Help me out, please

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited November 17, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi guys,

We are going to try something new for this round. All of the entries will be going into a gallery. This will make for easier viewing, and will give us a way to provide good, constructive critiques along with the images.

I need you to do two things though. The first is to help make this not as time consuming for me:

In the title of your image, put your login name and the title, like this:

Greensquared - Forever Waking

Please, go ahead and change your titles for the current entries.

Next, I need you all to spend time giving each other thoughtful critiques. No "nice shot" and comments of the like, please. Even if all you have time for is to pick 5 images that you can find something thoughful to say, that is better than none. Your comments can be technical, like "a less entered composition may help", or they can be aesthetic, like "this image really moved me, I can feel the strain of the moment and the intense colors add to this effect", or "I'm really not feeling the emotion of this image. Perhaps processing it with an aged effect would help".

I think the gallery can prove to be a wonderful tool for your images and these challenges, but it requires your participation. The gallery will replace the feedback thread, so if you are wanting to have a personal top ten, just add to your critique "In my top ten". If we do not receive quality feedback in these galleries, then it is probably not worth the effort of creating them.

You guys have created an awesome community and this is a means to complete it. You all put so much effort into your entries and in providing help for each other in the opinion threads. Let's pull it together in a way that everyone benefits by expressing how each other's work moves us!:ivar
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Will do! thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Emily, you are nothing short of amazing - this is such a great idea! thumb.gif

One possible suggestion: the "feedback" thread often sparks further discussion - eg, the "behind the scenes" explanations - which might not be possible ONLY in gallery comments. Could we still have the feedback *discussion* thread even if our main comments on each photo are going in the gallery? We could link to specific images (and thus their comments) instead of doing lists/collages as in the past and that way keep the specific comments and traffic going to the gallery.

If that's going to cause more confusion or is simply a goofy idea by all means smack me down, but I really love the digressions and tangents in the discussion threads as well as the critiques and comments!

And, most importantly, thanks again for all you do iloveyou.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    nice post

rolleyes1.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Emily, I like that you are always working to make these challenges better! Moving the entries to a gallery once they have all been posted definitely should make it easier to view and critique the them.

I agree with divamum that it might be nice to keep a "discussion" thread and or a "behind the scenes" type of thread for the non-critique type of conversation that would be difficult to conduct in the gallery format.

As always, thanks for all your time and effort to keep this whole production going!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Emily, I like that you are always working to make these challenges better! Moving the entries to a gallery once they have all been posted definitely should make it easier to view and critique the them.

I agree with divamum that it might be nice to keep a "discussion" thread and or a "behind the scenes" type of thread for the non-critique type of conversation that would be difficult to conduct in the gallery format.

As always, thanks for all your time and effort to keep this whole production going!

You all are welcome to start any discussion threads you wish. That is what the forum is all about!

I'm simply saying that the only feedback thread I'll be starting is a link to the gallery. If the gallery is used well, it'll be great. If not, it'll get nixed.
    Emily

• KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Emily, you are nothing short of amazing - this is such a great idea! thumb.gif

One possible suggestion: the "feedback" thread often sparks further discussion - eg, the "behind the scenes" explanations - which might not be possible ONLY in gallery comments. Could we still have the feedback *discussion* thread even if our main comments on each photo are going in the gallery? We could link to specific images (and thus their comments) instead of doing lists/collages as in the past and that way keep the specific comments and traffic going to the gallery.

If that's going to cause more confusion or is simply a goofy idea by all means smack me down, but I really love the digressions and tangents in the discussion threads as well as the critiques and comments!

And, most importantly, thanks again for all you do iloveyou.gif

Considering that the link to the gallery has to be posted somewhere, I would think we could use the thread Emily uses to link the gallery as a discussion thread. :D
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
    edited November 15, 2008
    Okay, so I apologize if all of this is coming across in a negative way. I've been sick for like a month now, and so have my kids, so my outlook is a little blah.

The use of galleries is meant to be a really great thing and I'm super excited about its possibilities. I just need you all to let me know that it is something you want too. I want everyone to have fun with these challenges, as well as to learn and grow, so please keep the ideas coming!
    Emily

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Okay, so I apologize if all of this is coming across in a negative way. I've been sick for like a month now, and so have my kids, so my outlook is a little blah.

