Options

Even MORE Yosemite pics.....lol

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited May 10, 2005 in Landscapes
Hello All,
I just scanned through some of the great shots my fellow Shootout participants have posted :thumb :thumb GREAT work guys and gals :clap :clap

As I mentioned to Andy and Gus, even thought the weather sucked this was one of the best learning experiences I've ever had :D Working next to all these fine shooters and having Mark Meunsch, the Pro, with us and watching his presentation has helped me tremendously (and boy did I need help...lol) I also got to use a 600mm lens (thanks Denny aka Lark) :thumb :thumb What a piece of white iron. Heavy, unwieldly and a bear to wrestle with on a tripod. But, oh what a lens :rolleyes Is the image quality worth spending 8 times the Bigma's price? IMHO, you betta believe it :jawdrop

Here's a little 600mm candid portrait from about 100 feet away. Slightly cropped (very slightly), but otherwise straight from the camera using Parameter 1. I linked to the original size image so you can check out the color, contrast and detail for yourself :lust

A Sony 717 IR shot on the one clear period we got
21646385-L.jpg

It mostly looked like this

21648207-L.jpg

A slow exposure of the same scene Andy has posted, but with the 18-55mm kit lens.
21651438-L.jpg

Yosemite falls inverted and rotated, as seen in a puddle of meadow water
21651446-L.jpg

600mm deer (or 3/4 of a deer....lol) who had just run through one of those puddles :uhoh

21651453-L.jpg

Finally, a 600mm woodpecker (you didn't think you were going to get through this without seein' a bird shot, did ya? :lol )

21651449-L.jpg

As you've seen, we all got some good pics and despite the weather, the weekend was a great success :thumb :thumb I highly recommend that you start saving now for the Zion Shootout next year. You won't regret it :D

Thanks for looking,
Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Good gosh, Steve. Your color shots are great, but your blk and white ones are stupendous. Did you buy that lens? rolleyes1.gif If it is worth it, well, what the hey.

And from those shots, it is worth it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Damn! Now I'm gona have to get me one those there IR cameras!

Sam

ps: Great stuff..................
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Steve,

Simply fantastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited May 9, 2005
    Those IR shots are wonderful as are those of the deer. How was that to swing
    around?

I $ee a 600mm in $teve$'$ future :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Great shots. What a great time you must have had.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Yeah, some birds
    Did you get a good one of those colorful blue western jays? I tried, but failed miserably!

Some nice pictures Steve... Love the reflection in the puddle, I have a few of those myself to post.

Nice meeting you in person.
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    You guys were cookin' out there! Terrific variety of shots Steveclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    around?

Ian

Will you feel like less of a man, given you only have a 500mm? mwink.gif

With the 500 and the 2x, I would have been able to verify whether any of the climbers on El Cap, 2000 feet up, were suffering from digestive distress :uhoh
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    CatOne wrote:
    Will you feel like less of a man, given you only have a 500mm? mwink.gif

With the 500 and the 2x, I would have been able to verify whether any of the climbers on El Cap, 2000 feet up, were suffering from digestive distress :uhoh
    Negative. I'm comfortable thumb.gif

Ian
  • Options
    Daniel ChuiDaniel Chui Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Steve, these shots are fantastic! I think that the 2nd shot is my favorite. Have you considered dropping your black point a bit (in the curves) for the tree-area of the shot? Or for the cloud area of the shot?

Perhaps by dropping the black point on the curve while keeping the bright point where it is, you would be able to bring out more details and definition not only in the trees, but in the clouds.

Cheers!

- Chui
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again :jawdrop

Stunning and breathtaking are some of the words that come to mind looking at these.

bowdown.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Steve, these shots are fantastic! I think that the 2nd shot is my favorite. Have you considered dropping your black point a bit (in the curves) for the tree-area of the shot? Or for the cloud area of the shot?

Perhaps by dropping the black point on the curve while keeping the bright point where it is, you would be able to bring out more details and definition not only in the trees, but in the clouds.

Cheers!

- Chui
    I agree,15524779-Ti.gif these are sooo wonderful!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif . I do see what you are getting at Daniel. My impression was to maybe try a touch of dodge/burn by about 3% to bring out the contrasts a bit more. There is so much that is breathtaking and awesome in these images.

