#12 concept - fit the theme?

BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
edited November 15, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
414177145_cGeaN-L.jpg

I'm a brand spanking new member of SmugMug and Digital Grin, and this is my first photo entry to any group or contest. I'm really inspired by all the great work I've seen here so far, and hope to work up to that level eventually.

I don't know how well this shot fits the intent of the theme, but it was fun working out the concept. The tiny toy pig is poised on my laptop keyboard, ready to press the "spacebar" as an image of the moon rises behind her on the computer screen -- a pig in cyberspace! Juxtaposing the tiny pig with the massive moon, I emphasized the dark splotches on the lunar surface to echo the pig's black markings and tie the two together.

As an aside, this raises an interesting question for me: is cyberspace really really huge, or infinitesimally small?

Thanks for your comments and critiques!!!

Benjer

P.S. the moon photo is mine (taken this past February), so no worry about copyright infringement!
Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Very cool shot. thumb.gif You should know however that all photos must be taken during the contest period so your moon shot (since it was taken in Feb) might disqualify you. I would suggest you take another moon shot and use that. deal.gif

Best,

Dan
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    if it fits the theme? that is yours to decide, right?

its hit and miss for me, sometimes my ideas crash and burn, sometimes they fly....

imo, without you explaining it i would have just thought your idea was about a little pig keeping you company...kinda like little stewart the mouse...

good luck...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 10, 2008
    i dont think you need to worry about the moon shot unless you are using the file itself as part of a composite....
    Aaron Nelson
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    thanks for your responses. I didn't even think about the earlier moon pic being a potential problem! My problem now is that I no longer have a telephoto lens to take a new moon shot...but with the full moon a few days away I'll see what I can do, even if the older photo isn't a disqualifying element.

Or I may come up with something different altogether! My idea (as Aaron pointed out) with the little "pig in cyberspace" perhaps is a bit too obtuse for a single image (without the caption). I'll try and come up with something that tells a more direct story...

Thanks again :)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    thanks for your responses. I didn't even think about the earlier moon pic being a potential problem! My problem now is that I no longer have a telephoto lens to take a new moon shot...but with the full moon a few days away I'll see what I can do, even if the older photo isn't a disqualifying element.

Or I may come up with something different altogether! My idea (as Aaron pointed out) with the little "pig in cyberspace" perhaps is a bit too obtuse for a single image (without the caption). I'll try and come up with something that tells a more direct story...

Thanks again :)

If it's actually on the computer in the photo it should be no problem. If it is a composite than it could be a problem.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Cool idea, and the title certainly makes one look harder before getting the joke! I'm not sure the "spacebar" comes across without the explanation, as Aaron said, but the rest of it works with the title, IMO.

The thing that doesn't work for me is that everything's a little soft; the monitor (because it's a monitor), but the pig itself is a little underlit and thus soft to me. For some reason the idea seems to me to require really "hard edges" rather than soft, ambient lighting if that makes sense (and if it doesn't, just smile and move on - I'm still a n00b and trying to figure out both how to parse what I see, and then articulate it!)

I do like the idea though (probably because I always loved Piiiiigggggssss Iiinnnnnnn Spaaaacccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D) Very imaginative!
    edited November 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    The thing that doesn't work for me is that everything's a little soft; the monitor (because it's a monitor), but the pig itself is a little underlit and thus soft to me. For some reason the idea seems to me to require really "hard edges" rather than soft, ambient lighting if that makes sense (and if it doesn't, just smile and move on - I'm still a n00b and trying to figure out both how to parse what I see, and then articulate it!)

I do like the idea though (probably because I always loved Piiiiigggggssss Iiinnnnnnn Spaaaacccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D) Very imaginative!

Thanks for your suggestion - I think I'll try reshooting, this time with a smaller aperture (f/11 instead of f/4.5) to try and bring everything into focus, and post it for comparison. I thought that the diminished depth of field in the original would give a greater sense of distance, particularly for the moon. There may have been some slight camera shake with that 1 sec exposure as well, softening the image overall, so I'll do a couple retakes...maybe with off-camera fill flash...
    edited November 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:

:lol4 .....muppets, now there was some great comedythumb.gif

i still giggle just thinking of all the individual characters....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 11, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    Thanks for your suggestion - I think I'll try reshooting, this time with a smaller aperture (f/11 instead of f/4.5) to try and bring everything into focus, and post it for comparison. I thought that the diminished depth of field in the original would give a greater sense of distance, particularly for the moon. There may have been some slight camera shake with that 1 sec exposure as well, softening the image overall, so I'll do a couple retakes...maybe with off-camera fill flash...

keep your DOF...or even go 2.8 if its a option.....IMO
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 12, 2008
    new idea...
    415858081_4ptsw-L.jpg

"Microphone."

How ridiculous is this???
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I like it. If you wanna give it the standard Pyro treatment, run it through smart sharpen, and apply selective collor adjustment layer
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    "Microphone" is a great idea :D

Here's something to consider: take little piggie to see a big piggie mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Benjer wrote:

"Microphone."

How ridiculous is this???

I love it! rolleyes1.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    The phone IS awesome.
    E