Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 zoom or the Nikon 85mm f 1.4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4 primes.

hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited December 19, 2008 in Cameras
I'm thinking about what I may pay Santa to get me this year. Seeing that I'm planning on spending around $1500 I was considering either getting the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 zoom or the Nikon 85mm f 1.4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4 primes.

I'm favoring the prime option better for low light, and possibly better bokeh, and a slight weight advantage, but then none of these are really what anyone would consider light. I do not do much portrait shooting so the 85's reputation as a great portrait lens is not a prime consideration, I'm far more interested in low light performance.

On the other hand the 24-70 is a great lens, but I already have the Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR. Don't know that I really need anything in the 35-70 range other then a 50. I'd have some overlap between the 85 and the 70-200, but if I just need something at the shallow end of telephoto the 85 would be easier to handle hand held.

I seem incredibly drawn to primes in this focal range but worry that there may be some aspect I'm not taking into consideration?

I'd like to see how others weigh in on this choice.
"But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    I'm thinking about what I may pay Santa to get me this year. Seeing that I'm planning on spending around $1500 I was considering either getting the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 zoom or the Nikon 85mm f 1.4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4 primes.

I'm favoring the prime option better for low light, and possibly better bokeh, and a slight weight advantage, but then none of these are really what anyone would consider light. I do not do much portrait shooting so the 85's reputation as a great portrait lens is not a prime consideration, I'm far more interested in low light performance.

On the other hand the 24-70 is a great lens, but I already have the Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR. Don't know that I really need anything in the 35-70 range other then a 50. I'd have some overlap between the 85 and the 70-200, but if I just need something at the shallow end of telephoto the 85 would be easier to handle hand held.

I seem incredibly drawn to primes in this focal range but worry that there may be some aspect I'm not taking into consideration?

All three are fine choices. The 24-70 is probably the best glass of the three and gives one the most flexibility. I have the 85 1.4 and love it but don't use it that often. Also when shooting it wide open I've found that it tends to show CA.

If you were shoooting an oplder Nikon body I would say go with the faster glass but the low light capabilities of the D3 and D700 make that less of a priority.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    All three are fine choices. The 24-70 is probably the best glass of the three and gives one the most flexibility. I have the 85 1.4 and love it but don't use it that often. Also when shooting it wide open I've found that it tends to show CA.

If you were shoooting an oplder Nikon body I would say go with the faster glass but the low light capabilities of the D3 and D700 make that less of a priority.

The more I have thought about it the more I agree that the 24-70 would be the wiser choice, f2.8 is should be fast enough on the D700, if not I always have my 50mm f1.8 to fall back on.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Markie DMarkie D Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2008

I have the 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8vr, and 105 Macro. These outstanding lens with the greatest quality. All I can say is that you get what you pat for... :-)