Susan
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Good gosh, Steve. Your color shots are great, but your blk and white ones are stupendous. Did you buy that lens? rolleyes1.gif If it is worth it, well, what the hey.

And from those shots, it is worth it.

ginger
    Thanks Ginger :D

I knew everyone would be posting fantastic shots (and I wasn't wrong), so I figured I'd shoot some IR as something unique. I used to really enjoy shooting IR and sort of got away from it while being on my 20D kick. I found out that I need to get back to it more often iloveyou.gif

How these were shot is, I used a Sony camera with NightShot capability. An F-717, to be exact. I put it into the NightShot mode, attached a 6 stop ND filter and an R72 infrared filter and adjusted the exposure using EV Comp. The Sony NightShot mode is crippled (due to it's ability to see through certain materials) and limited in this camera to 1/60 speeds and wide open aperture (F2.0-F2.4).

Andy shot his using an IR modified DReb. You can also get the Sonys modded so that they don't need filters and aren't crippled.

If you like the IR effect, I have some others in my galleries HERE and Andy has some also :cool

Thanks for the comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited May 9, 2005
    Steve, first of all, great shots there.
    You can also get the Sonys modded so that they don't need filters and aren't crippled.
    Steve
    You'll still need the regular filters for IR work with a Max-Max converted 7 or 8 series Sony. But you won't be limited to 1/30th or below sec. exposures as in the default NightShot™ mode.

You'll also need to shoot through a hot-mirror filter for all regular color shooting.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Great stuff Steve thumb.gif
    Really proud of all you guys/gals shots
    Beautiful eyes seeing beautiful sights sharing here clap.gif

Hey ever notice how a running deer looks like a "Roo", or is that what the 600mm does :lol4
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Damn! Now I'm gona have to get me one those there IR cameras!

Sam

ps: Great stuff..................
    Thanks Sam :D

Pick up a 2nd hand Sony off Ebay or Andybay :lol . But only after you get your 20D mwink.gif

It was a pleasure to meet, talk and shoot with, you thumb.gif

Thanks for looking and see ya at Zion, if not before :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Steve,

Simply fantastic!
    Thank you Nir :D

Clear your early May 2006 calendar and join us at Zion thumb.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    around?

Ian
    Thanks Ian :D

That lens was a bear. But, if I had one, I'd probably use a Wemberly and have a sturdier pod with my bag hanging from the center shaft. I was really worried about the lens since I din't want to break it, then have to buy it :yikes

There's a thread going in DPR Canon Lens Forum, where at least 2 guys are swearing by handholding this beast. eek7.gif I might agree to a point if they were shooting BIF's, but they are shooting birds at rest :crazy

Ian, that lens is gonna be in my dreams for awhile. I must be getting really old. I never used to dream of lenses.....Laughing.gif

Thanks for looking and as usual it was a ball to see and shoot with ya thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Great shots. What a great time you must have had.

peace.
    johno~
    Thanks John :D

We all got some very nice shots. But Andy, Gus and I were sitting around on the veranda chewing the fat and we agreed that even if we came away from Yosemite without 1 decent image, the weekend would have been a rousing success. Meeting the people, the tips that were flying around, shooting with Mark M, and hearing what he does to get the most out of his shots, were priceless. My photo philosophy is to try to come back with some good pics, but by all means have a ball. I think we all adhered to it this weekend thumb.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Did you get a good one of those colorful blue western jays? I tried, but failed miserably!

Some nice pictures Steve... Love the reflection in the puddle, I have a few of those myself to post.

Nice meeting you in person.
    Thanks Dee :D

Nah, believe it or not, Gus got the best bird shots of our group. He not only got 3 or 4 really nice Jay shots, he got a woodpecker in flight shot too. He doesn't even like birds.....lol I'm really starting to dislike that guy :lol

I saw that you have a reflection thread going. I'll be sure to check it out. I just loves reflections. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that we missed Mirror Lake. That would have been awesome in both color and IR.

