Autumn colors of Zion

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited November 12, 2008 in Landscapes
These images are from my trip to Zion National Park last weekend (November 1 & 2)

A storm blew through Sunday morning, with rain and high winds, and I watched the majority of leaves go bye bye. I spoke with a local photographer Saturday night and he said it's been very warm this autumn which prevented the leaves from turning...

Saturday was probably the peak day this year and it wasn't very good. I did find some color (mainly half green and half yellow with about 3 red trees--I shot them all!). I'm satisfied with the images I was able to capture. These are all from Saturday.

#1 At the Grotto
413834123_B9fPV-L.jpg

#2 Dueling Colors
413835505_MkBAe-L.jpg

#3 Virgin River Reflections
413836428_CwUK7-L.jpg

#4 Falls before the Narrows
413837163_9dD77-L.jpg

#5 Balanced Rocks (I don't know who or what did this, but there was an area along the Riverside Walk with a bunch of rocks balanced on other rocks; this is just a few of them)
413837865_AkmZe-L.jpg

#6 Zion Canyon Color
413832825_LRwKg-L.jpg
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    clap.gif great set,

it was not too good for me, the smoke did not help either!
    Aaron Nelson
  • HiI'mScottHiI'mScott Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    That balance rock stuff trips me out. I really like #4 great shots. thumb.gif
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Very nice set. The fall colors really warm up the canyon shots. I like your use of slow shutter on the water. Great job! clap.gifclap.gif

James
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nice set, but those rocks are a trip rolleyes1.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    thumb.gif #4 & 5.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Autum Colors in Zion
    Bill,

#4 is awesome! clap.gif

#5, who would take the time to balance rocks like that? Weird.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    #4 is great. Completely different look than in the Spring when the water is trickling through there. And those are gorgeous colors!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Aaron, I heard about the smoke from the controlled burns but didn't notice it. Probably because it was overcast all day Saturday.

Those rocks were a fun discovery. My image shows about six of them. There were probably about 20 in that area next to the river. I made sure my kids didn't touch or knock them over which would ruin it for the next people to see them...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I really like the 4th shot!! Nice work!!
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Agree with the others. #4 is SWEET! Print that one Bill deal.gif

Nicely done! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 12, 2008
    Fall colors are really a photographer's dream, and sadly I missed most of them this year. :cry

Lovely photos. #4 is the best! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Fall colors are really a photographer's dream, and sadly I missed most of them this year. :cry

Lovely photos. #4 is the best! clap.gif

Ana

that is so odd, i was just thinking about you and a few others that i love to see around here. i was wondering what it was that pulled so many away for such long periods....so many talented photographers, that goes for you too, hope to see more work from you soon. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 12, 2008
    that is so odd, i was just thinking about you and a few others that i love to see around here. i was wondering what it was that pulled so many away for such long periods....so many talented photographers, that goes for you too, hope to see more work from you soon. thumb.gif
    Awww, you make me blush. The problem is there are too many things going on in my life and I can hardly find any time to take pictures, let alone post-process them and participate in several photography forums. I do regularly have a look at DGrin challenges and landscape forums though, and once in a while I even comment and post my own work. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    These are beautiful !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery