A few from me C&C

jwoodsjwoods Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 12, 2008 in People
I've been lurking around this forum for sometime now and decided to post a few. These are some of my favorites taken these past few weeks. C&C is greatly appreciated!

All taken with
Nikon D40 50mm 1.8

My great friend of 20 years. Staci
093020083.jpg

A family I had the pleasure of working with...minus Daddy (in Iraq)
better2.jpg

My mother and baby brother
DSC_0575.jpg

From an egagement session-a great friend of mine. Kayla and Mitch
DSC_0604.jpg

Allison
DSC_0751.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    the 1st and last one I really like
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2008
    I like the last two best.
  • jwoodsjwoods Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 13, 2008
    thanks!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Hi! These are nice! I really like the overall feel of them... Here's my c&c:

1. I think the color is off - I'm guessing too yellow. I'm really bad with color, but I can usually tell when it's not right. I think that's what's giving this beautiful girl splotchy skin - I doubt it's really like that. It's a gorgeous photo other than the color, though!

2. This one looks a bit too cool, too blue. I'd warm it just a tad. (That happens in the shade!) I'd also bump the contrast just slightly - especially the lower midtones. I'd crop a bit closer on the top and left side of the photo to bring more focus on the family. I love how they're sitting and they have wonderful expressions! You got the hard parts down for sure!!

3. This is almost a really good photo. It looks to me as though there is a film over it in parts that makes it blue and foggy just slightly and distracts me. I'm not really sure what it is, though. Anyway, great layout, fabulous expressions, great clarity in the eyes (although hers are slightly dark)

4. I think the color is slightly off in this - maybe a tad warm? Not sure. But otherwise it's gorgeous!

5. Beautiful! Both the girl and the photo!

Wonderful series!
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Great Photos!

Something seems off in #1 but not sure if, you over pp it or what.
    It looks like she has alot of freckles but the softness of the shot don't
    let you see them very good. Also something about the nose that jumps out as off a bit.

Do you care to show us the original file of #1?
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    That first shot is the best. The others are bit too obvious in terms of posing and mood-- least for me.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Well, I think they all show a great connection with your subjects. Great smiles and sparkling eyes. I also like that you're not afraid of a little different shooting angle and that you let your subjects go out of frame easily. That makes for a much more intimate feeling in these shots.

Yeah, I'd de-splotch the girl's face in #1. (I like the warm almost blowing out feel of it) Subjects in 2-5 are a little blue shifted. I'd give Allison a boost in the contrast too.

You've got a little tech-wise to work on, but I believe you really show a flair for capturing people. Good work!
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    well, these aren't too bad... I think you did do a good job in capturing them, but as for critique, let's see.

#1, I like the angle and the shot, but I think her skin looks quite splotchy. Fixing that would greatly help the shot and would bring more empahsis to her eyes.

#2 Not too bad, but here I think the shot would be better if it were in more shade. The problem is that the background is really bright. There are a couple ways of fixing this, for example a grad nd filter could help, or even using something like lightroom. Another possibility would be if you were using off camera lighting and you were to expose for the background and light them with the flash etc. that would probably help as well.

#3, nice look, only problem is that I think she looks a bit like she is grimacing.

#4 Nice clear shot but I think it would look a bit better if she was a bit lower in the frame. This photo looks a bit cramped to me.

#5 I like the sharpness of her right eye, but her left eye is out of focus. I think this greatly detracts from the overall photo. Stopping down your aperture a bit would probably be rather helpful with this shot.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography