edited November 11, 2008 in Cameras
hi would the lenses from a
Canon Rebel 2000/EOS 300 35mm fit my canon xsi digital eos

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
    hi would the lenses from a
    Canon Rebel 2000/EOS 300 35mm fit my canon xsi digital eos

The short answer is that "yes", the XSi is an EOS system camera and will accept lenses with an EOS system mount.

Which lenses do you wish to use?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • zach30345zach30345 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    well i am not sure yet but i have an xsi camera and i am about to buy a film slr and i want to buy a canon so my lenses will work interchangeably right now i have telephoto 75-300 and a IS 18-55 heres the camera im looking at buying its on craigslist http://southcoast.craigslist.org/pho/910179948.html but if that one is sold then i am going to just buy the body of that model camera
    edited November 10, 2008
    well i am not sure yet but i have an xsi camera and i am about to buy a film slr and i want to buy a canon so my lenses will work interchangeably right now i have telephoto 75-300 and a IS 18-55 heres the camera im looking at buying its on craigslist http://southcoast.craigslist.org/pho/910179948.html but if that one is sold then i am going to just buy the body of that model camera

Understand that a film camera is considered a "full frame" 35mm format while the XSi is a "crop 1.6x", so lenses will have a different FOV between the 2 types of formats.

If you intend to follow through with your plans then any EF-S lenses would not be compatible with the film camera, so the Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 IS you mention above would only work on the XSi, not the Rebel 2000/EOS 300 body.
    ziggy53
    edited November 10, 2008
    so let me understand this the film lenses will work on digital but the digital lenses will not work on the film camera?
  • JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Canon lenses (as well as aftermarket brands) labeled EF-S will only work with the crop sensor digital cameras. They won't work with a full frame 35mm film body, nor will they work with a full frame digital SLR body like the 5D The EOS lenses that work with the full frame film and digital SLR's will work with the crop frame digital bodies, but the field of view will be adjusted by a factor of 1.6 Thus, a "film type" EOS lens that is labeled 100mm will produce an image equal to a 160 mm lens when used on a crop sensor digital SLR
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I have been looking at Canon cameras too. What you want to look for that allows the best compatibility is EF lenses as they will fit on all EOS cameras regardless of what model they are.

EF-S only fit on certain cameras, so don't buy those since they are so limited.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited November 11, 2008
    ... EF-S only fit on certain cameras, so don't buy those since they are so limited.

I use EF-S and other crop format lenses when they make sense. For instance the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM is one of the finest zooms ever made. Likewise all of the super-wide zooms made for crop cameras, from pretty much any manufacturer, are tremendous values. (I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for my super-wide needs.)

If you have a crop format camera you really have to think of it as a different format system, that just fortunately can use the lenses from full-format lenses with a compatible mount.

I always recommend buying and using equipment that makes sense for your needs.
    ziggy53
    edited November 11, 2008
    ok so if i understand this correctly the EF lenses will fit either camera but the EFS will not
    edited November 11, 2008
    ok so if i understand this correctly the EF lenses will fit either camera but the EFS will not

That is correct.

Other third-party manufacturers with "digital" and "crop" lenses may use a longer back focus and so they will "mount" on the larger format cameras but with reduced coverage. For instance, while an EF-S lens will not mount on a Canon 1D/1Ds series camera, my Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM "will" attach safely to my 1D MKII and produces a reduced image circle in the frame. I can produce a fairly good 8" x 10" crop from the image produced however.

The latest Nikon full-frame dSLR cameras also have a DX mode which allows capture of just the crop portion of the image with an attendant (and considerable) reduction in resolution.
    ziggy53
    edited November 11, 2008
    sorry im new to this slr's especially film ones but if i understand correctly if i use my ef telephoto lens on my film slr i will have reduced coverage but it will not be that big of a deal? becaue i am going to buy a canon rebel 2000 35 mm and then i want to purchase a wide angle lens to work on both cameras and use my telephoto on both cameras
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    sorry im new to this slr's especially film ones but if i understand correctly if i use my ef telephoto lens on my film slr i will have reduced coverage but it will not be that big of a deal? becaue i am going to buy a canon rebel 2000 35 mm and then i want to purchase a wide angle lens to work on both cameras and use my telephoto on both cameras

The EF lens will give you full coverage on a 35mm film body. For reference, I bought a 75-300IS when I bought my (film) EOS-3 and that lens works the same on my (digital) 5D. It gives me full coverage on both bodies.

The only time you run into problems of coverage with Canon bodies is when using a lens designed for APS-C format on a full frame body. Canon branded lenses use a different mount (EF-S) which prevents you from mounting the lens on a full frame body. However third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron) designed for APS-C typically use the EF mount and can be used with full frame bodies with reduced coverage.

For reference:

EF lenses work on all Canon bodies built in the last 20 years (or so), digital or film.

EF-S lenes work with Canon digital bodes except the 1 series, 5 series and (I think) 10D. EF-S lenses will not mount on any film body.