washington oaks

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi, this is my first post in the photo galleries on dgrin. I found a nice spot on the atlantic coast south of jacksonville, a rare rocky coastline in Florida. I took some shots at sunrise.
washoaksb20.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Beautiful slow shutter photo. clap.gif Did you use a ND filter?
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Beautiful slow shutter photo. clap.gif Did you use a ND filter?

No I didnt, an ND filter is my next toy to get. This was ISO 200, f/22, 2 sec exp. The light was still low that early so I could get away with the exposure without a filter.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Hi Chris,

I live in Jacksonville and visit this stretch of beach quite frequently. It's a good 45+ miles south of here and certainly is atypical of Florida. You've done a good job of capturing the mood of the place on a day that appears to be quite overcast. To me, there seems to be a lot of noise present but it doesn't really detract from the picture. Nice job.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Gorgeous, dramatic and smooth! I love the mood in this photo, and amazing that you didn't need the ND filter. clap.gif
    edited November 11, 2008
    Hi Chris,

I live in Jacksonville and visit this stretch of beach quite frequently. It's a good 45+ miles south of here and certainly is atypical of Florida. You've done a good job of capturing the mood of the place on a day that appears to be quite overcast. To me, there seems to be a lot of noise present but it doesn't really detract from the picture. Nice job.

Tom

Hi Tom, I live in Orange Park, so its a little over an hour drive for me, which makes for an early rise to catch the sunset. I've been twice, and both times were very overcast. I agree with you about the noise, that appeared when I downsized the JPEG for the post, but is not apparent in the original. I'd like to go sometime when the sky is clear, but sometimes the clouds add some drama.
    Chris
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I really love your photo here. I wish I could come close to something like this. I am new to photography and I recently experimented with slower shutter speeds with water but the water here wasnt moving fast enough to get the smooth look. What would a neutral density filter do for me and where could I use it? I currently have a Nikon D60 and usually shoot with the kit lens that came with it with a circular polarizer filter. Any words of advice for me?
    edited November 11, 2008
    I really love your photo here. I wish I could come close to something like this. I am new to photography and I recently experimented with slower shutter speeds with water but the water here wasnt moving fast enough to get the smooth look. What would a neutral density filter do for me and where could I use it? I currently have a Nikon D60 and usually shoot with the kit lens that came with it with a circular polarizer filter. Any words of advice for me?

Thank you. A neutral density filter will reduce the amount of light on the sensor and will allow you to use a longer shutter speed in more light without overexposing. I am shopping for one now. In this photo it was about 6 in the morning so it was still pretty dark outside- I shot in aperture priority and used f/22, which the camera then automatically turned into a 2 second exposure which I wanted to give the silky water look. It took me awhile to get comfortable with manual settings, and I know I still have a ton to learn. My suggestion would be to use trial and error with different settings, with digital you don't have much to lose.
    Chris
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thank you. A neutral density filter will reduce the amount of light on the sensor and will allow you to use a longer shutter speed in more light without overexposing. I am shopping for one now. In this photo it was about 6 in the morning so it was still pretty dark outside- I shot in aperture priority and used f/22, which the camera then automatically turned into a 2 second exposure which I wanted to give the silky water look. It took me awhile to get comfortable with manual settings, and I know I still have a ton to learn. My suggestion would be to use trial and error with different settings, with digital you don't have much to lose.
    Chris

Awesome thanks for all the advice! I think I might pick up one and play around with it more. The speed of the water really makes a difference from what I have seen here lately. What is the difference in the steps on the ND filter for example +1 +2? Sorry if all my questions become annoying!:D