Options

American Invasion

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited May 9, 2005 in Holy Macro
Shots from last weekends Fireworks for VE day.

NeilyB and I took a last minute decision to shoot the fireworks. My Keeper hit rate was very low, preferring to shoot F/16 to F/22 @ about 2.5 - 3.2 sec exposure iso 100

The 355th fighter group were stationed in the next village, so a party was held on Sunday evening in their honour. The veterans have retained very strong links with the area and return most summers. The party was held

here
21658342-M.jpg

For over 200 guests.

then afterwards there was a firework display.
Unfortunately it was not totally dark

21659701-M.jpg

21659703-M.jpg

Thank you for looking

Stan

Neilyb was using a faster exposure on a wider lens.

Post some to compare Neily

Comments

• Options
    NeilyBNeilyB Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    Here are my attempts....

This is the gatehouse to the party taken earlier in the day. The fireworks were let off in the grounds behind this impressive building.

Gatehouse.jpg

EXIF:
    Date/Time: 2005:05:08 11:32:29
    Shutter speed: 1/750 sec
    Aperture: 4.5
    ISO: 100
    Focal length: 30mm

Firework1.jpg

EXIF:
    Date/Time: 2005:05:08 22:10:00
    Shutter speed: 1 sec
    Aperture: 6.7
    Focal length: 28mm

Firework2.jpg

EXIF:
    Date/Time: 2005:05:08 22:12:00
    Shutter speed: 0.707106 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Exposure mode: Manual
    Focal length: 28mm

Very hit and miss night on these fireworks. We could do with an other American delegation and a few thousand pounds more fireworks to improve our efforts..

Any takers ?

NeilyB
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    I pulled the blue in the RAW sky back to a more neutral grey but utherwise similar
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2005
    I actually like the fact that it wasn't totally dark. I like the colors in the sky behind the fireworks. Yes, I know it's normal to have a black sky to make the fireworks stand out, but sometimes it's just good to be something other than normal.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    I actually like the fact that it wasn't totally dark. I like the colors in the sky behind the fireworks. Yes, I know it's normal to have a black sky to make the fireworks stand out, but sometimes it's just good to be something other than normal.
    It was getting late and cold, the vets pack alot into their trips when they come, so letting off a few fireworks, half an hour early, is quite understandable. We shot RAW to allow the ability to vary the background

thanks Phil U
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 9, 2005
    Nice work gentlemen thumb.gifthumb.gif

I'm with Phil 100% on the not so dark sky. Not only does it give the pics more appeal, IMHO, it also makes shooting them a bit easier. I like these much better than the inky black sky versions. Maybe it's a matter of taste?

Thanks for sharing them and reminding us of the day they commemorate clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero