Spring has sprung

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited November 15, 2008 in Holy Macro
Another trip out to the lake this morning and found a lot more activity. However with over night temps not getting below 18C everything was quite active so it was hard work. This is a shot of baby beetle, yet to be identified, that can't have hatched long ago. You can still see the empty eggs. When I get time I have a few more to edit and post.

416450907_RKP4R-L.jpg

And one more from this morning. The Damsels were back and at it again. Must be the time of year for it. A little different shot than last years, a different angle with a different background. Focus drops off when you do that and side on is still the best with such a shallow DOF.

416504380_2L9Ac-XL.jpg

And lastly, this looks like a couple that haven't quite made up their mind to "Do it" yet!!

416554576_vQy5F-L.jpg

Here is one I shot this morning. It is a hover fly and I have a version I shot last year but I wanted a better one. Not sure this is much of an improvement but will keep working on getting better. This BTW has had no crop. With the use of extension tubes I was able to fill the frame this time.

413885608_vG6dW-L-1.jpg

413938067_5mHXz-L.jpg

413938762_AnwNz-L.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Wonderful series esp like the colour/light composition of #2.
    Assume these are all natiral light ?

Think #1 are shieldbug nymphs

Brian V.
  • obecanobeobecanobe Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Great captures, like the whole series.
    Canon 40D, 17-85mm Kit Leans, 60mm 2.8 Canon, MR-14EX, Kenko Tubes
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    Thank Geoff and Brian, pleased yu liked them. Yes I thought they were nymph's (baby beetles!). There have been a lot of lady bird nymphs there as well. When you look close it is amazing just what there is around in our favourite area.
  • stevehappstevehapp Registered Users Posts: 635 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    excellent work, ralph..

I love #4 particularly..
    Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6L, sigma 105mm Macro.
    Blog + Twitter
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Aussieroo wrote:
    Another trip out to the lake this morning and found a lot more activity. However with over night temps not getting below 18C everything was quite active so it was hard work. This is a shot of baby beetle, yet to be identified, that can't have hatched long ago. You can still see the empty eggs. When I get time I have a few more to edit and post.

And one more from this morning. The Damsels were back and at it again. Must be the time of year for it. A little different shot than last years, a different angle with a different background. Focus drops off when you do that and side on is still the best with such a shallow DOF.

And lastly, this looks like a couple that haven't quite made up their mind to "Do it" yet!!

Here is one I shot this morning. It is a hover fly and I have a version I shot last year but I wanted a better one. Not sure this is much of an improvement but will keep working on getting better. This BTW has had no crop. With the use of extension tubes I was able to fill the frame this time.

Ralph your Damself flies are beautiful clap.gif :ivar
    I was out trying to shoot Hoverflies this morning too, but it was too windy to do it.....there's plenty around, but the wind makes it impossible.

Nice work....... I hope I can share a Hoverfly shot with you folks soon too.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Thanks Skippy and Steve, I appreciate you looking and your comments.

I look forward t seeing your hover flies Skippy. It doesn't take much of a breeze to move the subject matter and ruin the pic. But thats the challenge of macro shooting.