Options

Ceremony question

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Weddings
When I meet the officient at the rehersal, they are very quick to tell me when I can't take pictures...and from the experience I've had it's during most of the ceremony....I have to think that this isn't a local thing that I run into...but how on earth do you people negotiate to have more pictures of the wedding ceremony, and during times that I've never been allowed to shoot...should I just skip the meeting and use the ignorance is bliss theory and just shoot anyway...how do you all handle this!??

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    When I meet the officient at the rehersal, they are very quick to tell me when I can't take pictures...and from the experience I've had it's during most of the ceremony....I have to think that this isn't a local thing that I run into...but how on earth do you people negotiate to have more pictures of the wedding ceremony, and during times that I've never been allowed to shoot...should I just skip the meeting and use the ignorance is bliss theory and just shoot anyway...how do you all handle this!??
    Go to the meeting - ignorance is no excuse. You don't want to be blacklisted from shooting in that church - it's very bad for business. In addition, it's only at these meetings that you have any opportunity to take to the officiant and negotiate some wiggle room.

Sometimes you can talk them into allowing you to shoot without flash. Sometimes they won't allow you to approach the alter any closer than the last seated guest. Sometimes, the require you to TURN OFF the camera once the bride has arrived at the alter and not allow it to be turned on again until just before "You may kiss your bride." Whatever the rules, don't break them. And, if you do break them, don't get caught - but I really don't suggest this option.:D
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    I would never skip out on the meeting, meant that more tongue in cheek than anything...I'm just curious as to how folks get away with all these shots...for the ones that I've met, I've talked about not using flash, and the reasoning is more that it's a sacred service, and that it's disrespectful to record it, that I'm there as much of a part of the ceremony and as a witness as the rest of the people are, and that I should be paying attention, and less of a flash thing....I very much follow the rules...just sometimes wish I didn't have too! Any tips on negotiating for more shots??
    Thanks!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    I think this will vary based on the church. Always ask if you can shoot from a distance, without flash, etc. so you aren't a distraction. The worst they can say is "no". Ask about staging some shots after the real ceremony. I think a lot of officiants will play along when it's not part of the actual sacred exchanging of vows and saying prayers.

Caroline
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    I have never had any restrictions placed on my taking pictures.
    They just ask that I stay out of the front where I would be a distraction.
    Then with the d700 I don't need a flash so I just blast away either from the back with the 70-200 on ISO 3200 or closer if I can manage it without being a distraction.

I have never been to a pre meeting of any kind. I meet the bridal party at the church 3 hours early for pictures and then have a chat with the minister when he shows up. I tell him how beautiful his church is and how excited he must be to get to marry such an awesome couple, then I ask him how he would prefer me to photograph the ceremony and he tells me his rules.
    Guess I have been lucky so far.

I wouldn't use the ignorance is bliss theory, never a good idea to upset anyone at a wedding you are being paid to photograph.
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    I have never had any restrictions placed on my taking pictures.
    They just ask that I stay out of the front where I would be a distraction.
    Then with the d700 I don't need a flash so I just blast away either from the back with the 70-200 on ISO 3200 or closer if I can manage it without being a distraction.

I have never been to a pre meeting of any kind. I meet the bridal party at the church 3 hours early for pictures and then have a chat with the minister when he shows up. I tell him how beautiful his church is and how excited he must be to get to marry such an awesome couple, then I ask him how he would prefer me to photograph the ceremony and he tells me his rules.
    Guess I have been lucky so far.

I wouldn't use the ignorance is bliss theory, never a good idea to upset anyone at a wedding you are being paid to photograph.

This is the best advice I have heard here. I like your approach.thumb.gif
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Ive had a few times were there was some serious negotiating and was able to work out something that worked (ive never had to "fake" a shot after) . Only one time did the pastor say absolutely no photos. For that wedding I shot from the lobby through the 2 back side doors 1/4 open with the 70-200, everyone was happy:D
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    This is where long, fast lenses, and HQ high-ISO come in handy. Not too often will the officiant say you can't shoot from the choir loft or rear of the church. I've also had success just asking for flash at the first kiss since everyone in the church is blasting away then anyway. By all means ask and show respect the rules of the officiant and the church. Also good policy to put that type of verbage into your contract... B&G must understand that you are not responsible for those shots that are against the rules of the church or officiant.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    This is where long, fast lenses, and HQ high-ISO come in handy. Not too often will the officiant say you can't shoot from the choir loft or rear of the church. I've also had success just asking for flash at the first kiss since everyone in the church is blasting away then anyway. By all means ask and show respect the rules of the officiant and the church. Also good policy to put that type of verbage into your contract... B&G must understand that you are not responsible for those shots that are against the rules of the church or officiant.

Matt

Good advice about adding that to your contract.thumb.gif
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    Also good policy to put that type of verbage into your contract... B&G must understand that you are not responsible for those shots that are against the rules of the church or officiant.

Matt
    And good business sense - your client must understand that you, as the guest, must work within the rules laid down by the officient and the reception venue management. I use words to the effect that I'm more than happy to provide technical advise but the negotiations, if any, are between the client and the officient/management.

When a decision is made, I salute smartly and press on as directed. Getting black-listed at either a church or a reception venue is not something I would like to have happen to me - too much potential loss of revenuemwink.gif
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    My contract clearly states that I will & MUST follow the house rules.

