For #12: Wonder

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited November 13, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've already entered, if only to jealously protect my idea, but I feel this is still work in progress. So I'd like to hear from you.

Wonder
414475168_6euQx-L.jpg

I plan on re-shooting the Moon when it's full (if there's a break in the cloud, this one is from a hole about 5 seconds long...) and persuading someone who's prettier than me to lend a face for this.

Lighting is just a little maglite without it's reflector, hanging from the ceiling on a string :D

Any thoughts?
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I like the idea. Was going to suggest a full moon until I read further. Not sure how you would improve it any more other than playing with different crops just to see what you come up with. Tighter, more off-center, maybe. You have something here and should run with it!

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Full moon on the 13th good luck getting the weather right...
    the weather has not been nice for me lately. Good wor getting the shot of the moon you did.
    I second the cropping note.
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    wow - what a great idea! thumb.gif love the imagination at work here, and looks really convincing too. my only suggestions are to try for a full moon if possible, and maybe crop some of that empty space to the right. it's a very "sharp concept" (to paraphrase that quote from Mr. Adams) and well executed. You've inspired me to work harder. mwink.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Very cool idea, Pyry. Gotta love maglites (still my main source of studio light... once of these years I'll learn how to use it to create cool effects like you have here!) Don't know where you are, but it's sure clear here tonight - clear and COLD, so with luck you'll have a chance for a perfect moon sometime in the next few days!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Love your thought process and idea!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback and comments! I'll try a couple of different crops.

About the bloody weather, I'm in Finland and forecasts look like crap.
    Right now it's telling me I might see a waning Moon on saturday, with a slice missing about the same size as in the current picture.

Which reminds me. If I miss my chance to howl at the full one, I might want to put the dark bit in to make the ball look less wonky - and shade a bit of the thumb back there to match :D

Divadum: Maglites for studio lights? I'm not sure we're talking about the same line of products - mine's a tiny torch! lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Oh, we're talking about the same thing alright... small metal torches indeed! I have zero lighting equipment. Zip. Nada. I have made do with a couple of maglights, an LED booklamp, and a cheap metal worklamp (the kind builders use). I keep thinking I should be able to manage SOMETHING with those, some tinfoil and duct tape, but so far ... mwink.gifrofl I stand in awe of your Maglite prowess :)

Btw, I was thinking about your photo earlier today and thinking that if you didn't get a moon (didn't realise you were THAT far north!) that you could perhaps rotate the one you have so the "missing side" is in the hand instead of at the top (yes, it would mean the moon was upside down but given this is creative, does that count?! :D)
    edited November 11, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Oh, we're talking about the same thing alright... small metal torches indeed! I have zero lighting equipment. Zip. Nada. I have made do with a couple of maglights, an LED booklamp, and a cheap metal worklamp (the kind builders use). I keep thinking I should be able to manage SOMETHING with those, some tinfoil and duct tape, but so far ... mwink.gifrofl I stand in awe of your Maglite prowess :)

Haha, that'll force you into a creative approach to lighting :D

My maglite prowess... rolleyes1.gif Really all I did for light was hang a maglite from the roof and expose the bulb (candle mode or whatever they call it) and then put it where the Moon was going to be.
    divamum wrote:
    Btw, I was thinking about your photo earlier today and thinking that if you didn't get a moon (didn't realise you were THAT far north!) that you could perhaps rotate the one you have so the "missing side" is in the hand instead of at the top (yes, it would mean the moon was upside down but given this is creative, does that count?! :D)

There's enough of an astronomer in me to not want to flip it. I did think of it though...

And besides, that would require shading where it's much more difficult to produce. I can make a darker spot on my thumb in no time.
    Creativity's hard.

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I really like this one. thumb.gif

The lighting you achieved looks terrific. I wouldn't even worry about photographing a full moon. To me it looks fine the way it is. But if it really bothers you, you may want to try to reshape it through Photoshop. ne_nau.gif
    edited November 12, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I really like this one. thumb.gif

The lighting you achieved looks terrific. I wouldn't even worry about photographing a full moon. To me it looks fine the way it is. But if it really bothers you, you may want to try to reshape it through Photoshop. ne_nau.gif

Yeah, reshape till round or shade to match, but there's hope today :D

Thanks for the positive thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I enjoyed this imaginative concept.

When you make your decision on the orientation of the moon, don't forget us here in the Southern Hemisphere. I got a crick in my neck trying to match the view I get from 33' South.

Further comforting evidence that the world is round though.

Good luck.
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    When you make your decision on the orientation of the moon, don't forget us here in the Southern Hemisphere. I got a crick in my neck trying to match the view I get from 33' South.

Yeah, and your water goes down the drain the wrong way also. :D
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    i would rather see a full moon...good luck on getting it.
    if i were to try and suggest anything it would be not to have your face so close to the moon and more importantly have your eyes looking directly at its virtual location. it seems that your looking above and beyond it....

maybe even a smaller moon too....all imo
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 12, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    There's enough of an astronomer in me to not want to flip it. I did think of it though...

And besides, that would require shading where it's much more difficult to produce. I can make a darker spot on my thumb in no time.

instead of flipping the moon, you could maybe H-flip your self portrait "around" the moon! I mean, if you wanted to...ne_nau.gif
    edited November 12, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    instead of flipping the moon, you could maybe H-flip your self portrait "around" the moon! I mean, if you wanted to...ne_nau.gif

Haha, I didn't think of that! :D

There's no need though, I've got the full one in the bag thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 12, 2008
    I enjoyed this imaginative concept.

Further comforting evidence that the world is round though.

Good luck.

I've got a crick in my mind trying to imagine the Moon downside up. The image from 60N is pretty well stuck! One of these days I'm gonna come down there just to see your skies :D

i would rather see a full moon...good luck on getting it.
    if i were to try and suggest anything it would be not to have your face so close to the moon and more importantly have your eyes looking directly at its virtual location. it seems that your looking above and beyond it....

maybe even a smaller moon too....all imo

I was looking right at the light - I had to take good long break before I could see if the pictures were ok lol3.gif
    Smaller Moon might be a good idea. I only tested a couple of variations.
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 12, 2008
    Done!

New moon, new crop, few more subtle changes here and there. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it!

415866889_6iPXb-L.jpg

Time to step back and open the wine :D
    Creativity's hard.

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    well done!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 12, 2008
    wow - fantastic! bravo clap.gif
    edited November 12, 2008
    well done!

Thanks!

Now I just have to cope with the anxiousness for two whole weeks! I usually enter so late it's just a couple of days to see the final draw lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 12, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    wow - fantastic! bravo clap.gif

Thank you! :encore
    Creativity's hard.

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    wings.gif Fantastic! Hyvää!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Love it and the changes incorporated!! Yes, it is the right time to pop that wine bottle, may I enjoy a glass with you!!clap.gif

Peace and Best of Luck
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited November 13, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    wings.gif Fantastic! Hyvää!

Kiitos, erityisesti rohkaisevasta palautteesta - saapa nähdä kuinka käy thumb.gif
    Tentacion wrote:
    Love it and the changes incorporated!! Yes, it is the right time to pop that wine bottle, may I enjoy a glass with you!!clap.gif

Sure :D
    Actually if we are going to follow the metaphor through, you might find me having a Westons Old Rosie Scrumpy - the best cider there is beer.gif
    Creativity's hard.