Options

A Few Coasters and Theme Parks - 2008

griffongriffon Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited November 30, 2008 in Journeys
My inspiration for photography kinda started by carrying around a P&S camera on theme park trips with friends when I was in college. So it seems to make sense that as I get more serious about photos, I still find a way to lug around a camera and gear to try to document some of the landscapes and coasters that have fascinated me for a number of years now.

As far as “journeys” go, this year has been a bit disappointing because I only planned to visit one new park – and surprisingly that park closed and filed for bankruptcy in September, just two weeks before I intended to make a trip there (that was Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach, by the way). I can’t believe they only managed to stay open for five months after spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build the place. So… with no more coaster riding left this season, I figured I would take a look back and share a few shots that I took at a couple parks on the East Coast.

I routinely start out the year with a trip to Busch Gardens Europe in the Spring. Living less than an hour from here, it’s a beautiful park and a great place to hang out in the summer. Even if it’s crowded there’s always landscapes, animals, and people to take photos of which never gets old. This was one of the first parks I ever went to as a kid and definitely my favorite overall.
414690485_jcMWA-L.jpg

414690434_ooMBL-L.jpg

414690504_r9z22-L.jpg

414690331_HbriQ-L.jpg

In May I took a weekend trip to the northeast with my brothers. We stopped at Six Flags Great Adventure, which is generally known for a huge collection of coasters along with humongous crowds and lines. The surprise of this trip ended up being the weather forecast for rain that only stuck around for a couple hours yet kept about a million people at home on their couches and made for a great day of non-stop coaster riding for us. I really didn't take many pictures on this trip but the night shots of El Toro came out great.
414690661_2PbFT-L.jpg

414690598_jYnsN-L.jpg

414690689_qyja3-L.jpg

Also on the trip we stopped at HersheyPark which has a great collection of wooden coasters and a new ride for this year: Fahrenheit, which, among other things, features a horrendously slow moving line. Regardless, Hershey is a great place to visit and a very well run park. I try to make it up there once a year, and it's really grown a lot over the last decade.
414709999_LGESc-L.jpg

414690745_QgnWz-L.jpg

414690771_WmwV2-L.jpg

Toward the end of the summer I ended up spending several nights after work at the closest park to my house, Kings Dominion. In August, we ended up with some unseasonably low humidity and mild temperatures which made it a great time to head up to the park and get a few pictures as the sun went down. The new attraction, Dominator is very photogenic and these are just a couple shots of many that I was able to get this year.
414690806_AAz6z-L.jpg

414690573_eCpXV-L.jpg

414690790_Kuoxq-L.jpg

414690827_UDeEp-L.jpg

Thanks for checking out the photos

-Chris

Comments

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Love that b/w !!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 14, 2008
    You are in a world of twisty, windy paths :D

Starting out the year with a coaster trip seems like a great way to kick things off.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    As a lover of theme parks I have really enjoyed this set. Number 9 downwards are my favourites in addition to the lovely black and white. I like the compositions that show the size of the ride and the stillness of the frame with the movement of the riders on it. Great work.
    I live close to Alton Towers in the UK and enjoy days out there, but it is a continual battle for parks to stay ahead of the game. A shame for those that don't make it and have to close. Keep sending them.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    susanbudge wrote:
    As a lover of theme parks I have really enjoyed this set. Number 9 downwards are my favourites in addition to the lovely black and white. I like the compositions that show the size of the ride and the stillness of the frame with the movement of the riders on it. Great work.
    I live close to Alton Towers in the UK and enjoy days out there, but it is a continual battle for parks to stay ahead of the game. A shame for those that don't make it and have to close. Keep sending them.

15524779-Ti.gif
    I especially love the last image. Who knew rollercoasters could be made into aesthetic beauty?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Very nice. I enjoyed these quite a bit. I do a lot of work at theme parks and have always enjoyed the structural lines of the coasters.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the comments. I didn't see too many theme park pictures posted on here and thought it would be something different. Hopefully I'll be able to get to some new parks next year and share more of the travel stories; there are some really great ones here. In the meantime I'll be searching for some new subjects to shoot during the winter. Not sure where to start yet.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Last shot is very interesting.
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    There are very few things cooler than a beemer in silhouette.

I like your shot with the hill of El Toro (I think) in the foreground and Kingda Ka in the background. It's like the old with the new, and in a lot of ways, the old still wins.

I really like the night shot of El Toro as well.

Is that second one in your PKD set Dominator?

My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Orlando, and are wanting to head over to Tampa Bay to check out SheiKra. At least we're getting some dive machines over on this side of the pond. :D
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    du8die wrote:
    Is that second one in your PKD set Dominator?
    Yea, all 4 of the last ones are Dominator. I spent a lot of time shooting around that ride this year for several reasons... 1. It's the closest to my house, 2. very photogenic since you can practically walk around and underneath the entire ride area, and 3. it's just awesome. It was one of my favorite rides even when it was at Geauga Lake in Ohio.

BG Tampa is a great park too along with everything in Orlando. If you've never been you will not be disappointed. Thanks again for the comments
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Yeah, I've been to BGT three or four times. Montu was excellent. It was my first non-B:TR invert. Kumba was a little rough that day. Hoping for September.

Not to turn this into a coaster forum. We've got CoasterBuzz for that. :)

Thanks!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    wow, the last few shots have superb colour!! clap.gifwings.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    loubellloubell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Photographing the unexpected
    Good idea to get great shots! Always have that camera near your side! You never know when that great shot will be looking at you saying "Hey Shot me!"
    I tried shooting a local carnival and could never get roller coaster action shots! BUT I did get some pictures of the locals - FANTASTIC! clap.gif
    ~If you're photographing in color you show the color of their clothes - if you use black and white, you will show the color of their soul.~

http://www.myspace.com/loubellsunrise

http://www.freespiritphotography.com/smugmug
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Great shots all...I especially like the one taken at night at El Toro...across the water...what a shot...

I need to get out the tripod and work on my night shooting...

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    The place in Myrtle prolly had problems because the city is making it into a old people place. They took away all the nightlife and all the things for <25 to do.

It's boring now.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    Great shots all...I especially like the one taken at night at El Toro...across the water...what a shot...
    I need to get out the tripod and work on my night shooting...
    Thanks for sharing.

Actually, I don't even bother taking a tripod in the parks... the camera bag is enough to keep up with most of the time. It limits what I can do at night, but that one of El Toro worked out because there's a long stone wall along that pond and it's pretty solid. Everyone takes shots from that angle during the day, so I thought it would be nice to go back and get a good long exposure at night just using the wall for support. I've also been able to get creative and use park benches or landscape walls. Thanks for the comments :D