Manhattan Street Scenes Prt. 2

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited November 19, 2008 in Landscapes
Images captured during a walk from Penn Station to the World Trade Center site. C&C appreciated.

416598743_UExZB-XL.jpg

404191261_CnRZC-XL.jpg

395740134_QWPCu-L.jpg

416613765_TiUVR-X2.jpg

396613857_239gi-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Bump for comments (positive or negative).
    One of the major benefits of participating in dgrin is the opportunity to put our work out there to be critiqued by other (often more accomplished) photographers. Kudos are great but constructive negative critique is actually more useful in the learning process and I welcome that.

Jack
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    John,

Nice set over all. As for the constructive criticism part here goes:

Everything looks a bit over sharpened. You've got halos around almost everything.
    I really like the composition of #2 and #5. #3 is a great shot, just a little OOF (or maybe to narrow a DOF?).

HTH, looking forward to seeing more.

-Trav
    Travis
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    That really does help Travis. These were hand held and appeared a bit soft at first (that day we walked from 34th st, to the world trade center site and I didn't feel like carrying a tripod). I do have a tendency to over sharpen in an attempt to achieve crispness. Guess I should roll that back a bit. Oddly, of the bunch I really like #1 best for the colors and shapes, and feel that it embodies the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. Guess it's a matter of "different strokes". As for # 3, I hadn't noticed what you did until you mentioned it. In hindsight, the exif is f/11 1/50 iso 640 at 95mm using a D80 and the 18-135 kit lens with no VR and I should have used a faster shutter speed.

Jack