're talking to condescending violinists/flutists/horn players/insert-instrument-of-choice (and you wonder why they call us DIVAS?!?! rolleyes1.gif)

::takes tongue out of cheek::

Btw, to keep this at least slightly on topic, after you mentioned the Lomo preset in LR I not only spent some happy time googling Lomo but also managed to get hold of a copy of LR to explore (one of the advantages of being associated with an educational institution ... surprising amounts of software are available if you ask the right people!). I found some free collections of presets online and went to hog heaven today - oh my goodness ME what fun!! Once again, I have you to thank for adding another dimension to my learning process - I'm gobsmacked by all these cool 1-click effects out there that I get to use....!! bowdown.gifwink
    edited November 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Nah, no worries - it's a common use of the terms and only opera singers make a fuss about it, and only actually MEAN it when they're talking to condescending violinists/flutists/horn players/insert-instrument-of-choice (and you wonder why they call us DIVAS?!?! rolleyes1.gif)

::takes tongue out of cheek::

Btw, to keep this at least slightly on topic, after you mentioned the Lomo preset in LR I not only spent some happy time googling Lomo but also managed to get hold of a copy of LR to explore (one of the advantages of being associated with an educational institution ... surprising amounts of software are available if you ask the right people!). I found some free collections of presets online and went to hog heaven today - oh my goodness ME what fun!! Once again, I have you to thank for adding another dimension to my learning process - I'm gobsmacked by all these cool 1-click effects out there that I get to use....!! bowdown.gifwink

Excellent!!! Lightroom is a RAW file editor. It also happens to work on jpeg. Now....start shooting RAW instead of jpeg...or better yet...shoot RAW plus jpeg and see the difference!

You have a beautiful voice BTW!