Broke the *ist D, should I replace with K20D?

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited December 4, 2008 in Cameras
Unfortunately on my last roadtrip I ended up breaking my camera early into the trip, I had the flash on and the angle I fell ripped the hotshoe off the camera. I do have a large set of lenses (though I wish I had nikon, I've invested far too much in Pentax, and I love their film cameras and the *ist D was nice).

I'm now planning to replace it, but should I fork out the thousand dollars or should I look into the K10D as it's only around 500? Well if Anyone has comments about either of those two cameras let me know. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• furiousfartfuriousfart Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    I just upgraded myself from the k100D super to the k20D. So far I am enjoying it quite a bit though I find the biggest change is getting used to the body itself. And trying to learn to be able to use all the features. Though I am really glad to have done the upgraded.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    How much will it cost to repair the body you have?
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    How much will it cost to repair the body you have?

I'm not quite sure, I'll eventually repair it, but I've wanted a new camera for awhile, so this is motivation enough to get one. The main things I'm interested in that are an upgrade from the *ist D are image stabilization and the dust/moisture seals. (I do a lot of westcoast hiking during the rainy season).
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • VenturiVenturi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2008
    I have had the K20D since July and love it. I had a K10D as well and only sold it a little over a month ago to help fund the DA*50-135 and DA12-24 lenses. Both are great cameras and it would take a corporate sponsorship (yeah right) by Nikon to get me to switch.

You do lose TTL flash capability with the K-series bodies so keep that in mind if you are accustomed to it with the *istD. But other than that I can't think of any reason not to take the plunge. The high ISO and CMOS sensor are what pulled me into the K20D, but the K10D is a great camera and there are days I wish I had kept mine. The K200D is no slouch either, sensor-wise it is the same as the K10D with an extra stop of ISO; you're basically trading off some features the K10D has for having a slightly smaller size and simplified shooting.

If you're considering going with a pre-owned body, the marketplace forum at pentaxforums.com typically has at least a couple K10D and an occasional K20D up for sale.

But you know you really want it, so go for the K20D. nod.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I think the K20D may be right up your alley as well.
    I think they just dropped the price on it as well IIRC.
    It may be a good time to buy.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    The main things I'm interested in that are an upgrade from the *ist D are image stabilization and the dust/moisture seals. (I do a lot of westcoast hiking during the rainy season).

Another thought woudl be the K200D, which has both of the above, at a lower price point. I just picked up a new K200D kit for CAD 600, and it seems very solid. thumb.gif
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    K20D now a bargain
    Just get the K20D. It is a true bargain <$800. I've owned an *DS, a K10D, and now a K20D. The K10D is a fine camera, but the K20D is superior in ways that you figure out about 2,000 shots into it.
    Better white balance, better dust busting, far better focusing accuracy with newer lenses. The jpegs out of the camera are exponentially better than anything prior. The 14.6 MP resolution is very handy for editing as well. You also get the capability to tweak AF accuracy for up to 20 individual lenses (Pentax or 3rd party)--very effective.
    The weather sealing is excellent, especially if you use the newer DA* lenses that are share this feature.
    Also, I strongly recommend purchasing the grip. Balances the camera wonderfully and is quite functional. I've only taken it off to change batteries and some tripod gigs.
    I just finished using the K20D on a grueling 9-day assignment with a few thousand shutter activations. Two-thirds of those shots were with a Metz 58 AF flash. I have no complaints.

M
    edited November 15, 2008
    I've got the money (Next paycheck at least) so I'll be getting the K20D then. :) I'm quite excited, I need my camera back!
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Soooo, did you get it??? I've loved the Pentax's since the *istD and the K20D is no exception.
    edited December 4, 2008
    I got it today, but I got home at 8pm. I've had a few glasses of wine so I can't drive... what should I do :D