Options

SCRATCHED my new monitor

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited November 14, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I picked up a Dell 22" through work's discount and it's been a GREAT investment, not to mention glorious colors. It has a 'shine' sheen to the monitor itself, unlike, say, a regular TV, this ibook or my cheapo Dell Laptop (or older Dell monitor).

The other day I got a few fingerprints on it, reached out with my sleeve and ..... oh bloodyheckno! now I've a huge smear and a nice J shaped scratch.

help?

and how SHOULD i have cleaned it properly???
//Leah

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    micro cloth........gently
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    micro cloth........gently

what about the smearings? probably originally from finger prints?
    //Leah
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
    catspaw wrote:
    what about the smearings? probably originally from finger prints?

The user's manual will have information about how to clean the monitor. Read the manual.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The user's manual will have information about how to clean the monitor. Read the manual.

ah, and the Grand Scheme of Organization. :sigh:
    //Leah
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    One part alcohol and four parts water is what I've been using for years with no adverse effects whatsoever. Use a soft cotton cloth.

As for the scratch....ne_nau.gif Never had one.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    It's still under warrenty right? Time to put that to good use if they can fix or replace that!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    I agree with Art - a micro fibre cloth very gently. 3M even makes a cloth for cleaning electronics. If that is not adequate, then I suggest considering this method, IF, and only IF, the manual for the screen is in agreement. DO NOT LET MOISTURE RUN DOWN THE SCREEN TO THE EDGE - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

I use a new micro fibre cloth on my Cinema Display with very gentle pressure. I also use micro fibre cloths to clean my glasses and my lenses front elements as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Code BlueCode Blue Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I agree with Art - a micro fibre cloth very gently. 3M even makes a cloth for cleaning electronics. If that is not adequate, then I suggest considering this method, IF, and only IF, the manual for the screen is in agreement. DO NOT LET MOISTURE RUN DOWN THE SCREEN TO THE EDGE - UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

I use a new micro fibre cloth on my Cinema Display with very gentle pressure. I also use micro fibre cloths to clean my glasses and my lenses front elements as well.

I agree with everyone here. I have a few products... typically a monster lcd screen cleaning kit (with the microfiber towel) or a kit similar to eyeglass cleaning kit
    My Equipment:
    Canon 20d + Grip / Canon 580 EX / Canon 17-40L / Canon 24-105L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISL / Mannfrotto 055MF3 Tripod w/329RC4 Head.

Hoping to get back into the art and improve my skills whenever needed.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    ok I know it is too late. But on my iMac and the HDTV we have a very hard rule: "NO TOUCHING"

even the kids know this one, as I threaten to remove the finger that touches these screens. It isnt just finger prints, but you can damage the very thin layers that make up the LCD.