I follow the house rules. I've seen a photographer dressed down during a ceremony by an officiant...it is NOT pretty.

http://jknauer.smugmug.com/gallery/4953472_CzJ4P#300130875_erLuc

This wedding had a no shots from walk to kiss rule. The job was referred to my by the pastor who I had worked with before on a subcontract job. When she laid down the rules, I accepted them, didn't argue, and didn't cheat. She told me I was the first photographer who didn't try to give her a hard time. Bottom line, make sure the bride and groom know what they are going to get within the framework of the rules, follow the rules, and let rule negotiation to be up to the bride and groom.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    Never even considered putting this in contract. I've always, however made sure that my conversation at the church, always involved the bride, so she knew it was their definition...not mine...when I would be able to shoot. I don't like being in the way, so I tend to hide, as much as possible.
    I will inquire next time if I can shoot from the back instead of the front.
    After a ceremony was over this past summer the minitster searched for me while the folks were working the recieving line. He said that he sometimes has input into photographers and took my card, he said, he's never had anyone follow the rules as I have. I've never seen such a dark chuch, and there is no way to shoot without flash, so there's no fudging anything!!!

Again it sounds like I should mention that I would NEVER consider ignorance is bliss set up, I'd be mortified to do anything wrong...I just wondered how other people got away with it!

Thanks for all your input.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    I've never seen such a dark chuch, and there is no way to shoot without flash, so there's no fudging anything!!!

Don 't be afraid to ask somebody to turn up the lights... simple request and not usually more than a twist of the dimmers.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    Don 't be afraid to ask somebody to turn up the lights... simple request and not usually more than a twist of the dimmers.

Matt

Oh Mat, if it were only that simple. The insde of the church is picture this...
    Concrete (dark) and then the windows are stained glass are quite tall, but very narrow and because of the wall thickness, you have to be standing square on to them to even be able to see them. There are 2 hanging pot lights with stained glass covers on them, and the lights are up fully. It's unique to say for sure!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I have run across anything from "Do whatever you want" to no flash, no moving from wing to wing, no sneaking up behind the minister with a camera.

The church I attend only allows shooting from the balcony during the ceremony.

Once, for lack of real estate I stood shoulder to shoulder with a justice of the peace photographing the ceremony.

Either way, Its their show, their rules...and we must abide. The couple should be forwarned as well...and finding out on their wedding day is a tad late in my opinion. Attending the rehearsal can clear these matters as well as working with the coordinator on ambient lighting issues.

I NEVER try to "sneak" around the rules....and always provide the officiant a 5x7 of him/herself on my dime.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    Oh Mat, if it were only that simple. The insde of the church is picture this...
    Concrete (dark) and then the windows are stained glass are quite tall, but very narrow and because of the wall thickness, you have to be standing square on to them to even be able to see them. There are 2 hanging pot lights with stained glass covers on them, and the lights are up fully. It's unique to say for sure!

ok... so things aren't always that simple. This sounds like a rather gloomy room.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Yea - usually if you meetup and show the officiant how respectful you are and that you're not gonna be causing a distraction they will be cool. I typically stay in the back most of the time anyway. I shoot with a long lens - no flash - turn the beeping sounds of my camera off - turn my camera to quiet shutter mode and nobody even knows I'm there. :)

All this to say I have been scolded a few times by the "church lady" for doing things she asked me not to do because at the end of the day I'm not there to make her happy or the officiant happy - I'm there to please my client. So don't be afraid to break the rules from time to time but just be nice and apologetic when you do. :D

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    davidjay wrote:
    turn the beeping sounds of my camera off - turn my camera to quiet shutter mode and nobody even knows I'm there. :)

quiet shutter modene_nau.gif

Whats that? What camera do you use?
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cj99si wrote:

Quiet Shutter is a Live View Mode on a 40D, I think it keeps the mirror up and just fires the shutter no AF though. Never used it.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Quiet Shutter is a Live View Mode on a 40D, I think it keeps the mirror up and just fires the shutter no AF though. Never used it.

I have a 40D I'll have to look into it. my eyes suck so the manual focus might kill the idea for me.... Im confused though, you said you used that mode then you said you never used it at the end of this post.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cj99si wrote:
    I have a 40D I'll have to look into it. my eyes suck so the manual focus might kill the idea for me.... Im confused though, you said you used that mode then you said you never used it at the end of this post.

methinks davidjay said he used this mode.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    methinks davidjay said he used this mode.

Duh! Sorry, not thinking strait in the middle of processing a wedding. Wow.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cj99si wrote:

:) I shoot with the Mark III and on that camera it's called Silent mode but I know other cameras have a similar setting as well. It's a setting that takes the camera into single shot and it delays the mirror returning to position.

Top_LCD_S_WIth_Arrow.jpg

:)
    DJ

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    davidjay wrote:
    :) I shoot with the Mark III and on that camera it's called Silent mode but I know other cameras have a similar setting as well. It's a setting that takes the camera into single shot and it delays the mirror returning to position.

Top_LCD_S_WIth_Arrow.jpg

:)
    DJ

DJ I just checked out your website..wow. I like the Icon silouhette of you chimping...don't just own up to it...make it your own!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    DJ I just checked out your website..wow. I like the Icon silouhette of you chimping...don't just own up to it...make it your own!
    Hey thanks man! lol - I do chimp like a mad man although I promise I wasn't chimping for the photo deal.gif Here's the original shot. I swear I wasn't chimping. :D Although I don't think I'll ever convince people.

421705242_SPDrw-M-0.jpg

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I've never had any restrictions placed on me that weren't "duh" restrictions (like getting in front and all that)... it never occurred to me that there would be. Considering everyone there is hired by the bride and groom we are all working together to make their big day special...

then again most of the weddings I've been a part of as a photographer were done in the same church that I grew up in so I had an "in" ;) (most but not all)

and there are quite a few weddings where the pastor/minister was not the pastor of the church that they were in... so maybe I'm not the norm
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."