The use of galleries is meant to be a really great thing and I'm super excited about its possibilities. I just need you all to let me know that it is something you want too. I want everyone to have fun with these challenges, as well as to learn and grow, so please keep the ideas coming!

no negativity seen by me...ne_nau.gif

a month sick? yuck!!!
    im sorry, hope you get it fixed!!! its not the water is it? or mold in the vents...?

i have concern! its hard enough understanding you British without a stuffy head cold ...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 15, 2008
    What a wonderful idea!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 15, 2008
    Negative? Not at all! As always, you're working way above and beyond to benefit us dgrinners - I'm just grateful bowdown.gifbow(and I hope my comments weren't seen as nitpicking - I was just throwing out an additional idea for consideration!)

Thanks again, Emily.
    edited November 15, 2008
    no negativity seen by me...ne_nau.gif

a month sick? yuck!!!
    im sorry, hope you get it fixed!!! its not the water is it? or mold in the vents...?

i have concern! its hard enough understanding you British without a stuffy head cold ...:D

Oh bog off, you ruddy toss pot! (Said with friendly fondness, of course :D )
    Emily

edited November 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Negative? Not at all! As always, you're working way above and beyond to benefit us dgrinners - I'm just grateful bowdown.gifbow(and I hope my comments weren't seen as nitpicking - I was just throwing out an additional idea for consideration!)

Thanks again, Emily.

Thanks. Like I said, I feel ick, so my rose colored glasses are quite tarnished.

Hey...you know I was wondering something...

We have the Mega-Challenge coming up with a potential of 35 entrants. There's some doubles in there, so that's about 30 or so. At the same time we'll have Round 13. With the holidays here (at least in the US) and lower entry numbers, Round 13 could be really small on entrants. Just something to think about...
    Emily

edited November 15, 2008
    Oh bog off, you ruddy toss pot! (Said with friendly fondness, of course :D )

But what he's forgetting is that I'm a bilingual Angloyank too.... mwink.gif muahahahahhahahaha

Aaron, you're surrounded!!!rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    But what he's forgetting is that I'm a bilingual Angloyank too.... mwink.gif muahahahahhahahaha

Really? Yeah, but you're the one with class. I'm the Essex girl. mwink.gif
    Emily

edited November 15, 2008
    Really? Yeah, but you're the one with class. I'm the Essex girl. mwink.gif

HA! Actually, I lived in Souf' east Lond'n as a child, so I can speak Estuawy wiv the best... rolleyes1.gif (I also lived in/near Manchester for 10 years, but I REFUSE to succumb to 'eck-ee-thoomp-ee-bah-gum under any circmustances!!)

Ok, normal programming - in American - will now resume lol3.gif
    edited November 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:

surrounded by women....if that isnt any mans dream....:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 15, 2008
    surrounded by women....if that isnt any mans dream....:D

:giggle ok, fine....i will giggle at my own joke...eek7.gif:Drolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 16, 2008
    :giggle ok, fine....i will giggle at my own joke...eek7.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

I guess it takes a male to understand that one...being surrounded by women muttering incomprehensible statements doesn't sound like my kind of fun. Oh wait...you men never understand us...never mind...lol3.gif
    Emily

• thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008

What do you expect when you take a great language and stuff it up ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Charlie
    edited November 16, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    What do you expect when you take a great language and stuff it up ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Charlie

Is that another way of saying "get stuffed"?lol3.gif
    Emily

edited November 16, 2008
    I guess it takes a male to understand that one...being surrounded by women muttering incomprehensible statements doesn't sound like my kind of fun. Oh wait...you men never understand us...never mind...lol3.gif

Excellent reply, Emily!! :gigglemwink.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Looking forward to giving the gallery comment idea a test run! Thanks Emily clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    This will be fun, Emily! I'm also looking forward to this!!! clap.gif
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I don't know Emily, it sounds really complicated.rolleyes1.gif
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Dang - I didn't see this thread until the entry thread closed so I couldn't add my name.

Sorry for creating extra work for you...

And thanks for all you do!

Ken