not an insect... and a few macroish questions

catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in Holy Macro
This is one of the first times I had to *really* play around with my macro (a Nikor 60m fixed) and only found out later I could get a LOT closer than I was ;) ah well.

Mostly, I'm wondering how many of you make attempts at composition, or if you click away and crop a tad and hope it comes out alright in the end?

Here, I liked the fade-into-the-tri-stalk offset by the bug eaten leaf. However, moving leaves, wind, light, even tripods... they don't always stay steady like they should! dang them.

Are there any tripods used for macros (like those from Joby?) that folks like?

thanks!

and my first non-assignment post:

406607380_GqiGb-L-1.jpg
:hide:
//Leah

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 10, 2008
    Don't know about the insect dudes. But sure. In macro land, I think you want to try and compose as best you can. Of course, you want to shoot many frames if you're working in the wind.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Don't know about the insect dudes. But sure. In macro land, I think you want to try and compose as best you can. Of course, you want to shoot many frames if you're working in the wind.

wait, there are NON insect dude/tte/s here?

but yes, windless days definitely make life easier. Or non-moving objects :P
    //Leah
  • rnicklrnickl Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I try to crop as little as possible if at all. There are occasions where there are some bits that were not in the view finder that may need a bit of a trim or a quick grab shot before that bug flies away. :D

Very nice shot BTW. :)
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    LOvely colours :)
    You should try and look at composition etc as part of the shot taking- the normal photography rules do apply- normally with macro shooting it's the last piece to fall into place as you are often too busy fighting with focus, DOF etc. I do sometimes however marginally crop when something is not quite right.
    As far as stabilistion, because I tend to hunt bugs a lot of the time a tripod is not any use- I just use a bean pole which I grip in my left hand along with a bit of camera or just try to rest the lens on something .

Brian V.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    LOvely colours :)
    You should try and look at composition etc as part of the shot taking- the normal photography rules do apply- normally with macro shooting it's the last piece to fall into place as you are often too busy fighting with focus, DOF etc. I do sometimes however marginally crop when something is not quite right.
    As far as stabilistion, because I tend to hunt bugs a lot of the time a tripod is not any use- I just use a bean pole which I grip in my left hand along with a bit of camera or just try to rest the lens on something .

Brian V.

or fighting to not topple over when contorted peering at something at the ground and your dog comes up and decides to help??? :D I'll see what I can 'rest' the camera on, even a knee or the side of my shoe when sitting cross legged on the ground. thanks!
    //Leah
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    catspaw wrote:
    or fighting to not topple over when contorted peering at something at the ground and your dog comes up and decides to help??? :D I'll see what I can 'rest' the camera on, even a knee or the side of my shoe when sitting cross legged on the ground. thanks!

You got the idea- I often rest the lens on bits of myself :)
    Yes I get the same help from my cat which I made the mistake of tickling with my bean pole- it now follows me around bumping the bean pole for a tickle :)

Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    welcome to the forum, everything brian has already said goes for me, you have a lot more freedom to move around without tripod.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/