Catchlights

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 16, 2008 in People
Ok, so I understand what they are and some of the ways that they are created eg eyes reflecting direct fill flash outside, studio light reflections in eyes etc etc

But I'm curious about this picture below. There was an overhead light and, while there is a window to the right of camera, it was dark outside (and assuming I'm reading thie shadows right, the main light source must have come from l of camera). To the best of my memory, the flash was bounced EITHER overhead or to the left (I can't remember which). But where'd those catchlights come from? The only thing I can think of is that there's a framed picture on the wall that's l of camera, and perhaps the light bounced off the glass? Or maybe I had the flash turned so it was at a partial angle to her eyes? (although I think the picture would have been brighter if it was more turned towards her).

IMG_0587s_filtered.jpg

So, I'm now fascinated by catchlights - how to get 'em, how to control 'em. Thoughts, tips and tricks for the n00bs among us?

Thanks (as always)!

(PS If this should have gone in Technique, apologies - it just seeemed pretty much directly "people" relevant, so I posted it here!)

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I get those tiny catchlights when I use my flash off camera with my camera as commander, even though my on camera flash is set not to contribute light to the picture. I edit them out if they look annoying.

Caroline
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Sweet look there.

I like the skin tone wings.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Catchlights simply are reflections of a lightsource. My guess , from the info you provided is that your flash bounced off the wall to your left provided the larger one. There is a tiny one that is coming from a different light source....possibly from the flash head itself though the location is odd if that is the case.

Some of the best catchlights can be had simply by shooting someone sitting on a porch, near a window, or as Mitchell has demonstrated in a garage with an open door. Large reflectors close to your subject can also do the trick.

This little man has a large pair of french doors in front of himself and to his left.
    338051068_GXq2r-L-1.jpg

Another...window light only...
    292795707_hB5qS-M-3.jpg

These are from an off camera flash...un modified
    290315016_vNqgg-L.jpg

Reflector only
    207572594_cRbv6-M.jpg

Here...catchlights in natural light shot on a porch...
    272056829_wxHFt-M-2.jpg
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I get those tiny catchlights when I use my flash off camera with my camera as commander, even though my on camera flash is set not to contribute light to the picture. I edit them out if they look annoying.

Caroline

Do you mean the tiny one? I didn't even SEE that until you and Jeff pointed it out! I was referring to the larger ones, which I like, so no worries there.

I'm pretty sure the small one would have been createad by the kitchen light fixture in the adjacent room (a small halogen spot fixture, one of which is pointed directly at where she was sitting).

Thanks for the reply :)
    edited November 15, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    Sweet look there.

I like the skin tone wings.gif

Thanks so much! I'm working a new laptop screen and no calibration system, so I'm kind of having to guess when I'm on this computer (I rely on CS3's "autolevels" and "autocolor" settings to at least put me in the ballpark, and then have to check against the other monitor ....)
    edited November 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    There is a tiny one that is coming from a different light source....possibly from the flash head itself though the location is odd if that is the case.

You know, I didn't even SEE the smaller one until you guys mentioned it - it was the big off-center one that got me thinking about this. I'll guess that the smaller one is from the small overhead halogen spot light in the adjacent kitchen (it points towards where she was sitting).

Thanks for the examples, Jeff! Once again you've taught me something - I always thought that catchlights were the result of a brighter reflected light source rather than *any* reflected light even from something diffuse like a bounce against a matt-painted wall (and it's not even white!).

I must admit I love catchlights - to me they're one of the things that give a portrait life - so I want to figure out how to ensure they're there instead of getting them by happy accident :)

Do you usually seem them as you shoot? I never notice their presence or absence until I'm looking at the pictures on the computer - does one's eye for that improve with experience?

Keep those comments and examples coming, folks - great information, as always!
    edited November 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    You know, I didn't even SEE the smaller one until you guys mentioned it - it was the big off-center one that got me thinking about this. I'll guess that the smaller one is from the small overhead halogen spot light in the adjacent kitchen (it points towards where she was sitting).

Thanks for the examples, Jeff! Once again you've taught me something - I always thought that catchlights were the result of a brighter reflected light source rather than *any* reflected light even from something diffuse like a bounce against a matt-painted wall (and it's not even white!).

I must admit I love catchlights - to me they're one of the things that give a portrait life - so I want to figure out how to ensure they're there instead of getting them by happy accident :)

Do you usually seem them as you shoot? I never notice their presence or absence until I'm looking at the pictures on the computer - does one's eye for that improve with experience?

Keep those comments and examples coming, folks - great information, as always!

If they are going to come from a flash you cannot really see those before you shoot.........from constant sources, you should be able to see before you even put the camera to your eye.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    If they are going to come from a flash you cannot really see those before you shoot.........from constant sources, you should be able to see before you even put the camera to your eye.
    Uhm, you can still see *some* if you have modeling lights turned on - which of course are kinda constant...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited November 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Uhm, you can still see *some* if you have modeling lights turned on - which of course are kinda constant...mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif ....you are absolutely right Nik...I was trying not to confuse the issue with the facts...:D

If memory serves, she is useing a shoe mounted 420EX speedlight. I don't think that the 420 has a modeling capability....of course I could be wrong there.

