Options

Which printer would you choose?

chetsphotoschetsphotos Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 16, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
If money were no object which printer would you buy (knowing what you now know). The thing is, footprint matters....your new printer must be able to fit into your existing situation. Of course, if I could afford it I'd probably but one of Epson's new $15K wide carriage printers, however, I'd have no place to put it. So, if you could afford it, what is your printer choice that would fit in your existing studio?
Chet

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    If money were no object which printer would you buy (knowing what you now know). The thing is, footprint matters....your new printer must be able to fit into your existing situation. Of course, if I could afford it I'd probably but one of Epson's new $15K wide carriage printers, however, I'd have no place to put it. So, if you could afford it, what is your printer choice that would fit in your existing studio?
    Chet

I have an Epson 3800 which is a nice printer for the size. I would have preferred a printer with a roll feeder, but didn't have space for it. The footprint of the 3800 isn't much larger than many 13" printers, but it has a 17" carriage (which I use occasionally) and uses 80ml ink cartridges which means the per print cost is considerably lower.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    I replaced my older Epson Stylus 4000 ( 1st generation Ultrachrome inks), with an Epson Stylus 3800 as well, and have been very pleased with it.

The 3800 uses the K3 Ultrachrome inks and creates lovely images up to 17 by 25 inches. I have had no problems with nozzle clogging with the 3800 either. It happened a lot with the 4000 series.

If money were no object, the Z3100 series from HP with built in spectrophotometers are very appealing also. The ability to profiles different papers quickly, easily, and accurately is very attractive for me,, but might not mean much to other folks.

Either the Canon, or the Epson giant carriage printers are really cool, but not practical for someone who does not do a great deal of 40 and 60 inch prints I beleive.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin