Reenactment tease

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in People
Spent this last weekend in the fields, shooting this year's annual installment of Civil War reenactment in the filds of Moorpark held by Moorpark Rotary club and Fort Tejon historic society. Yeah, I know, no actual CW battles happened in SoCal, and the scale of our events is nowhere near what they do on a another coast. But several hundred reenactors can surely put up a good show.

413126570_RFZhQ-XL.jpg

I didn't have time to sort things out yet, but for all you history buffs here is a linkie to the whole collection, and I hope to make a "selected" album soon and then post a small excerpt here, too.

On a sad note: my favorite "lens du jour" EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM apparently bit a tad more dust it could possibly chew and stopped AF-ing right in the middle of the first day. :cry I was able to use it in MF mode through the rest of the event, but now it looks like it's time for it to visit Canon Factory Repair Center in Irvine (many thanks to April for the extra info!).
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    On a sad note: my favorite "lens du jour" EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM apparently bit a tad more dust it could possibly chew and stopped AF-ing right in the middle of the first day. :cry I was able to use it in MF mode through the rest of the event, but now it looks like it's time for it to visit Canon Factory Repair Center in Irvine (many thanks to April for the extra info!).
    Sorry to hear about your 17-55. I had to send mine in about a month ago because the zoom assembly was binding a bit. Turns out that it was busted. I guess I was lucky during the last wedding in which I used it busted that it actually focused accurately!

I sent it in, they quoted me a price and it was a lot less than buying a new one, so they did the work.

I just shot two weddings over the week-end with my "new" 17-55 and a couple of 50D cameras. Worked a real treat. Now I'm deep into the processing (teases will be up tomorrow).

Anyway - like I said sorry about your lens but I know it'll be back to you when it's all better and the love affair can continue!mwink.giflust
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your 17-55. I had to send mine in about a month ago because the zoom assembly was binding a bit. Turns out that it was busted. I guess I was lucky during the last wedding in which I used it busted that it actually focused accurately!

I sent it in, they quoted me a price and it was a lot less than buying a new one, so they did the work.

I just shot two weddings over the week-end with my "new" 17-55 and a couple of 50D cameras. Worked a real treat. Now I'm deep into the processing (teases will be up tomorrow).

Anyway - like I said sorry about your lens but I know it'll be back to you when it's all better and the love affair can continue!mwink.giflust
    Thanks Scott!
    As of now Canon quoted me $95, which is totally acceptable, imho. And it should teach me to put a protective sleeve on the non-sealed lens when shooting in a dusty environments (fires, reenactments, slot canyons, old factories, etc.). deal.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Scott!
    As of now Canon quoted me $95, which is totally acceptable, imho. And it should teach me to put a protective sleeve on the non-sealed lens when shooting in a dusty environments (fires, reenactments, slot canyons, old factories, etc.). deal.gif

Yeah, that's not bad at all for a lens repair. And you can still have issues with sealed lenses -- I snapped a 16-35 in half last year in Death Valley, and believe it or not, it was only around $200 to repair.

87103969.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 10, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah, that's not bad at all for a lens repair. And you can still have issues with sealed lenses -- I snapped a 16-35 in half last year in Death Valley, and believe it or not, it was only around $200 to repair.
    Ouch, that must have hurt...:cry And I agree, $200 is a relatively small price to pay for such a fix..
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Love looking at this type of photography! Thanks for sharing a teaser with us.
    edited November 10, 2008
    Love looking at this type of photography! Thanks for sharing a teaser with us.
    Julie, thank you for stopping by! thumb.gif Watch for the "selection" post later this week:-) mwink.gif
  • WinemanWineman Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    great shot Nikolai, cant wait for the selection, sorry to read about your lens, good thing it can be easely repaired!!

Z.
    I do not suffer insanity... I enjoy it!!!
    edited November 11, 2008
    Wineman wrote:
    great shot Nikolai, cant wait for the selection, sorry to read about your lens, good thing it can be easely repaired!!

Z.
    Thanks, Z, I surely hope so. And in the mean time the power of dgrin friendship provided me with a decent replacement, so I'm good:-). thumb.gif
    edited November 11, 2008
    And.. it's official now: :ivar
    http://www.48ovvi.org/moorpark2008/
    Still working on the selection. deal.gif

But in the mean time I also got the following words from the organizers:-)
    Perhaps next year before the event we can discuss some specific shots we are interested in getting ... Some would be shots exclusive to you (not available to other photographers).
    wings.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Awesome images, Nikolai! clap.gifthumb.gif

Too bad I'd missed you on saturday.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 11, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Awesome images, Nikolai! clap.gifthumb.gif

Too bad I'd missed you on saturday.
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    You mean you were there? eek7.gif Darn..
    edited November 12, 2008
    I'm still going through pics to select the creme de la creme. In the mean time, here's a little pano made out of 13 frames from 50D (15mp each):
    415434009_RNNqK-X2.jpg
    Click on the image to get a larger version - which is still only a tiny copy of the actual 215Mb 75mp 9"x130" image...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm still going through pics to select the creme de la creme. In the mean time, here's a little pano made out of 13 frames from 50D (15mp each):

Click on the image to get a larger version - which is still only a tiny copy of the actual 215Mb 75mp 9"x130" image...
    That's pretty cool!
    edited November 12, 2008
    That's pretty cool!
    Thanks, Scott!
    And this is 28 frame pano:
    415587831_UaDsi-X2.jpg
    Original is 1.6Gb, 24"x410" (longer than 30 ft!!! :-)
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Very cool shots Nik. In the last Pano, is that the same rider in there several times or were those riders and horses remarkably uniform?
    edited November 13, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    Very cool shots Nik. In the last Pano, is that the same rider in there several times or were those riders and horses remarkably uniform?
    Thanks!
    Laughing.gif, I didn't notice! rolleyes1.gif Good eye... thumb.gif
    Apparently he was riding fast enough to end up in several frames as an independent subject. Talk about time machine and human cloning.. lol3.gif
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks!
    Laughing.gif, I didn't notice! rolleyes1.gif Good eye... thumb.gif
    Apparently he was riding fast enough to end up in several frames as an independent subject. Talk about time machine and human cloning.. lol3.gif

I did not notice it at first. Was showing it to my wife so I noticed the second time through.