Either way, her sample photo sure does exemplify the best of why off camera or bounced flash always looks more natural than flash beaming from the camera.
    edited November 16, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif ....you are absolutely right Nik...I was trying not to confuse the issue with the facts...:D

If memory serves, she is useing a shoe mounted 420EX speedlight. I don't think that the 420 has a modeling capability....of course I could be wrong there.

Either way, her sample photo sure does exemplify the best of why off camera or bounced flash always looks more natural than flash beaming from the camera.

Yeah, speedlights... those are toughies... Especially with diffusers... One relatively simple and dirt-cheap solution (at least for the unmodified ones) is to get a little cheap AAA or AA powered flashlight (preferably white LED based) and attach it to the light head with a patch of gaffer/duct/scotch/electric tape. I tried this approach in Canyon De Chelly, it worked wonders. deal.gif
    edited November 16, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Facts? Don't be silly... lol
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Yes, well remembered! It was indeed a 420ex on the hotshoe used as a bounce (with FEC dialled down a stop or so). It has no modelling-light capacity that I'm aware of.

I was just interested in how one starts to *perceive* these things that are the bread-and-butter of the experienced photographer. I'm juusssstt beginning (and only inconsistently) to notice potentially distracting shadows before I shoot, so I wondered if seeing lights-in-eyes was one of those similar things that you just begin to process consciously once you've done it lots and lots! Of course, I didn't even think about the fact that you *can't* see flash flashes before they flash... duh... But yeah, I know what you mean!!

Thanks again!

jeffreaux2 wrote:

I think that means you like it??!! headscratch.gif ::looks hopeful:: If so then... YAY! (Inspired by some of your examples I've been experimenting with some vignetting, too - I had NO IDEA that one could do so much with a simple, low-opacity black layer.... I'm learning!)
    edited November 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, speedlights... those are toughies... Especially with diffusers... One relatively simple and dirt-cheap solution (at least for the unmodified ones) is to get a little cheap AAA or AA powered flashlight (preferably white LED based) and attach it to the light head with a patch of gaffer/duct/scotch/electric tape. I tried this approach in Canyon De Chelly, it worked wonders. deal.gif

Great tip! When I get to the point that I've got enough control over lighting to use that, I'll be giving it a try!

Seriously, while I think I'm beyond "point and shoot" I'm still at "set and hope" rather than always being certain what I'll get when I use the flash (especially since I just upgraded from the XT to the xsi and am still learning the new camera's preferences and abilities). I HATE overflashed shots, so I usually start with the FEC taking as much away as I can, but then I forget I'm losing light because I'm bouncing and have to readjust the FEC and/or bounce position and it's all a bit trial and error still. But even though I often don't get the settings quite right, at least my brain is starting to think about which things NEED setting before I push the shutter, so I guess I'm heading in the right direction!! :D
    edited November 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Great tip! When I get to the point that I've got enough control over lighting to use that, I'll be giving it a try!

Seriously, while I think I'm beyond "point and shoot" I'm still at "set and hope" rather than always being certain what I'll get when I use the flash (especially since I just upgraded from the XT to the xsi and am still learning the new camera's preferences and abilities). I HATE overflashed shots, so I usually start with the FEC taking as much away as I can, but then I forget I'm losing light because I'm bouncing and have to readjust the FEC and/or bounce position and it's all a bit trial and error still. But even though I often don't get the settings quite right, at least my brain is starting to think about which things NEED setting before I push the shutter, so I guess I'm heading in the right direction!! :D

To tell you the truth, the only case I use ETTL mode on the flash is when I'm shooting events, when the situation changes by the moment and I cannot possibly dial in correct exposure/flash power manually. In all other scenarios it's manual settings (at least for the flash).
    edited November 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    To tell you the truth, the only case I use ETTL mode on the flash is when I'm shooting events, when the situation changes by the moment and I cannot possibly dial in correct exposure/flash power manually. In all other scenarios it's manual settings (at least for the flash).

Unfortunately, the 420ex doesn't have a manual mode. Eventually I'll need one that does, but for the time being this - in combination with the FEC on the camera - is a good way to get started! :)
    edited November 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Unfortunately, the 420ex doesn't have a manual mode. Eventually I'll need one that does, but for the time being this - in combination with the FEC on the camera - is a good way to get started! :)
    Really?? I didn't know that.. That sucks...:cry Oh well, you work with what you have and make the best out of it. You may consider some el cheapo two light kit, they don't run too high, you can get it as low as 250..350, with stands and umblrellas. You'd prolly have to run a cord, but it's still beter than a non-manual speedlite..