It was a pleasure meeting yourself, Ed and Rayna. Gimme a holler if you want to go shoot the Baylands in the near future clap.gif

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    You guys were cookin' out there! Terrific variety of shots Steveclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Susan
    Thanks Susan :D

Yep, it was certainly a target rich enviornment thumb.gif I beleive there are still a number of participants yet to be heard (or seen) from. So I'm sure you'll see an even larger variety of shots in the coming days.

We had a blast. You might want to join us next year. Zion isn't all that far :):

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Steve,

Outstanding captures! It was great meeting you up there.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    Thanks Susan :D

Yep, it was certainly a target rich enviornment thumb.gif I beleive there are still a number of participants yet to be heard (or seen) from. So I'm sure you'll see an even larger variety of shots in the coming days.

We had a blast. You might want to join us next year. Zion isn't all that far :):

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    Hey Steve,

I'm seriously thinking of how to do that:D . I passed through Zion in the late eighties for a brief glimpse via a fast stop by the brim. Another world, that's for sure and a wondrous photo op of good ol' mother nature too.

Thanks,

Susan
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005

Cheers!

- Chui
    Thanks Daniel :D

I will gladly accept all of the post tips you want to give me :): . I am pretty bad with it ne_nau.gif And you are very good at it. I will try to split the shot and play with the black point on the trees/rocks and the sky/clouds areas.
    Thank you for posting this most useful information. I thought I could make them better, but was a bit frustrated that I didn't have enough skill/knowledge to do so rolleyes1.gif I've got about 100 other IR's from this trip to practice on also....lol

Thanks for taking the time Daniel,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again :jawdrop

Stunning and breathtaking are some of the words that come to mind looking at these.

bowdown.gif

AJ
    Thanks AJ :D

This place is full of "Stunning and Breathtaking" sights. I am wowwed by some of the pics I've seen posted in the last few days. I'm beginning to wonder if some of those guys were shooting the same park I was .....lol

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Steve how did you get the time to shoot these great shots ,every time i saw Steve he was the meet and greet ambassador a great guy made everyone around feel at home .plus as you can see take fantastic shots thumb.gifclap.gif how did you get that bird if you want to see how it looks in blur I have 20 great shots :D great meeting you
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Hey Steve,

Fine shots, all of them. I'm glad you dusted off the 717 and did some iR shots. I've always enjoyed your IR work.

Sorry about the weather but I think I have the answer. Since I've moved to Florida I haven't had a drop of rain on any planned shoot. When I was in NYC the weather usually sucked when I did a planned shoot in the city. When I shot on Long Island or Westchester the weather was fine. Now when I shot in the city, who did I shoot with? Andy. Who was at Yosemite, Andy. If I recall correctly you have had some less than great weather when you have shot with Andy. The answer seems very clear to me. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Steve,

Now when I shot in the city, who did I shoot with? Andy. Who was at Yosemite, Andy. If I recall correctly you have had some less than great weather when you have shot with Andy. The answer seems very clear to me. rolleyes1.gif
    But the food is good. No? thumb.gif

Ian
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    SusanB wrote:
    I agree,15524779-Ti.gif these are sooo wonderful!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif . I do see what you are getting at Daniel. My impression was to maybe try a touch of dodge/burn by about 3% to bring out the contrasts a bit more. There is so much that is breathtaking and awesome in these images.

Susan
    Dodge and burn? headscratch.gif I've crashed and burned before, but I've never dodged or burned ne_nau.gif This sounds like something I should learn huh? Are you sure I can't fix it with Levels or Curves? rolleyes1.gif My 2 PS mainstays.....lol Blackpoint, I understand. Dodge and burn are now on my things to learn list :D

Thanks for bringing up an alternative method I can use to bring out the contrasts Susan thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Steve, first of all, great shots there.

You'll still need the regular filters for IR work with a Max-Max converted 7 or 8 series Sony. But you won't be limited to 1/30th or below sec. exposures as in the default NightShot™ mode.

You'll also need to shoot through a hot-mirror filter for all regular color shooting.
    Thanks David :D

Also, thank you for correcting the mis-information I gave to Ginger thumb.gif That speed limitation (1/60 on the 7x7's) caught me a few times on some zoomed shots. But, I was happy that I could handhold it fairly well at 150-190mm's :):

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero