Black & White Conversions

swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
edited November 14, 2008 in Finishing School
I have had a number of people ask me how I do my B&W conversions. You can see samples here: http://www.jonathanswinton.com/China

B&W conversions:
1. First I load the images into Lightroom (really an amazing B&W tool).
2. I put the image in grayscale mode.
3. Then I usually do some minor adjustments with the tone curve tool.
4. Then I do my last adjustments with the grayscale channel mixer. The channel mixer is the best kept secret in B&W digital photography. The power you can have with that tool is remarkable. Try swinging the mixer bars all the way to one side or another to see what creative adjustments you can do. I can usually find one or two that produce some adjustments I like.
5. Then once I have completed these 3 steps and my image is mostly like I want it, then I save it as a PSD.
6. I then load the image in photoshop.
7. If I have any other adjustments to do that I can't do in lightroom I do it now.
8. Then I add a photo filter layer. My favorite filter by far is the Warming Filter (81). It is the 3rd preset filter - much better than the other warming filters in my opinion. I usually add around 18%-24% density depending on the image. This filter gives me tones very similar to what I use to get using Ilford warmtone milticontrast paper with Dektol developer in the darkroom. Quite lovely.
9. Save it and it is done!

It should be said, if you don't have lightroom, you can still do channel mixing and tonal curve adjustments in photoshop as an added layer - similar to the photo filter layer, i just find it easier to do it in Lightroom.

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Nice pictures of China Swinton ! :D
    Nice B&W conversions ...:D
    LR is pretty good isn't it ?
    thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    I just acquired Lightroom this week and am having SO much fun playing around with it (and the many presets out there) - it's all trial and error at the moment, but it's still fun!

I will say for down-and-dirty instant editing and cataloguing I prefer Picasa because it's quicker and just easier to navigate IMO, but LR is definitely a valuable tool for things I can't do in other programs (or can only do with more effort). Very glad I have it!
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Nice pictures of China Swinton ! :D
    Nice B&W conversions ...:D
    LR is pretty good isn't it ?
    thumb.gif

Thanks!

Yes LR has completely transformed how I process digital images. Historically I would spend hours opening images in photoshop and processing them one by one. LR is awesome.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Good shots and conversions. I have a very similar approach except I tend to use Lightroom's split toner to achieve the tone.

The only thing to add is the choice of colour in subject when appropriate and possible - I've done a BW shoot at a billiards club with mostly red balls, green baize on the table and a blue shirt - just so I could separate it easily in post if I wanted to lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 13, 2008
    And about LR2 :D
    Do you know this ?
    Tonight I have been installing and paying with Mogrify. Pretty good as far as I can see.
    Tomorrow, I will go into the Enfuse business :D
    How about you ? mwink.gif
    :Dthumb.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    And about LR2 :D
    Do you know this ?
    Tonight I have been installing and paying with Mogrify. Pretty good as far as I can see.
    Tomorrow, I will go into the Enfuse business :D
    How about you ? mwink.gif
    I don't have LR 2 yet - on my wishlist. Let me know if its worth the upgrade!
    edited November 14, 2008
    I don't have LR 2 yet - on my wishlist. Let me know if its worth the upgrade!

I think that the program is very good.
    Well, hat depends on one's opinion and demand !:D
    You can download and try it.
    It's simple and intuitive.

My images improved with the use of this program. I am following a workshop in Lisbon in January. Meanwhile, I am studying it with a Portuguese book and I have already ordered one by Scott Kelby
    I also think that the program is rather new and it is a good idea to go for it now as it is simpler than the up coming versions...
    I mean, AutoCAD 2004 was easier than AutoCAD 2009...