Options

B&W with a hint of colour?

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited November 20, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm very new to using PS and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have a 'black and white' image with a tint of blue\red\purple\brown\'vanilla', etc... I'm only using elements so actions aren't an option. Any help would be fab! Thanks in advance!!:D
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 13, 2008
    I'm very new to using PS and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have a 'black and white' image with a tint of blue\red\purple\brown\'vanilla', etc... I'm only using elements so actions aren't an option. Any help would be fab! Thanks in advance!!:D

There are a number of ways to accomplish this. The easiest is to choose the color you want, place a solid color fill layer on top of the B&W and set the blending mode of the fill layer to color. Then adjust the opacity of the fill layer to taste and flatten.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    If you're looking for a general wash tint (like a sepia), then either:
    1. If you're using CS3 or CS4, you can click the 'tint' button on the Black and White Adjustment (or adjustment layer) tab and choose the color you would like to use as tinting.
    2. Use the color fill layer technique Richard suggested above.
    IF you're looking to have the natural colors of the photo peek through the black and white layer - kind of like hand painting - then you could:

1) Start with the full color photo in it's own layer
    2) If you're using CS3 or CS4:
    • Create a B&W Adjustment layer and adjust the B&W image as you like it
    If earlier than CS3:
    • Duplicate the layer - name it B&W
    • Adjust the layer to make it Black and White (Desaturate, Brightness/Saturation, or Black & White
    3) Then reduce the opacity of the B&W layer until the color peeks through for the effect you're seeking!

Hope that helps!
    - Gary.
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    For me I've always found the easiest way to do this is to take your black and white image and then add a "photo filter" adjustment layer(click the button that looks like a black and white cookie under the layers tab on the right of the screen) Then you can choose a preset filter color or choose your own color and set the density to your liking. Never hesitate to ask questions about Photoshop, its a complex program but its really helpful once you get a hang of it, plus someone on here will almost always be able to help!

**edit: this is how I did it in Elements 6.0**
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Are you actually looking for a toned B&W or wanting to leak some of original color through (or both)?

I'm not sure what tools you have available in Elements (which version btw?), but in the very least Richard's techniques are.

Allowing some original colour would just be swapping the B&W layer to a saturation with the slider almost all the way down - you can then tone that in the same fashion.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses, I'll have to bookmark this.
    Unfortunately at this time I have Elements 4.0, hopefully sometime after the holidays I'll have some extra cash-ola to upgrade!
    If I have a chance to play around I'll be sure to let you all know how it worked out! Thanks again! (this is why I LOVE Dgrin :D )
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the responses, I'll have to bookmark this.
    Unfortunately at this time I have Elements 4.0, hopefully sometime after the holidays I'll have some extra cash-ola to upgrade!
    If I have a chance to play around I'll be sure to let you all know how it worked out! Thanks again! (this is why I LOVE Dgrin :D )

If you want, send me a photo with an idea of what you want to accomplish and I can take a crack at it. If it's what you like, I can give you a macro or just a set of instructions on exactly how to do it for when you get PS.

- Gary.