Photomatix- luvin it - HDR

pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
edited November 14, 2008 in Landscapes
This was done with just one raw exposure. Am impressed. Would have taken alot longer using raw converter in CS3. Discounts everywhere for
software. Will be using alot on landscape shots.

415901323_7RDSV-M.jpg

Comments

• Code BlueCode Blue Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Wow, I guess I had it completely wrong in my head. So if your constantly shooting in raw, you simply need one image to achieve HDR photography? I was under the assumption that it was 3 photographs headscratch.gifscratch
    My Equipment:
    Canon 20d + Grip / Canon 580 EX / Canon 17-40L / Canon 24-105L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISL / Mannfrotto 055MF3 Tripod w/329RC4 Head.

Hoping to get back into the art and improve my skills whenever needed.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 13, 2008
    No, you had it right. Three images, even five or more is common. You can also use a single RAW and it takes advantage of its wide dynamic range to produce a "pseudo-HDR", as it's usually called. It won't give you the range of a multi-exposure HDR, but it can produce some darn good results in many cases.

Honestly, I think this one is a bit overcooked for my taste. The foreground looks brighter than the sky, and things are overly saturated. It is pleasing to the eye though.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Yah, you can get a bit of an HDR look, but really only have the dynamic range of a single exposure. By definition.
  • Code BlueCode Blue Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Blackwood wrote:
    Yah, you can get a bit of an HDR look, but really only have the dynamic range of a single exposure. By definition.

Ahh ok. Thank you guys for clearing this up for me ! you learn something new every day
    My Equipment:
    Canon 20d + Grip / Canon 580 EX / Canon 17-40L / Canon 24-105L / Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISL / Mannfrotto 055MF3 Tripod w/329RC4 Head.

Hoping to get back into the art and improve my skills whenever needed.
    edited November 14, 2008
    Blackwood wrote:

I think it's better than that. True, you get the dynamic range of a single RAW exposure. But you've increased the dynamic range of the resultant JPG over what would have gotten if you'd not done the HDR. It really is a win.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Another plus is that by using one exposure, moving objects are only effected by a single exposure time rather than several.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited November 14, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    Another plus is that by using one exposure, moving objects are only effected by a single exposure time rather than several.

Good point, and one that I've taken advantage of myself.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Good point, and one that I've taken advantage of myself.

Yup, true dat. :) For landscapes with any sort of movement (clouds, magic light, etc), trying to bracket can be really challenging. Also throw in trying to shoot a 6 or 8 frame pano, with bracketting each shot, and it get's even trickier. I've started to do lots of single shot merges, and they can be great for a bit of extra range. Not as good as a true bracketted merge, but still good. :D

James
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    HDR AND PHOTOMATIX hot topics these days. Some luv it and others negative. Such is life. Yes you can go from a oil painting look to trying to get a "normal" blend like you would do in the field using nd filters or spending much time in PS with masks etc. This software offers another option in our digital world and is just plain fun to use IMHO..

This shot was taken with a D3, 24-70mm lens, f/11 @ 1/80. Lighting was
    as seen in pic, wind and clouds were awesome. I DID NOT OWN PHOTOMATIX when I took pic.

In CS3 Raw converter shot was processed 5 times @ 0,1,2,-1,-2 exposures. (The beauty of using RAW)
    Saved as tiffs and processed in Photomatix to achieve what you see. This
    is VERY close to what I saw that day. Again alot of fun "developing" and will continue to experiment with.. A great link below. He offers 3 videos on
    Hdr, two on Photomatix and one using CS3 for a HDR...

http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/pfdp_player.php?ID=72

Enjoy