Options

Lightroom Crashing

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited November 16, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I've had LR2 for a couple of days - love it! - but it seems super-sensitive or something.

What's happening is, every few frames, when I go to export, nothing happens. The export dialogue window does not appear, nor am I able to export under the file menu. Several times it just crashes on me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any ideas?

Otherwise, I just love this program, don't know why I deprived myself for so long, all for the sake of the $99 I spent at Academic Superstore.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    PS - I processed a ton of G9 files the other day with no problems (the G9 was the reason I broke down and got LR2).

The problem seems to be my 40D files.

All RAW.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 15, 2008
    Mac or Windows, Sara?

LR2 was locking up on me, frequently associated with printing, and I fixed it by deleting the preference list file for it on my Mac and that seemed to solve it.

There is an FAC about this on the Adobe site that may be of help, it was for me! -- http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404145&sliceId=2
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Sara505, you signed on to LR-forums, too. Pose the same question there. There are many more LR Gurus there!

Deleting prefs sometimes helps, but what also helps with better answers is knowing your system and the exact version of LR you are using.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    I was having serious lock-up issues with LR 2.1 working with 50D RAW files (I may still be having issues - just not had time to finish my testing). On advice of others, I updated the video driver for my (PC) video card.

I'm no expert - but take a look at various device drivers and see if there are any that could use updating.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mac or Windows, Sara?

LR2 was locking up on me, frequently associated with printing, and I fixed it by deleting the preference list file for it on my Mac and that seemed to solve it.

There is an FAC about this on the Adobe site that may be of help, it was for me! -- http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404145&sliceId=2

Windows XP

Based on a snippet I read over at LR forum, I uninstalled iTunes, rebooted, I'm getting a little more work time before crashes and freeze-ups.

And I will pose this question over there - from a cursory glance, this is not all that uncommon.

I'm about done for today though - my brain is fried. Over easy.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    I got the feeling from that thread I posted on Adobe about LR2 crashes, that this is not a rare phenomenon at all.

The reasons and cures seemed to be widespread without an apparent common denominator. This is not going to make folks happy who are wholly dependent on a data base program for access to their images, to have it be unstable in any way.

When My Lightroom would not open and run, I got a very cold feeling for quite a while. Fortunately, my experience was quickly resolved. But that link lists everything from pflists, to video drivers, print drivers, to re-installing LR, to rebuilding your hard drives. Yuck!!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I got the feeling from that thread I posted on Adobe about LR2 crashes, that this is not a rare phenomenon at all.

The reasons and cures seemed to be widespread without an apparent common denominator. This is not going to make folks happy who are wholly dependent on a data base program for access to their images, to have it be unstable in any way.

When My Lightroom would not open and run, I got a very cold feeling for quite a while. Fortunately, my experience was quickly resolved. But that link lists everything from pflists, to video drives, print drives, to re-installing LR, to rebuilding your hard drives. Yuck!!!

Good morning. I'm up and at 'em bright and early - trying to wade through a big wedding. Already the same problems are starting. I have a limited time in which to work on this this morning until I have to change channels for the rest of the day. Gonna plug through the best I can until I can get this resolved.

I'm a little discouraged, as so far I love this program, all except for the broken part. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    Again, what seems to work - or at least buy me a little time - is to reboot.

When I first began working this morning my machine had been on all night for uploading.

Same was true yesterday - machine had been on most of the day. LR performance improved after re-boot.

Perhaps that sheds a little light on the situation.

That's it for now.