Options

What settings would you use?

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited April 23, 2004 in Technique
This was taken with a Canon A80 and these settings 1/5 F5.0. I was just playing around trying to get as close and clear a macro as I could.

nastybugdeathmed.jpg

I played with two or three different settings and several of the preset modes. This is the best out of all of the shots. Are there other settins I could be using that would make it even clearer or a specific distance I should try for? I was following the camera's recommendations for distance of focus. Can you tell what the subject is?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    Looks like an exoskeleton of a bug. You'll need a smaller aperture to get better DOF (if that's what you're after). You may also want to experiment with various lighting, including flash.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Looks like an exoskeleton of a bug. You'll need a smaller aperture to get better DOF (if that's what you're after). You may also want to experiment with various lighting, including flash.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    That is the exoskeleton of a earwig that was pulled off of a Prefilter in a water treatment system. If that filter hadn't been in the house the bug would have gone from the well into which ever faucet they were running maybe the kitchen sink. Hey Ma why's the soup so crunchy.

Anyways smaller apeture K check. Is that a setting in the camera (remember I am really just starting to learn all the technical parts of photography) or do I just have to wait for my Film SLR and eventually DSLR to get the kind of results I want?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    It looks like the A80 has an Av (aperture priority) mode and a macro mode.

See page 78 in your user manual for macro mode and page 91 for Av mode.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    Thank you.
    www.zxstudios.com