macro shoot-out .. but no macro lens

ingemanningemann Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 18, 2008 in Holy Macro
First post here ..

Am invited to a macro shoot out at Copenhagen Botanical Garden .. tomorrow. I have no macro lens but a portrait / low light / walkaround lens lineup to chose from to my 40d (17-55 f/2.8, 35 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and 70-200 f/4) .... WHAT to bring in my two lens capacity bag????

Thanks for your help all ya macro'ers.

will post my results here later.

oh, almost forgot .. also have the G9 .. maybe thats better for this task?

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 15, 2008
    welcome, the canon g9 is probably going to be of most use, shoot raw in macro mode. will have more latitude for exposure correction.
    on slr take the 18-50, pity you havnt got a close up filter .
    if you are shooting flowers use wide open f2.8- f5 to isolate the subject, you dont want any distracting backgrounds in focus to take your eye away from main subject.
    good luck
    phil
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    ingemann wrote:
    First post here ..

Am invited to a macro shoot out at Copenhagen Botanical Garden .. tomorrow. I have no macro lens but a portrait / low light / walkaround lens lineup to chose from to my 40d (17-55 f/2.8, 35 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, and 70-200 f/4) .... WHAT to bring in my two lens capacity bag????

Thanks for your help all ya macro'ers.

will post my results here later.

oh, almost forgot .. also have the G9 .. maybe thats better for this task?

Hmmmmmm time zones really do suck!
    You've already been out shooting .... let us know how you went thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ingemanningemann Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2008
    wow .. thats tough
    I had no idea macro was this difficult. I managed to get hold of an old 100 2.8 macro lens from some distant family, and even had the chance to borrow a tripod. But I didn't realize any wind blowing would complete ruin any chance of getting a shot. And it was an outdoor shooting. Finally, when we were all tired of getting any shots, we tried to move inside, but their indoor exhibition closed just in front of us ... anyways, I did manage to get a shot that was not really macro, but nice anyways.

see if I can manage to post a pic here:

418242120_FseJx-XL.jpg
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,379 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    ingemann wrote:
    I had no idea macro was this difficult. I managed to get hold of an old 100 2.8 macro lens from some distant family, and even had the chance to borrow a tripod. But I didn't realize any wind blowing would complete ruin any chance of getting a shot. And it was an outdoor shooting. Finally, when we were all tired of getting any shots, we tried to move inside, but their indoor exhibition closed just in front of us ... anyways, I did manage to get a shot that was not really macro, but nice anyways.

So imagine doing it with the family in tow, e.g. on a "holiday" (aka annual intensive photo shoot) in a foreign country. rolleyes1.gif