Options

Yosemite, a dfferent look

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 10, 2005 in Landscapes
First attempt at processing for the trip.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Cool shot Sam, You can almost feel the mass of the rock.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Cool shot Sam, You can almost feel the mass of the rock.

15524779-Ti.gif

sam, you could even boost that saturation a bit if you like... of course that's personal taste but i don't think +10 saturation would hurt thiis pic at all.

isn't the fog and clouds great?
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Very nice. I love the look.thumb.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Sam I must have taken 20 shots of the same scene. I agree with Andy play with it a little in Ps its a great shot.
  • Options
    DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    I like it!!!
    Sam wrote:
    Yeah this is very nice!! thumb.gif
    Looks like you guys had a great time.
    I hope I can make it next time.
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Sam.

The detail and presence of that rock is terrific, most dramatic with the clouds too. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I'll try boosting the saturation some more.

I just tried it and it does look better.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Great!
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I'll try boosting the saturation some more.

I just tried it and it does look better.

I was trying for something like that too. I was so happy to see fog and clouds -- you captured exactly what I had hoped to get, but didn't. It's a keeper!
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 10, 2005
    Very nice work Sam thumb.gifthumb.gif

It looks very nice as is, but I'll defer to my betters regarding the boost in sat.

Reading Eric's comment about how he must have taken 20 shots of the same scene got me thinking. Your shot looked very familiar. I went back and looked at my shots and I think I have a wider angle IR that I took within seconds of your shot eek7.gif The wisp of cloud across the rock and the clouds on either side look almost identical. You know what they say about great minds? :lol Maybe, it's a San Jose thang....lol

Anyhow, I'll have to get someone to instruct me on straightening out the trees and it probably could have been post processed better. But, it sure looks like an IR version of your shot to me. Or am I even blinder than I thought? rolleyes1.gif

21646389-L.jpg

I am not trying to steal your thread. I just thought with all of the sights to shoot (and us not shooting this area together) that it was really strange for us to get shots from different locations, that were taken at the same exact moment :D

Good work on your part and let's keep working on that Pinnacles outing clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MHughesMHughes Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Sam it was a pleasure meeting you and that is a beautiful shot.thumb.gif
    [size=-1][/size] "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." -Diane Arbus-
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Sam - I really like this. That is one heck of a rock. I like the cloud that kind of softens the image. Nice composition and contrasts. Very nice image overall. clap.gif

One thing to try - don't know if it would work. Try a small adjustment in shadow/highlight just to boost the details in the darker area of the rock. Go very sparingly with it though - a subtle change would be best. Do it before the rest of your processing and then if it looks like it needs a little more contrast boost it a little higher than you did for this version but not to the point that you loose detail again.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Whoot! 2 really nice shots in this thread. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    Very nice work Sam thumb.gifthumb.gif

It looks very nice as is, but I'll defer to my betters regarding the boost in sat.

Reading Eric's comment about how he must have taken 20 shots of the same scene got me thinking. Your shot looked very familiar. I went back and looked at my shots and I think I have a wider angle IR that I took within seconds of your shot eek7.gif The wisp of cloud across the rock and the clouds on either side look almost identical. You know what they say about great minds? :lol Maybe, it's a San Jose thang....lol

Anyhow, I'll have to get someone to instruct me on straightening out the trees and it probably could have been post processed better. But, it sure looks like an IR version of your shot to me. Or am I even blinder than I thought? rolleyes1.gif

I am not trying to steal your thread. I just thought with all of the sights to shoot (and us not shooting this area together) that it was really strange for us to get shots from different locations, that were taken at the same exact moment :D

Good work on your part and let's keep working on that Pinnacles outing clap.gif

Steve
    I didn't take it as a hijack, my threads are for anyone.

I have some ideas for the Pinnacles............more later. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Sam - I really like this. That is one heck of a rock. I like the cloud that kind of softens the image. Nice composition and contrasts. Very nice image overall. clap.gif

One thing to try - don't know if it would work. Try a small adjustment in shadow/highlight just to boost the details in the darker area of the rock. Go very sparingly with it though - a subtle change would be best. Do it before the rest of your processing and then if it looks like it needs a little more contrast boost it a little higher than you did for this version but not to the point that you loose detail again.
    I went back and tried your idea along with more saturation, and think it's an improvement. Here is the newest version.

I can only see with my eyes....I need yours. That's why critiques are so helpful.

Sam
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I went back and tried your idea along with more saturation, and think it's an improvement. Here is the newest version.

I can only see with my eyes....I need yours. That's why critiques are so helpful.

Sam

Well, with my eyes, I think that is better. The rock details look nicer. Shame there's a couple hot spots in the clouds, but it's a strong contender. clap.gif