Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment for the Week: 4/23-4/30

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited April 27, 2004 in Finishing School
Displaying Your Images

Use the photo editing software of your choice to create a presentation for your images. Examples include picture frames, borders, vignettes, etc...

There are two goals of this assignment: To find a presentation that adds to your image and to help you become more familiar with your photo editing software. If you already have a favorite presentation, try to come up with something new. If you find a presentation that you like, try to create the same look using different tools.

Here are a couple examples:

Vignette:
3668393-M.jpg

Brushed Metal Frame:
3668395-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    I took this at a wedding last summer so I can't use it for "people in hats", but I've been messing with photoimpact this afternoon and come up with this.... 3669363-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I took this at a wedding last summer so I can't use it for "people in hats", but I've been messing with photoimpact this afternoon and come up with this....
    3669363-S.jpg
    Looks good! That's an effect that I've seen and wanted to try but never have gotten around to it.

Oh, thanks for posting. I just hope your post and mine aren't the only two we have all week :(:
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Looks good! That's an effect that I've seen and wanted to try but never have gotten around to it.

Oh, thanks for posting. I just hope your post and mine aren't the only two we have all week :(:

Jeebus cletus...today's the first day. relax. imo post some stuff this weekend. I don't like the frame stuff, but I can definitely get jiggy with vignettes.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Some different ones I tried a while ago. In the spirit of this challenge, I shall also come up with new ones. Maybe some that look like hats.

3295831-M.jpg3296166-M.jpg

3295676-M.jpg3295556-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    Fun with colors and borders.

3686988-M.jpg

Nah, that's too conservative. Tell you what, how's about we let our hair down a little bit?

3687071-M.jpg

OK, OK, not too shabby. But surely you can get a little wilder than that, can't you?

3687561-M.jpg

Now you're talking. C'mon, one more big push - let's see what you got.

3687559-M.jpg

Well, this is all well and fine. But don't you have anything that looks like a hat?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    Looks good sid!
  • Options
    wkworkwkwork Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    3704537-M.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like frames, but here's what I got. Whatever you do, it looks amateurish.

Keith
    Keith Work
    A Texan back home again!
  • Options
    gypsy77360gypsy77360 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    frames
    this PSE is harder than Chinese arithmetic...3704524-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here's an attempt at vignetting a hat pic.

First, the original.

3706441-M.jpg

Which I must say so is so finely framed that it doesn't need vignetting to draw your eye to the hat. *sigh* What I do to please the moderators. mwink.gif Here it is with vignetting.

3710237-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    "I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like frames, but here's what I got. Whatever you do, it looks amateurish."

Someones bound to prove us wrong, but I agree.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    my attempt
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    my attempt

Now Thats pretty neet. I like it.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    thanks greap... it's a real sleaze job really... took the blossom back ground, layered it on top of the model, used "polar coordinates" in filters, an then erased the center... cheating all the way..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Not cheating at all, that's how it's done. Cool idea, Lynn! You're thinking outside the box, errr bouquet, ummm floral arrangement, ermmm garland. Oh, whatever... nice idea.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Not cheating at all, that's how it's done. Cool idea, Lynn! You're thinking outside the box, errr bouquet, ummm floral arrangement, ermmm garland. Oh, whatever... nice idea.
    Thanks Sid... I've been sitting here for five hours trying to do something with Miss April.... I'm about to commit hari kari, throw meself on the funeral pyre soon... I blurred her so much you could'nt see her...yelrotflmao.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Nice work Lynn thumb.gif

Really good idea!
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here's another:
    3735311-M.jpg

Here is a description of how I came up with this.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    Most excellent, Mr. Cletus, most excellent! Great tutorial, thanks for takng the time - extremely good work, sir.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    "I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like frames, but here's what I got. Whatever you do, it looks amateurish."
    Someones bound to prove us wrong, but I agree.
    cletus wrote:
    Here's another:

Proved wrong already!
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    Thanks!

I was starting to get pretty tired last night while I was writing the tutorial. That's why the instructions keep getting less detailed as the tutorial goes on :D

I'll do a re-write on the tutorial some time today or tommorow.

Super Cool Photo Presentation Hint
    When I saw this in one of the recent issues of Photoshop User and my jaw hit the floor. Not only is it way cool, it's simple and it's a very creative idea. I was going to wait and use this one myself but I'm running out of time for this assignment. I'll go ahead and describe the technique and see if anyone wants to give it a shot.

The photographer took a picture of a piece of white (any color would work) foam-core board sitting on an easel. Once in Photoshop the photographer created a file with the easel on one layer and the image to be displayed on another. They used Free Transform to fit the image onto the white foam-core.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    I'll see if I can still get the current issue. Barnes and Noble usually has it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll see if I can still get the current issue. Barnes and Noble usually has it.
    I'm pretty sure it's in the March issue.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2004
    Lynn seems to be headed in an interesting direction...
    GREAPER wrote:
    Lynn seems to be headed in an interesting direction, at least. I'm not really into the framing or bordering... When I mat my prints for shows, display or sale, I use only the simplest of matting and simple frames... I want the work to speak, not the "packaging?"
    But here's one of my attempts...

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    Now, this one is Great!!!
    cletus wrote:
    Here's another:
    3735311-M.jpg

Cletus.... Absolutely fantastic.
    Not like a border at all, and that's what I like about it.

Really great concept.
    Well done.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Cletus.... Absolutely fantastic.
    Not like a border at all, and that's what I like about it.

Really great concept.
    Well done.

ginette
    Thanks! :andy

I'm surprised this one was so much of a hit. It's really a fairly simple thing. I've seen a bunch of variations on this idea in various Photoshop books and magazines.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2004
    Rusty frame for a rusty boat
    It seems like not too many people are fond of Photoshop generated frames. I'm not real crazy about them either, but I think they are fun to play around with!

3758230-M.jpg

One nice thing about frames in Photoshop is that they make a good learning tool. They help you practice creating artwork (for the frame itself) from scratch and layering images. You can also use them for practice with Layer Styles.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited April 27, 2004
    Cletus,

Thanks for the tips!

3768344-M.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Cletus,

Thanks for the tips!

3768344-M.jpg
    Cletus,
    Again, very nicely done. Very professional, as well. Your talent shines through.

ginette
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Cletus,
    Again, very nicely done. Very professional, as well. Your talent shines through.

ginette
    Thanks ginette....

But I think you should be complimenting Ian :D
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Cletus,

Thanks for the tips!

thumb.gif Nice one, Ian. Way to take the idea and make it yours. nod.gif
    Sid.